Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2003 1:13:45 PM EDT
What is considered normal and good? On my digital readout, it's 75 degrees and 50% humidity. I don't use a goldenrod either, just a carton of silica. It's only a 12-gun safe too. And do you store your ammo seperately?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 5:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I know the heating rod (goldenrod?) is not cheap, but like Troy wrote, the humidity could be improved.  Having both that and the silica is even better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#3]
jus my .02 but if ya wanna help draw moisture outa the safe, goto the Harley Davidson store and ask them for the moisture absorbers that the bikes come in, they are like a Foot long and 3 inches wide and weigh about 2-3 lbs. might be something to consider along with the golden rod. also temp. doesnt matter its the humidity that kills get it as low as possible. turn that biotch into a vacuum and get it to 0%, lol
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#4]
The temperature & humidity of your safe is irrelevant if you use VCI emitters to protect against corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently put a 40 light bulb in the bottom of my safe.  The humidity here in NM is only 20%-30% throughout the year anyway.  But I guess the heat will drop any remaining humidity to close to 0.  The temperature is in the low 80's.  Plus, I can see in it when I open the door, which is a great help as it's in a dark corner.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
As a new guy to ARs I don't feel I can really help in most of these discussions.  This one I can.  

I work in a museum and I can tell you that 20-30% is great BUT only if there are no wooden stocked guns in the cabinet. At 30% the wood can dry out, shrink and crack.  It will also pull away from the metal parts and loosen the whole gun.  If all you stock are EBRs then you are good to go.  

If you do use rifles with wood parts keep your humidity between 45-50% and keep a thin coat of oil on the metal.  

Aslo, if you have any wood stocks KEEP THE OIL OFF THE STOCK!!!  It will ruin the wood in time.  Use a micro-crystaline carnuba wax like Renaissance on the wood and oil on the metal.  You can also safely and effectivly use the wax on all external metal parts.  That is how museums preserve the really old guns.  I use the wax iff a gun will sit more than one month.  It fires fine and burns off just like light oil.  

George
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top