Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2003 9:10:46 AM EDT
Looking for some input/opinions on what to ask for my Colt Government Carbine. (preban) It's in excellent condition, has had about 1000 rounds fired through it. All original, no modifications. Original box. 16" bbl, collapsable stock. No sear block, slab side. I'm going to list it in the FS section, but I don't want to be unreasonable in asking price. I've seen some sell for over $2000. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Pre-bans sales are going to freeze up until next September.  You would be insane to buy a used rifle that in one year may lose 70% of its value to a new equivilent.
I say this because it will be hard to get a good price quote as people's theories on what to do is all over.    
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
17L2,
in the Government Carbine you have a weapon that is relatively scarce and that's good.  However, if you possibly can, wait until the first frost to sell as prices tend to be depressed in the hot summer months and to increase when the weather turns cooler.  Whatever you decide to do be sure and sell this year as I expect prices to decline as the possible expiration of the AWB approaches next year.  $2000 seems about right for your package.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input! I think you're right 5subslr5, the time to sell will be in a couple months. In the meantime, now might be a good time to pick up a preban Bushmaster at a fair price. I have a couple postbans but the Colt is my only preban and I want to have at least 1 with preban features just in case the AWB doesn't go away.

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#4]
So if you want to have at least one preban then why are selling your Colt.  Also, I couldn't understand by your post if it has a slabside lower or not.  I believe the slabside to be far less desirable.  Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
"So if you want to have at least one preban then why are selling your Colt. "

I want a rifle that I can modify, change uppers, try a different stock etc. Due to the collector value of the Colt in original form, I don't think it would be wise to play around with it. I don't want to ruin it's collector value. And it is a slab side.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Since it is a slab side it is less desirable. However, it is the most desirable weapon to own out of all the colt slab side versions. It would be Confusius smart to leave it in its current config..
GG
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top