Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2003 1:03:47 PM EDT
I'm here seeking some educated opinions concerning the Bushmaster M17S.  Here are some answers for the "what is it for?" questions.

Mainly for plinking.  Otherwise possible varmint, SHTF, home defense use.

Not intended for many upgrades, just optics and a rail under the front end for grips, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how these rifles hold up as far as durability and reliability.  If I put some decent optics on it, what kind of effective range could I expect?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say go for it. It's a Bushmaster.

But you may need to go with optics, I hear the iron sights are less effective and less refined than A-2 sights.

Effective ranges will be in the normal AR range.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never owned one, but I've got one on my wishlist. I think it would make an awesome home-defense carbine since the overall length is way shorter than a regular AR.

And as James said....It's a Bushmaster!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
My most recent purchase (Actually, also only my second firearm, after a SIG pistol). Full length barrel can't hurt range and accuracy, the iron sights are post-and-notched blade, just like a pistol. (And thus not the best in the world).

I'm sortof half-wondering how to attach a collapsible front grip to the thing, sortof like AUGs have. I'm not too confident at DIY work.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to go see if I can find one to see how it feels in my hands and at my shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]
It'll feel weird. Trust me. (Unless you're familiar with bullpups, of course). For example, the supporting hand can be either in the traditional position under the barrel, or you can bring it right back to just in front of the trigger which is a commonly used position. The center of balance is that far back.

You've got to muck around with it on the range or out in the country on exercise to really get used to it, otherwise you'll be comparing it to 'normal' rifles.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
By putting my left hand right in front of the trigger, the way you mentioned, can I avoid the heat that some people report?  Does the front of the gun really heat up that much?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
C4iGrant,

Your setup is really close to what I have in mind.  It looks great!  What impact do the added vents have?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My most recent purchase (Actually, also only my second firearm, after a SIG pistol). Full length barrel can't hurt range and accuracy, the iron sights are post-and-notched blade, just like a pistol. (And thus not the best in the world).

I'm sortof half-wondering how to attach a collapsible front grip to the thing, sortof like AUGs have. I'm not too confident at DIY work.

NTM
View Quote

There is a folding VFG, and you can get a length of picatinny rail to mount under the front end. Like peanut butter and chocolate.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Stryfe..

Any idea where I might find such a device and rough instructions on putting them together? Being somewhat new to the civilian combat rifle scene, I lack a little experience in home modifications.

Oh.. and I'm not a fan of peanut butter and chocolate...

NTM
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks Stryfe..

Any idea where I might find such a device and rough instructions on putting them together? Being somewhat new to the civilian combat rifle scene, I lack a little experience in home modifications.

Oh.. and I'm not a fan of peanut butter and chocolate...

NTM
View Quote

actually, I didn't, but then I saw someone mention it on another thread[url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/yhm-9560.asp]try this[/url].
I'm not sure about the rails. There are a lot of vendors that have them. The rails from [url=gggaz.com]GG&G[/url]are nice, but I'm not familiar with the M17 and don't know what the forend is like. If it's solid enough, you could drill holes for the bolts and you are good to go.
Kurts Kustom firearms is another good source, he's in the industry section.

edited to fix link.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I personally wish that BM would try updating the the M17's outer shell so as to give it some [i]style[/i].

It's not that I think bullpups are inherently ugly, it's just that this one is about as stylish as a MAC.  

It's too bad too, because I think it would be a VERY popular rifle if they did give it at least a little aesthetic quality. I would probably already have one if it had anywhere near the aesthetics of say, an AUG.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it feels awesome.  I want one.  I will say the sights are fat and I don't like the irons for ANYTHING outside of 25 yards, which they're designed for.  I'd definately toss a red dot on the rail and go nuts.

KKF from what I gather does upgrades on these.  I would think a lower profile rail and a picatinney rail underneath would be excellent.  That way you could mount a light and foregrip.

I hear the handguard gets warm quick.

I'd get one.  In fact...dammit...now I talked myself into getting one.

Thanks guys...it's my own fault my spending cash goes to firearms, but I'll still blame you all.

