Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2003 6:51:27 PM EDT
Finally received my lower this evening to complete my very first AR!  I say finally, but it only took maybe two weeks to get everything.  Every piece of this project has come from the EE.  Listed below is where I got everything.  I have to plug each of these guys, they were all excellent:
Del-Ton: RRA M4 Flat top Upper
CMMG: DPMS Lower with Ace ARFX-E Stock and G27 Grip.
libertyman777: Two 20 Rd mags
ArmyInf: Arms#40, Aimpoint ML2 with Arms22M68&full spacer.
And tomorrow I will be ordering:
Jeff @ CQB Solutions SOP 3 Point sling.

The setup doesn't seem to be anything too unique, but I haven't seen too many people with the Ace ARFX-E.  Pics below.  Going out Saturday night to sight in and then I will be at the FDCC Club in Lake City Florida next week.  Neal, if you are reading, check out the pic.  There will be yet another AR15/HK Handgun combo at this months shoot!
Any recommendations as to anything I should do before taking her out to be sighted in?  Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks very cool!

Now go out and shoot [:D]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Your upper is the same setup I am working on now with the ARMS #40 and 22M68 with the spacer.  Once you shoot it let us know how you like it.  Looks good.  
What is the length on your ACE stock and where did you get it?  That may be the perfect stock to put on my post ban SBR 9mm project.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice rifle and I like the handgun. I also own a stainless steel HK .45 compact and they are a great handgun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quite a nice setup, I'm thinking of building one similar except I'm going with a Aimpoint M2, Arms S.I.R., and a M900.  Thanks for posting this it's let me get a visualization as to what my setup will end up as.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:06:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks nice!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:31:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the compliments!  
SniperM88: The stock is an ACE ARFX-E.  I got mine already installed on the lower I purchased from CMMG, Inc. [url]www.cmmginc.com[/url]
It runs $116 without buffer and spring and $130 with.  Then again, you can get a DPMS lower with stock for $289 from these guys.  
I can't remember the exact length, there is a link floating around somewhere...never mind, found it.  Go to: [url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/stocks.msnw[/url]
This link is really good for figuring out lengths and stuff.  The ACE ARFX-E that I have has the full 1" spacer on the back making it 8.25".  For a lot of people that is too short, but [b]I'm[/b] short!  It fits me perfectly and I like the compactness of the rifle with this stock.
Leadfoot, thanks.  It's actually a USP Compact in .40.  My very first firearm.  I love it!
I'm probably not done with this project as I would like to mount a light at sometime.  To do that means I need a SIR or RAS or something along those lines. [:D]  Of course those things cost money, and with everything I just dropped getting this put together I have to be done spending for a while!
I'll post a range report once I get it out to the range.[bounce]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I like it, and I usually don't like anything but an iron sited base model.  Nice setup, good quality parts.  Now, go try to wear it out!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks awsome, if yea dont mind me asking, how much did all this cost yea, - the optic?

TG
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#12]
sweet carbine. but why not go the extra step and have the barrel taken to 14.5, so it is 16" w/brake instead of 16" + brake? that would make it uberCQBish. seems like that's the direction you are going in anyhow with the short ARFX stock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice looking rifle.  My first firearm is aslo an HK USP.  Looking at purchasing an AR as well now and have considered building one myself.  Can you give me a price break down of what it cost you to put this one together?  Also, what, if any any, are the reliabilty/performance issues of using an upper and a lower from two different manufacturers?  How close does the finish on the two match?  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]
very nice setup!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
sweet carbine. but why not go the extra step and have the barrel taken to 14.5, so it is 16" w/brake instead of 16" + brake? that would make it uberCQBish. seems like that's the direction you are going in anyhow with the short ARFX stock.
View Quote

2Minkey, that's the M4gery Upper from RRA...that faux flash hider is pressed on and doesn't add to the length.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Very nicely done...looks about perfect.  I have the full length Ace on my M4gery...but I like the shorty one you have...with that extra length from the pad, it should be just about right.    

It might be helpful to some noobs---and a few veterans---to let us know how much you spent getting it together, if you don't mind.  I'm curious as to how much you can save going that route.  I'm gonna be addicting several friends...I mean helping several buddies build rifles, and I'm curious what a little wheeling and dealing can accomplish.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

2Minkey, that's the M4gery Upper from RRA...that faux flash hider is pressed on and doesn't add to the length.  
View Quote

yeah appears my sense of proportion is off today, and the usual RRA faux hider does make sense.

Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Lookin good JR. Get it sighted in and get ready to rumble.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow, lots o' questions. Let me see if I can get them answered:
2minkey:  Ultra CQB is exactly what I am aiming at here.  As was pointed out, this fake flash hider doesn't add to the length, but I may still have it removed, shortened and a brake installed.  Just haven't gotten that far yet (and don't have any more money right now![:D])
Now, for all the requests for a price check [;)]:
Here's the breakdown:
[b]Upper[/b]: RRA M4 Flat Top from Del-Ton@$470+$14(I think)shipping (had more as of 8/11/03 on EE)
[b]Lower[/b]: DPMS w/Ace stock and G27 Grip from CMMG@$310+$10shipping(still for sale on EE)
[b]Arms40, Aimpoint and Aimpoint mount[/b]:ArmyInf@$488+$6 shipping
[b]CQB Sling[/b]: Will run me about $40 today through Jeff @CQB direct.
[b]magazines[/b]:2 20rds bought from Libertyman777 on EE and one 30Rd bought at local store, total of $80.

