Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2003 7:51:59 PM EDT
I went out and fired my wife's AR today. Man that AK muzzle brake is LOUD!!! I may need to get a new barrel sometime in the near future. But it sure is fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to change that barrel BEFORE the wife tries her new rifle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I had two AR's with AK brakes, they shot great, but they were SOOOO LOUD!!! They had to go ... I know one should always wear hearing protection, but sometimes the Dillo's dont wait you to put them on!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I went from Mini-Y to bare muzzle 16" and you know what? It still completely eliminates my hearing in a single shot. Of course I only tried it once per barrel, but the truth is I think all ARs shorter the 20" will knock your hearing out with 1-2 shots.  I was still happier though because the blast was what pissed me off.  I don't know how that thing got adopted by BM...  

Does the AK brake cause a blast back at you? I've got one myself, but it's better version and it's on my Krebs Custom AK-74 [:D]  

It creates no backblast.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Does the AK brake cause a blast back at you? I've got one myself, but it's better version and it's on my Krebs Custom AK-74 [:D]  

It creates no backblast.
View Quote

mine dosen't put any of the blast back at me...  but i sat beside my friend as he shot my rifle once [:O]..   now I feel sorry for the poor bastards who have to sit beside me at the range (and i already felt sorry for the guys who sit on my right, who always gets covered in nice, warm, shiny brass. [:D])
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:32:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you guys tried earplugs?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:31:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I shot it with ear plugs. But I tried it without on one shot, OUCH! And yes there is a blast in your face. It will just have to go bye bye. Any ideas on who can do it or do I just get a new barrel? [8D]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I shot it with ear plugs. But I tried it without on one shot, OUCH! And yes there is a blast in your face. It will just have to go bye bye. Any ideas on who can do it or do I just get a new barrel? [8D]
View Quote

Just get a new barrel.  Send your old one to me.  [thinking]  I've been wanting a AK muzzle brake myself but I have a 16" DPMS .963" diameter barrel.
[img]http://members.cox.net/daphotoguy/DPMS_V.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went out and fired my wife's AR today. Man that AK muzzle brake is LOUD!!! I may need to get a new barrel sometime in the near future. But it sure is fun to shoot. [8D]
View Quote

My Oly M4 has their style brake on it, and actually, its not so bad. No back blast, plus you can take it off easily, 4 allens. Seems to work pretty good, no muzzle flip at all. Might wanna give it a whirl if you need a brake.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#9]
This is what I would like to do. "I have a 14-1/2" A2 upper with an AK brake on it making it 16" over all. I would like to trade for a 16" A2 Upper without a muzzle brake on it. It can be light, heavy or M4 profile. I will post pictures later." [8D]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Worst muzzle brake I've ever experienced is my JP Enterprises brake.    It has the ability to redirect the most harsh and painful portions of a muzzle blast directly back at the shooter.    Even on a 24inch barrel it is DEATH to the ears.   In 4+ years of owning the rifle I have fired it without hearing protection exactly 2 times, first was to find out how loud it was for educational purposes and the 2nd time was a mistake when I forgot to drop my hearing protection over my ears after trying to listen to a friend talk.

Just painful as all hell, I'd hate to think what a 300WinMag would be like with my brake installed on it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top