Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2003 6:03:29 PM EDT
Had to stick AR in there just so everyone knows this has something to do with ARs!
Getting all my accessories together for my first AR and I'm intrigued by the OTIS cleaning kits.  Anyone use them, and if so what do you have to say about them?

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Otis is all I use.  I have about 5-6 of the kits, Excellent.  Very portable, patch goes through bore the correct direction.

I only use a cleaning rod (coated) to tap out jammed rounds (*cough* Wolf *cough*) and squib loads.

Otherwise, it is OTIS all the way.

However, I do not use their 'bore cleaner' that comes with the kit.  Mpro7 for Carbon removal, and Butch's Bore Shine for copper removal.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#2]
They work ok as a field kit when you need to keep it small. But the patches are sort of weird how they attach and you do not have a solid rod to clear bore obstructions or tap out stuck cases. I really like the idea of the coated cable to protect the bore and that the cleaning happens from the chamber to the bore.

Bob

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Otis in the field but a Dewey rod at home.  I like scrubbing the bore using copper solvent with a wire brush with the Dewey rod.

My chrome barrel can take it. [8D]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I use an Otis kit exclusively on all my guns but for home, I'd also suggest a Dewey Rod.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Otis for me here...the only thing I've used the Dewey on for about a year now is the new DPMS .308...and I only used that with a nylon brush and patch when I was using the Sweet's.  I use southern bloomer patches, not the otis ones...I take a round with a sharp bullet, like a Nosler BT, to use to punch holes in the pathces...it's much cheaper, and I can get really tight patches for everything that way.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got one OTIS kit for my AR's and AK's and another one for my FAL's. They work well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I would never use Otis to clean my stuff . Otis is a whiskey guzzling drunk with keys to the jail .
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would never use Otis to clean my stuff . Otis is a whiskey guzzling drunk with keys to the jail .
View Quote
Andy should have dusted his ass off long ago .
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

Yeah but a couple of episodes showed that he was still smarter than Barney.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

TOUCHE

Yeah but a couple of episodes showed that he was still smarter than Barney.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#11]
OTIS KITS seem to work well, in the field.

OTIS the Moonshiner, however, would not be near my guns...
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#12]
IMHO, the otis kit is good for its portability and on guns where you can't clean from the action w/ a rod setup (garand, M14, etc).  However, I find it much slower and more cumbersome to use than a rod - I use a coated rod on the ar-15's when at home.

Rocko
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 for the Otis cleaning system.  If you are going to get one, I would suggest the [url=http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/fcatalog.html&setup=1&cart_id=] Tactical Cleaning Kit[/url], 'cause you can use it for most any caliber.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#14]
The Tactical is what I was looking at.  Thanks for the input.

So for those of you who go with a rod system at home, have you pieced it together or is their a good kit out there somewhere?
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an OTIS Butt Stock Cleaning Kit in each of my ARs for the field and an OTIS Elite for everyday/after range cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Forgot to mention earlier that this was the funniest thing I've read in weeks.....Thanks dude!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love that show....

Dirk
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Otis is all I use on ALL my weapons, pistols, rifles, whatever, I bought my first Otis kit when I was 14, I have many other kits, but the Otis is all I use

great Kit
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I use an Otis kit on my M1 Garand and will use it on my ARs at the range (I use a Dewey rod at home), but ever since I had a patch come off and get stuck in my AR10(T)'s barrel I take a Dewey rod along with me to the range also.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Best place to get OTIS?  So far I know that Midway carries them, that's about it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Otis only.

I find it works well with the small amounts of solvents needed, especially on chrome lined bores. On other rifles if you feel a need to use massive amounts of corrosive copper solvents a rod and a bore guide is better.

Great thing about the rifle kit, is if you have a 9mm handgun too.

This kit comes with a .22 brush and a .35 brush. As well as the short chamber rod and the longer rifle rod.

Pulling is alot better than pushing. Alot easier on the barrel too.

Just make sure if you use your own patches, you don't go too big. If its tight in the chamber chances are it wont go down the barrel. You wont like it the first time you do this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#22]
James_Gang,

It's either "Funk 49" or Jessie. [8D]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I retired "most" of my other equipment after using Otis.  The patches take getting used to, but once you get the hang of it they are quite good.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Hello,

I use an Otis kit for my AR and I love it...