That comes to $1418 for the rifle with everything, or $893 or so for the rifle by itself with iron sights and no mags(including the Arms#40).  I made most of my choices based on two things: Price and immediate availability (the gotta have now syndrome).  That being the case I passed up one place that had [b]excellent[/b] pricing.  OnPoint Firearms: [url]www.onpointfirearms.com[/url]
This place had excellent prices and Evan over there was great with answering my questions.  Unfortuantely they did not have the ability to add the Ace stock to an RRA, just a Bushmaster. Now if you weren't looking for the Ace and you can wait, you have [b]GOT[/b] to check out the deal these guys have. It is called "The Ultimate tactical Solution".  Pretty much everything on my gun with a few differences for $1275!  They go with a different mount for the Aimpoint, the stock is a standard M4 and the sling is the standard CQB 3-point, but you also get one 10rd and one 30rd mag.  And like I said, Evan was a great guy so if you are looking for a package like this, drop him a line!

I can't say enough about the vendors on this site.  Everyone has been head and shoulders above what I am used to in customer service.  The rest of the world could really learn a thing or two from these guys.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I promised a range report, so here goes.
Please understand that I am pretty much a rank amateur to AR15s and rifles in general, so if I say something stupid in here, please forgive me. [:)]
Some details to start off with.  I took it out to a local indoor range that has a 50 yrd rifle range.  Was shooting Winchester USA brand 55gr from Sports Authority (not Q3131A) as the ammo I ordered on line won't arrive for another week.
I started off attempting to battlesight the Arms40 @50yrds.  Yes, that's right I said attempting.  What I learned is this, [i]I need more practice![/i] [:D]  Both the Arms BUIS and the Aimpoint were very close to zeroed as they were.  Or course that takes into consideration that none of my groups at 50 yrds were very tight.  Closer in (25yrds and less) it was much better.  Like I said, I think I just need to get out and practice some basic marksmanship so that I can get a better idea of exactly how well the rifle shoots.  At this point it shoots [b]WAY[/b] better than me.
I have a question for all of you out there on the Arms40 though.  With my nose to the charging handle it almost seemed like I was too close to the sight.  The ring was almost completely ghosted which made it kind of difficult to keep the front post in the same spot for each shot.  The tip of the post [i]is[/i] supposed to be dirrectly in the center of the ring, correct?
I really like the aimpoint.  I was happily surprised to see that I didn't have any problems with cross-eye dominance.  I'm right handed and left eye dominant and it didn't make a bit of difference.  I can't shoot iron sights without closing my left eye, but with the aimpoint I can shoot both eyes open no problem.
I also really liked the compactness of this rifle.  It seems very quick.  Of course, I'll find out if that is really the case this coming weekend at the FDCC shoot, but I have a feeling I will confirm my initial assement.
I ran into a few (3-4) FTF problems.  Each one had the round cocked in the chamber not allowing the bolt to close all the way.  The tip of the round was pointed to the left of the bore.  I was using a GI 20rd mag.  Any thoughts on that?  Probably the non-Q3131A USA ammo?
Overall, very happy with this rifle! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, the large app is going to be very ghosted. It should be. Zero with your small app to get the shots more precise. Then go back to the large app for general close quarters work.

As for the malfunctions, could be the ammo, or, most likely, the rifle just needs to get broke in some. Once you have a few rounds through it, and all the rubbing srufaces have a chance to mate together and polish each other, it makes a difference. Check your mags though just to be sure. Look at the feed lips and make sure none are bent, or cracked. Look at them from the rear of the mag to find the cracks. Other than that, just shoot it some more and seehow it goes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#22]
That's kind of what I figured might be the case Hawkeye.  I get more ammo, my case and my Otis cleaning case about the middle of this week so I'll probably try to get out again towards the end of the week, maybe saturday before heading up to Lake City.  Don't think I will have my sling in time though. [:(] Talked with Jeff at CQB Solutions on Friday and he is shipping on Monday. Being in California it probably won't make it here until the following monday.  Can't really complain though, as I'm not paying shipping! [bounce]
I will miss it at the shoot next weekend though.
Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#23]
UPDATE!
I wanted to post this last night but I got in too late.  As you know if you read the above post I was expecting to have to go to the FDCC shoot this weekend without a sling.  I ordered an SOP directly from Jeff @ CQB Solutions last friday.  At the time he had told me it would be about 5 days from when he shipped it which he figured would be Monday.  He had already offered (let me make sure I make this clear, I didn't ask, he [b]offered[/b]) to pick up shipping so I wasn't about to ask him to ship the sling any sooner or via an expedited ship method.  I was already [b]very[/b] impressed with the amount of service Jeff had provided.   He had read a post on the Sling and Other accessories board where I had asked a question about slings and had emailed/im'd me and answered every question I fired at him (and there were quite a few).
Well, to get to the point, I came home last night to find my sling waiting for me in my door...delivered UPS 3 Day Select!
In the process of setting up this project I have come to expect a level of service above what I am used to in the "real world", but I must say that Jeff was definately a level above even that norm.
Long story short, if you need [b]anything[/b] that can be supplied by CQB solutions, CALL JEFF!!!!!!![:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top