Cheers[beer], and good luck with your choice!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#15]
This rifle was to be my next project.  I did a heck of a lot of research on it.  I found several things.

1.  It is much easier to clean and is low maintenance because of its efficient gas system.
2.  Its cheap ($700.oo to $650.oo NIB)
3.  You need to have an optic on it asap
4.  You can customize it a little (KKF) [url]http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/42606.htm[/url]
5.  When you hold one for the first time, it feels like your holding a utility knife.
6.  It is the only bullpup I have seen on the US market.
7.  It takes AR15 mags.
8.  Its not for lefties.

I really did like this rifle.  But when I touched it at the gun shop, I thought I was holding a part to a 1973 refrigerator.  The feeling soon subsided after I thought of customizing it with a beed blasted urban camo job.
[image]http://mail.westerncom.net/~stevem/urban.jpg[/image]
[image]http://mail.westerncom.net/~stevem/decked.jpg[/image]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:28:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had one for several years and have found it to be accurate and reliable even with a cheap tasco red dot sight. One complaint...its too damn heavy! So when I hike the woods, the nice lightweight AR goes with me, and the bullpup stay in the gunsafe! :)
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't konw much about the M17 except for that the iron sights aren't the best in the world.

Other then that i know a bit about the bullpup design, and i'm a great fan of it! Think about it, you can have a 21.5 Inch barrrel, with an overall length of 30 inches! (in the M17 case)
Also, when fired from the hip, your firearm would produde less from your body than a pistol would (though your shots may not be very accurate, you should still be able to hit a man sizes object within 15 meters. In my opinion, it's what i would reach for in a home defense situation. I think it would be the best choice if thats what you're going to use it for.
I'd say go for it! It's a BUSHMASTER, so you can't go wrong with quality.
If you like the bullpup design and have alot of cash to spend i'd say get a Styer Aug.
I know this dealer in tampa who sells them new for $2700. I'm getting one from him as soon as i have the cash.
My 2¢
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the replies.  I'm glad to have a forum with so much knowledge to tap into.  I also appreciate the examples of how people have customized their rifles.  Very good ideas, both for grips and optics setups.

Lockedon,

With my budget (thanks to the lousy economy) pulling together $700.00 is a good challenge, let alone $2,700.00.  You must be doing pretty well.  I'll just sit here and be envious.  Considering how economic it is, the M17S looks like a pretty good choice for my needs.  It comes from Bushmaster, so quality shouldn't be a problem.  

It's time for me to start scraping together my pennies.  It's going to take me a few months still to get the money together, but the anticipation of getting a new gun is half the fun.  Also, when the 1994 Feinstein/Clinton ban sunsets (let's pray it does), Bushmaster can put enough threading back onto the M17S for a flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#19]
ConLima,
That camo is too cool, how did you do it.  Did you use black tape for the pattern?

Doc
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#20]
The sights on the M17 are there as a last resort.  They were never intended to be your primary method for aiming the weapon and should not be criticized for not being match quality.  They are meant to save your ass if your optics fail.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  I'm glad to have a forum with so much knowledge to tap into.  I also appreciate the examples of how people have customized their rifles.  Very good ideas, both for grips and optics setups.

Lockedon,

With my budget (thanks to the lousy economy) pulling together $700.00 is a good challenge, let alone $2,700.00.  You must be doing pretty well.  I'll just sit here and be envious.  Considering how economic it is, the M17S looks like a pretty good choice for my needs.  It comes from Bushmaster, so quality shouldn't be a problem.  

It's time for me to start scraping together my pennies.  It's going to take me a few months still to get the money together, but the anticipation of getting a new gun is half the fun.  Also, when the 1994 Feinstein/Clinton ban sunsets (let's pray it does), Bushmaster can put enough threading back onto the M17S for a flash suppressor.
View Quote

Have you considered the AR180B?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I admit I hadn't looked at the AR180B.  I hadn't looked at Armalites because the name tends to indicate high costs.  Other than the sights, what advantages do the 180B have?  It's already about 8 inches longer than the M17S, though a little lighter.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top