Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2003 6:15:12 PM EDT
I'm considering my 2nd AR. (I lasted 6 months before no. 2.) Is a legal muzzle break on a post-ban really worth the extra work to clean or is it just a cosmetic noise enhancer. What is it supposed to do? My interest is purely cosmetic so I'd like to know If It just collects carbon build up or serves a function.
My first is an RRA 20" flat top w/ Eotech. I want to put the Eotech on a new 16" and get a nice Burris for the 20".
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
a muzzle brake is supposed to reduce muzzle rise allowing for quicker follow up shots, their are 'cosmetic' fake flash hiders and suppressors you can also get
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Having had an AR with a brake and another without a brake, I see no reason to have a brake on an AR15.
It only serves to raise the noise level to intolerable levels and annoy your fellow shooters. Recoil reduction is negligible.
If you expect to hunt with it or ever shoot without ear protection, I would avoid a brake.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#3]
My 16" carbine has a brake, my dissapater and my 20" flat top dont. It makes a bit more noise but it looks better on the carbine, with a collapsable stock. Its up to you.....
Its no bother to clean.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Muzzle brakes reduce felt recoil, and dampen muzzle rise, allowing you to make faster, more accurate followup shots. Even the lowly .223 has enough recoil to move the gun off target. The better ones DO work. The biggest advantag is that they offer protection for the muzzle crown. If you have strictly a pampered bench gun, then its probably no big deal. But on a serious hard use fighting gun, its invaluable. A fake flash supressor will help to do the same thing, without the muzzle control of the brake.
Anything is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#5]
The usual stated purpose of a muzzle break is to reduce recoil and muzzle rise.  An AR15 has virtually none of either so a break seems pointless since you can't reduce something that isn't there.  The only real differences made by a muzzle break on an AR15 are *a LOT* more noise and it's appearance.  Now a flash suppressor is extremely useful and makes a huge difference, but then you're talking preban and that's another story.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The usual stated purpose of a muzzle break is to reduce recoil and muzzle rise.  An AR15 has virtually none of either so a break seems pointless since you can't reduce something that isn't there.  The only real differences made by a muzzle break on an AR15 are *a LOT* more noise and it's appearance.  Now a flash suppressor is extremely useful and makes a huge difference, but then you're talking preban and that's another story.
View Quote

So your AR doesnt move off target when you fire it? There IS recoil and muzzle rise with an AR. Is it a lot? No. Does a brake help reduce what IS there? Yes.

Brakes do NOT make the gun any louder. They might re-direct some of the existing sound, but they dont create any.
A flash supresser is only really useful if you are shooting full auto and/or with night vision.

That all said, yes, I'd have a FS if I could, but, since all I have left are post ban AR's, there is not good reason to NOT have one of Kurts or Wilsons brakes on them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#7]
SEVEN POSTS and nobody has jumped on the "break" vs. "brake" thing yet?  Dang, you guys are getting all tolerant on me...  [:D]

edit to add:
Ditto to Hawkeye's comments above - I've had Kurt "brake" a few barrels for me and I've been very pleased with all of them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been very pleased with my Wilson brake. I had it installed primarily for cosmetic reasons, but it does allow faster follow up shots. I didn't really notice it at first, until I shot my friend's Bushy which has no brake. Some hate muzzle brakes, some like them.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/056104.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all your input. This question wouldn't be asked if I could simply thread one on, try it and remove it if I didn't like it. I think I'm going to put one on the new 16".

If worse comes to worse I'll just have to build another one.

And with that, I'm off like a prom dress.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#10]
How is the mini Y? I was also looking at a gun with the AK brake. It seems like thats all I see at the bushmaster site. I dont know to go with Bushmaster AK A3 Carbine, or the Bushmaster M4A3 16in Carbine.  

I found this info on bushmaster site for the AK, but nothing on the mini Y. Anyone know the % on the Y?

Reduces Felt Recoil 70% - Reduces Muzzle Climb 90%. This brake - thought to be originally an American design - is a copy in .223 caliber of the Russian Military brake standard on the AK74 Assault Rifle. It screws on pre-ban threaded barrels and locks in place of the flash hider. Muzzle climb is reduced by directing gas upward through three gas ports. Recoil is diminished by four 45° gas ports which direct gas at a 45° angle away from the weapon and a contoured flat at the end of the brake directs gas sideways. The two gas streams cancel each other and absorb the force of recoil - the best design found on the market today.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 3:14:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a mini-y on a BM M4 profile barrel and I like how it shoots, but HATE the sound it creates. I've heard other breaks on AR's and the mini-y is in my opinion the loudest of them. Since air pressure can create sound and muzzle breaks by design send some of that pressure back at you, of course its going to be louder. But the mini-y just seems EXETREMELY loud for the small recoil reduction it gives.. Asthetically I think its one of the best looking (on an AR) break.

Maybe our prayers will be answered this month and those of ur with postbans can stop annoying all your prebanners.. :P I might end up reigstering my M$ as an SBR so I can remove the muzzle attachments any time without going under the 16" limit. Thats assuming I get rich and can afford a can for it... :D
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
SEVEN POSTS and nobody has jumped on the "break" vs. "brake" thing yet?  Dang, you guys are getting all tolerant on me...  [:D]
View Quote

Come on- and no compensator vs. brake either.
You folks are disappointing or did everyone read the "Don't Sweat the Small Things" book?
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#13]
FWIW, there are a lot of "brakes" out there that are as effective, if not more so, than the standard issue A2 suppressor (the Miculek and AK-style variants come to mind). I understand that it's a whatever floats your boat area, however I do not particularly care for the flash being re-directed upwards into my line of sight.

As for the increased noise, it doesn't concern me that much simply because I wear ear-pro and  I go to the end of the firing line away from the other shooters. In a SHTF scenario, given the chance, I'd slip my Sonic II plugs in and go...the same as when I go hunting. And for those of you that haven't tried Sonic IIs, you're missing out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with Hawkeye's statements.

I have a Smith Enterprises post ban model on my BM 16" upper.  It works extremely well, isn't too loud and redirects flash in a positive manner.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top