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I use a GI cleaning kit, just like my DI's taught me...
I'm kinda hardheaded that way..(or brainwashed....)
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#26]
OTIS only....Cleans em as good as any I've used.  Now it's all I use.  Especially easy for  a chromed bbl.  An old GI rod is always good to have around for the occasional stuck case, etc. but the OTIS cable is great.  You don't need to buy their patches either.  Make your own or buy some cheapo's from your guns store.  I sometimes buy the Knights black powder cleaning patches.  They do great and are cut round and about the same size.  I also use old clean Tshirts.  Just cut to size.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Otis kits are great, and I get mine from Brownell's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:59:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I've got an old kit and kaboodle cleaning kit thru Bushmaster years ago. Seems I heard somewhere that this was made by otis as in the same thing as thier current cleaning kits. Is my info correct/ Anybody know?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#29]
BORESNAKES RULE!!! Two for each caliber---one to run through when really dirty (5 times) then a second one to finish it off (5 more times).
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:11:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Ok, just received my OTIS cleaning kit the other night.  Took it out and cleaned the AR with it last night.
So...what is the DEAL with those patches???  6 passes per patch?  What am I missing?  How exactly are you to get 6 passes out of one patch?  Also, why do my patches look all jumbled when their pictures look like pretty little cones?  I just figure I've got to be doing something wrong.  Twice I had to pull a patch either out of the chamber or out of the very end of the barrel because it had pulled through the tip.
I went through over half of the patches they gave me with the kit last night.  That's not a problem according to some of you as I can make patches from normal ones.  Any specific directions on how to do that?  I have patches for my .40 pistol I should be able to use. What's the best way to get a really tight patch for the AR15?
I got the tactical kit and my only reall gripe (other than I don't seem to be using it correctly) is that it does not come with the chamber brush that the ar-15 kit comes with.  Figure I will probably just get a Dewey rod and chamber brush as I want the rod as well, but still didn't quite understand why it didn't come with one.
So, any thoughts on making me a better Otis user? [;)]
This is definately one of those times when I wish I knew more gun people who I could get face to face with.  Probably much easier to show than to tell.
Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#31]
After hearing all the hype I had to buy one...
I must say I was very pleased with its performance. I realy like it for my FAL and  AR. I'm converted.

I have not quite figured how to get 6 passes out of the patch.
JRUSSEL... if your losing the patch in the barrel our doing something wrong. these patches stay attatched  and have to be removed manually
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#32]
It is hard to explain without showing you in person, but I will try...

First:  for the 6 'cones', you have 3 points to hook through, and two sides of the patch.

For a "loose/semi-snug" patch for 5.56:

Put eye through hole on outside edge.  
Go about 1/4" to left or right of hole, (about half the length of the slot in the patch holder).  
Fold that part into a hard crimp.
Turn that crimped corner back into the slot of the patch holder.
Grab corner from other side of patch holder, pull it through about 1/4" (if you don't pull it through far enough, it will fall loose).
Fold rest of patch back around the loop you just made.

For a "Very Tight" Patch:
Same as above, but from about 3/8" around the edge of the patch before making the fold, then loop back and pull through slot about 1/4", then fold rest of patch back over loop.  (Very hard to pull through, but very good at getting stuff out).

I don't typically use the 'rod handle'.  I just grab the cable and wrap it around my hand.  I can get much more 'pull' that way.  I've bent too many rod handles to try a "Tight Patch" with it.

I typically have 4 patches in a cleaning:  1 soaked in Mpro, 1 soaked in Copper Solvent, a semi-dry one, and a final wipe one (oiled at end).  I alternate the first three, using the different holes.   When that is done, I use other side of patch.

Let me know if this makes ANY sense whatsoever...
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Brass,

Makes sense, and pretty much what I was doing.  Maybe I'm just not pinching hard enough together.  I agree with the handle thing, I did that twice, after that I wrapped it around my hand and pulled.
I'm hoping someone at the FDCC shoot (in lake city, fl this weekend) is good with this system.  If I can find anyone I can probably get them to show me if I'm doing something wrong.  I'll be cleaning again before I go as I'm going to try to get out the range once more before the shoot on Sunday.

Anyone have any tips on the best way to make your own?  Especially with using square vs. round patches?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#34]
After you pinch the patch(between thumb and index finger)pull it fairly tight back through the "eye of the needle". then pull up lightly on the rest of the patch around the "eye" to form the cone.  This will ensure the patch stays put.

One other important note:  Make sure when you fold/pinch the patch make sure you are folding it 'down and together' and not folding it 'up'.  If you are folding it up and then through the eyelet it will come off for sure.

fold/pinch it downward so the open end of the pinch is facing the floor.  Next pull the pinch slightly outward and back up and through the "eye of the needle"  Once you thread the needle pull tight and "cone" the remaining area of the patch.

UGHHH!  I hope this makes sense.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Horik,

Exactly what I was doing wrong!  I was pinching upwards instead of downwards.  At least I'm hoping that is what made for less than great fit! [bounce]
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that out.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top