Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2003 4:24:43 PM EDT
I just got my new Bushmaster AR-15 today and was going to set my sights for center shot and noticed that the whole housing for the peep and left and right adjuster  is turned towards the left. You can move it with your fingers to line it up straight with the carrying handle but when you let go it springs back to the left>. Is this common with the back sight housing tilted to one side and not straight. I1m new please help!
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
My new Oly CAR97 is the same way, I about s*#t when I found it, but customer service told me it is normal, part of the sight detent ball and spring. Actually, you can't even notice it when sighting. Just another little AR quirk.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as it springs back, you’re fine.

For the truly fastidious, I believe there are aftermarket sight housings available with pads that can be hand fitted to the carry handle to line the housing up perfectly straight.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just got my new Bushmaster AR-15 today and was going to set my sights for center shot and noticed that the whole housing for the peep and left and right adjuster  is turned towards the left. You can move it with your fingers to line it up straight with the carrying handle but when you let go it springs back to the left>. Is this common with the back sight housing tilted to one side and not straight. I1m new please help!
View Quote

-------

Like others said this is normal. The spring that causes the sight to be slightly canted keeps it in the same position everytime.

Read this;

[url]http://www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote18.htm[/url]

Although it's an armalite technote, its the same for all mil spec A-2 rear sight assemblies.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the same concern with mine, but after reading the manual, I was relieved.  However, I still wanted it to be straight, so I figured that if you put some JB Weld on the side rubbing, and sand it down to the right thickness, it would take care of it.  I haven't tried it yet, because I can't figure out how to take apart my rear sight, but if anyone tries it, keep us posted on how it works.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The worst A2 sights I have are on an older Oly I bought back in the late 80s. The Bushmaster I have has a lot less space between the handle and the front of the sight base. The RRA tactical sight for my flat top upper has hardly any twist in the sight base at all. I have heard of gunsmiths building up the front edge of the sight base with a bead of weld and smoothing it down to take the slop out. Then others have drilled another hole on the sight base and added another spring with ball bearing on the opposite of the sight base to counter act the twist. I think Armalite recommends not doing this. I think I will try the welding method on the older OLY, as I can live the cant on the BM and RRA. I wonder if anybody elese on the board has had the bead of weld method done?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Woohoo, I love my A1 sights.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#7]
If it [b]really[/b] bothers you, Accuracy Speaks sells a sight base with a pad for [b]$63!![/b] [:O]

See item number 3: [url]www.accuracyspeaks.com/parts.htm[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top