Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2003 5:28:53 PM EDT
Newby question:  What is meant by the term "co-witness"?  This is in reference to mounting a red dot type scope on a flattop.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The way I understand it is when you mount two sights in front of each other. Such as mounting your night vision right behind your red dot so when you look through you nv scope you are also looking through your red dot.

Steve

I'll look for pics...
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Basically, co-witnessing has to do with being able to see the iron sights through any type of scope you have mounted.  Usually, you can co-witness with red-dot sights, such as Aimpoints or EOTechs as long as their installation height (either to the flattop A3 ARs or with proper A2 mounts) allows you to be able to view the iron sights through their sight radius or tube.  

So incase the SHTF and you Aimpoint battery dies and you need to properly aim your shots, you can still sight with the iron sights.  

Also, if you do have or want to get an A3 style AR, make sure that you get a flip-up rear sight such as an ARMS #40 so that you will be able to co-witness.  This is because when you remove the carrying handle to mount a sight to the flattop, you also remove the rear peep sight.  Hopes this helps.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
co-witness
[img]http://home.nc.rr.com/blueshockey77/ar15.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of sling is that and where did you get it?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:48:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What kind of sling is that and where did you get it?
View Quote

CQB Solutions Sling on a GG&G single point plate. I'll post the website where I purchased both later today.

great people to deal with...
[url]http://www.operationparts.com/[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top