Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2003 2:13:56 PM EDT
guys, here recently i got all colors of lucky and acquired a NIB, never fired, colt sporter match hbar pre-ban ar15.

this is good timing, as i could use some money anyway, and while my general rule it to never sell any gun, im having to make an exception.

so, questions:  how much is this gun worth in this condition? (box, plastic sleeve, everything)  i was thinking $22-$2500, am i way off on this?
it has the reinforced right receiver side with the ridges around the mag release, and a push-pin, yet still screw tipped on one side front pin.  also, it has a flash suppressor but no bayonet lug, did colt fold on that prior to the ban?
serial # is MH 074 XXXX
model # 6601

really just want to know all i can about this gun before i sell it, thanks.

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that you will have a tough time getting over $2000 for a 20" preban. You should check the EE for prices and also look on gunbroker.com. There seem to be 10 times more prebans for sale now than 6 months ago so supply is bringing the prices down.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
the selling points on this gun would be that its a colt, its a preban, and its NIB.  i certainly wouldnt expect $2000 for some off brand used pre-ban...............

and yes, i expect alot of people think theres a possibility of the ban sunsetting and these guns going down in value...............well, call me a pessimist, but the world is too full of pussies nowadays for me to think we can ever gain freedom back.  and if the ban doesnt sunset, then this SOB is going to be worth a bunch more in the future.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Really just want to know all I can about this gun before I sell it.
View Quote

Since it has a pivot pin with one side being a screw it is a small-hole pivot, which is desirable. As for the missing bayonet lug, yeah Colt dropped them voluntarily to make the rifles "more PC". More than likely it has a sear block (which is no big deal), but the lack thereof would also make it more desirable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Price is way off. But, good luck [:)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]
In this economy...$1600 max. And you'd be lucky to see it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought the same thing (unfired NIB Colt preban Sporter, etc) for $1500.  $2200 is crazy.  But there ARE crazy people out there...
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up a 6600 for 1400.00. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#8]
well, i put it in the EE for $2200 obo as i need to sell it. to tell you the truth though, it wouldnt hurt my feelings a damn bit to not sell it and "have" to keep it.  its a beautiful gun.  in fact, if somebody offers me $900 for my <100 rounds through it bushmaster ar15 A3 20" hbar or $1200 for my <200 rounds through it armalite ar-10 a2c then i may entertain keeping the SOB.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought this exact same rifle off the EE a few weeks back for $1300 in the same condition.  Nobody who knows anything about Colt prebans will pay anywhere near your price.  That's just insane.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#10]
well im just happy as a little fucking school girl for yall, i really am..............but a fairly high profile FFL on this website just quoted the value of this particular gun at $1950 so you "insanity" naysayers can go sit and spin.  damn, hope yall got off on that shit or something....................

p.s. a new colt post ban will bring $1100, you dont think that maybe a pre-ban gun thats sat for 10 yrs unfired might bring some kind of fucking premium?!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think that most here are looking to be negative but more than likely the awb will sunset and a lot of people are either waiting for it to happen and then buy or those who are selling are trying to get as much as they can before the price drops out from under the pre-bans.  I, for one, would not pay premium prices for something that will plummet in value a year from now.  Unless there is a big shove to stop the awb from disappearing (which is not gonna happen given the strongly represented republican party in place in the senate and congress, many of which are very vocal about letting it sunset), the supporters will continue to stay in place while it sunsets ...elections aren't until november.

But it sounds like you made a great find, just have fun with it.  Otherwise, you'll get caught up in the flood of people who are trying to sell pre-bans.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#12]
ah, who knows, when i got it i figured on selling it but i also figured that if i didnt or couldnt.............its still a NIB colt and still would command at least $1100.  but like i said, im a pessimist, i want to see the ban die, die, die, for the sake of all my post bans, but im not gonna count my chickens right now................  but, once again, if the ban comes back to bite us all in the ass, this gun is gonna be worth that much more.

would rather sell my armalite though.......anybody need an ar-10 for their collection?
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#13]
The other reason it will be almost impossible to get that kind of money for a NIB preban Colt is the person buying it would be paying a big premium because it is new. To keep it's value you can't shoot it. The person buying it for that price would have to put it away as a collectors item. If not why not pay the $1300-$1500 for a used one that you could shoot without losing allot of it's value. I would think that he could get $1700-$1800 for it though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
well im just happy as a little fucking school girl for yall, i really am..............but a fairly high profile FFL on this website just quoted the value of this particular gun at $1950 so you "insanity" naysayers can go sit and spin.  damn, hope yall got off on that shit or something....................

p.s. a new colt post ban will bring $1100, you dont think that maybe a pre-ban gun thats sat for 10 yrs unfired might bring some kind of fucking premium?!?!?!?!
View Quote

Grow up.  You wanted opinions...Then when they come rolling in, you whine?  

But I guess using the word "fucking" as an adjective in every other sentence really displays your expertise...you sure showed us.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#15]
if you'll read the posting in its entirety you'd see that i appreciated everyones posting..........up until 00_dipshit showed up.  it was to him i was referring, i apologize to the others that posted before him if they thought i was somehow venting at them, it was not my meaning.  if you will look at my postings after that, im clearly not whining, in fact, an update, i have sold the armalite and am going to keep the colt.

as for buckshot..........

I just bought this exact same rifle off the EE a few weeks back for $1300 in the same condition. Nobody who knows anything about Colt prebans will pay anywhere near your price. That's just insane.
View Quote

you really think i'd come in asking about colts if i knew much about them?  think...........
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Brand new I bought mine a 6601 in 92 11 years ago I payed $650 plus tax almost 700 so I say the condition its in it would bring close to double of what you paid,so I would say 12 to $1300 even though it has the small front pin you can get a preban bushy for 12 to 1400 and no big lower receiver fire control parts or receiver block,in any event it is a beautiful looking rifle,so add about 500 to what you originaly paid and you just might sell it,unless you bought it more recently and paid big bucks for it ,if so keep it and have fun shooting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
...a fairly high profile FFL on this website just quoted the value of this particular gun at $1950...
View Quote

Tex, you have to understand something. I see these guns all day long, with price tags like that. I have [b]NEVER[/b] actually seen one sell for that price. And yes, your asking price is insane. I could buy one of George Gardner's fully decked out precision rifles for that kind of money. In the present economy, your rifle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That current price is hovering at right around $1400. If you paid more than that for this gun, I hope the guy you bought it from, kissed you before he screwed you. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Its been a few months like 2 but Bachman pawn and Gun in dallas was selling post ban colts for 900.00

Your NIB preban non milspec trigger group pin sear blocked Colt I doubt will bring about 1100-1300 at very best....

Last preban I bought off the boards was a 762 preban COlt for 900........

2200-2500 No way...
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#19]
What part of Texas are you in? Depending on location and variation of the MT, $1250-1800. There's a LOT of variance depending on where you're at. Is your MT searblocked, and does it have the large trigger pins? If so, maybe max of $1550 or so. If it has only one of those undesirable features, maybe $1650. It it's a white label gun without either feature, then you could virtually name any price you wanted...

-Cap'n
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top