Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2003 5:25:27 PM EDT
I'm looking to use a bushy 16" barrel, do I need to purchase a barrel extension?  Sorry for the ignorance.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The barrel extensuion is the portion of the barrel that includes the locking lugs that engage the bolt lugs to lock the action.  Think of it as a perminant part of the barrel.  Never remove it and never buy a barrel without one.  Because of the way AR barrels are manufactured different barrel extensions are not interchangable without messing up head your space.  Chances are that any barrel you buy from a reputable source will have a barrel extension already installed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  that set my mind at ease.  I'm buying a bushy barrel and I'll ask whether it's included when placing my order.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It is and they are head spaced at the factory,even barrel only assemblys have the extension.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
well that does sound like exactly what I'm looking for.  thanks again guys.  has anyone tried out olympic barrels?  they're cheap, I'm wondering if the quality is cheap as well.  Though I'm pretty drawn to the bushy barrels.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Bushy and colt and CMMG are the best colt is pricey but bushy and the CMMG M4 is chrome lined 1/7 like colt,colt is 1/7 but some times they are not chrome lined and they are pricey bushy has every variety and they are lined,both colt and bushy use 4150 stell MP"magnetic particle inspected"and ive heard the colt M4 bolts are the strongest if you can find one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top