Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2003 9:33:53 PM EDT
The other day I saw a box of crappy .223 ammo that didn't say weather or not it was corrosive.
I'm not planning to use that stuff, but just out of curiousity, what is different about corrosive ammo? I mean, will it harm the gun? I've heard that if you shoot corrosive ammo, you must clean your barrel with windex or some other source of ammonia. Is this true?

Or does corrosive ammo mean that the primer will just give up one day and not work?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
i think it's some kind of salts in the primer or something like that.  i shoot it in my mausers and spray windex (with ammonia) down the tubes while they're still hot and then warm water when i get home.  you can get non corrosive .223 for cheap so why even bother with the corrosive stuff.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:40:05 AM EDT
[#2]
To my knowledge, there is no corrosive primed ammo for the AR15/M16 series. Given the nature of the gas operation, with direct impingment of the gas on the bolt carrier assy, corrosive ammo would have put the residue salts all over the inside of the rifle, and it would be next to impossible to keep the rifle from getting rusted up internally, in the field. Just because the box is grubby looking doesn't make the ammo harmful.

Of course, the nature of the packaging, whether grubby or sexy, also doesn't tell you a darned thing about accuracy or reliability either [:D]

Re cleaning rifles fired with corrosive ammo, why the heck would you use an ammonia based fluid, which will also eat up the steel, to clean out a steel piece?  Warm soapy water, followed by warm clear water, will dissolve the salts in the residue just fine all by itself.  Save the Windex for the windows[:D]
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:47:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Far too many people think corrosive ammo is a kiss of death!  Some primers contain salts which if left in a gun can attract moisture and cause corrosion.  The salts are not easily removed by petroleum based cleaners, but they ARE easily removed by hot soapy water, specialty cleaners such as used with black powder and ammonia.  Choose your own method....  Inspect the gun a day or two later for rust.  Corrosive ammo is a concern for the vast number of gun owners who do not clean their guns.  The rest of us enjoy the reliability and low price.

Corrosive primers are better than non-corrosive in low temperatures and for long term storage.  That is why some Eastern Bloc countries still use that chemistry.  Much of the 7.62x54R, 9mm, 8mm (and others)surplus ammo is corrosive.  Many of the old guns that used the stuff are still in good condition - 60 years later -  because they were CLEANED.  Solvents geared to the problem were available then, as now, and soldiers were trained to CLEAN their weapon properly to deal with the problem.  The development of non-corrosive chemistry has made us a bit lazy (me included) about cleaning after shooting.  I still shoot a lot of corrosive ammo and just clean those guns within a day or less.  Put about 3k rounds of Turk 8mm (very corrosive) through the 1919 last Sat.  Screwed the barrel out and stuck into a bucket of hot water and Dawn, ran a brush through from each end with the other in the water.  Looked at it twice this week and no corrosion even though it was another day before I oiled it!  Humidity here is about 95% right now too.  Advantage of HOT water is it will flash dry rather than lay there and rust.

Why did I shoot Turk when non-corrosive 30.06, .308 or even 8mm exist?

3000 x .05 = $ 150 (Turk 8mm).
3000 x .07 = $ 210 (Steel cased Romanian 8mm)  
3000 x .15 = $ 450 (.308).  
3000 x .25 = $ 750 (30.06)!!  

Granted .308 & 30.06 can be had a little cheaper but this is a decent estimate.
View Quote

What he said!
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been shooting "corrosive" ammo through a variety of old rifles and handguns for some time.

I should see how well the digital camera works so you can see the terrible damage it has wrought upon the bores.

I mean what 60to 80+ year old rifle should have a mirror like bore? Just disgusting how bad this ammo is.

The moral of this story?

CLEAN THE DAMN GUN.

Boiling water, a little soap and some sweat equity will let you hand it down to your grandkids.

Meplat-
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top