Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2003 10:45:10 PM EDT
I will be getting an AR with a FAB-10 lower pretty soon. I know that it can have all the evil features but I`m wondering about the threaded muzzle. Can I place a flash hider on it or are flash hiders banned?

What flash hider should I get? Is the Vortex a good choice?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Vortex and Phantom FH's are my top two.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Vortex and Phantom FH's are my top two.
View Quote

Whats the difference between the two?  Where can I find the Phantom FH?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Yankee Hill Machine Co. Phantom flash hider:

[url]https://secure.valinet.com/~yankeeh/cgi-bin/web_store/web_store.cgi?page=products.html&&cart_id=4593095_19078[/url]

Here is the info on the Smith Enterprises Vortex flash hider:

[url]http://www.smithenterprise.com/vortex.html[/url]

Both are excellent with the Vortex having a slight edge over the Phantom.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I recomend the Phantoms. I have one of each on FAB's
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
That's what I thought. If it does not have a detachable box mag, it is not an assault rifle, PERIOD, according to ATF regulations, therefore can have all the features exept grenade launcher, which is a DD as someone stated before. Actually I am going to try to make a receiver similar to the FAB 10 from a regular AR15 stripped lower. All they did was weld shut the magwell and rivet a 10 round mag in place, and add $200 to the price. Surely I can do that in my workshop. It's just such a shame to castrate a perfectly good receiver like that, it makes me cringe (I don't live in Kalifornia) and my friends say they won't go to the range with me anymore if I do it but....to have all those features I miss so much...I don't know, might be worth the pain. Opinions on a Kalifornia receiver when not living in Kalifornia (to have all features, legally)? Would anyone else do this, or have I gone mad.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Actually I am going to try to make a receiver similar to the FAB 10 from a regular AR15 stripped lower. All they did was weld shut the magwell and rivet a 10 round mag in place, and add $200 to the price. Surely I can do that in my workshop.
View Quote

Not correct, read [url]gogogadgets.net[/url]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Use a USGI 30 instead of a 10 round mag.

After all, it's non-detachable. Why limit yourself to only 10 rounds. Hell, you could permanently mount a Beta C if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Notack, how is that different from a welded up magwell and riveted mag? I know they say it's not, because it is designed from the ground up with a closed mag well, but the effect is the same, it's all cosmetic, isn't it? I looked at the detialed pics, they have two rivets holding the mag in place. What would be different about he FAB10 from one I could make, in functionality or legality? I would like any input anyone cares to offer.

NAM - I think I would want to stick with a mag that could fit completely within the mag well so the bottom could be welded over, that way no one could argue that it is in anyway "removeable"
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After all, it's non-detachable. Why limit yourself to only 10 rounds. Hell, you could permanently mount a Beta C if you wanted to.
View Quote

Only if you load it for me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Only if you load it for me.
View Quote

lol....

What about those chinese converted steel drums?

don't they flip open from the back, and  you put the rounds in, close it, and crank it up?

Weld the mag release in place, maybe tack the mag in place, and you'd have one helluva good setup.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yankee Hill Machine Co. Phantom flash hider:

[url]https://secure.valinet.com/~yankeeh/cgi-bin/web_store/web_store.cgi?page=products.html&&cart_id=4593095_19078[/url]

Here is the info on the Smith Enterprises Vortex flash hider:

[url]http://www.smithenterprise.com/vortex.html[/url]

Both are excellent with the Vortex having a slight edge over the Phantom.
View Quote

I looked at the Phantom on the site you linked and then looked at the Phantom on Bushmasters site.  Why does the one from Bushmaster have a flat end while the other one doesnt?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top