Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2003 8:59:46 AM EDT
We are all worried to death about the ban and what it will do to our beloved hobby.

Scenario #1:

Ban goes away we all live happily until the Dems get back in the seat (it will happen its just life)

What to do: Buy as many post ban Ar's as you can afford NOW. In the event the ban goes away the market will adjust and more then likely the demand for lowers will go up....YOu have then secured yourself Cheap Lowers that you can sell for profit or build the mighty Ar in combat config.
Then sell your prebans for what ever you can get.....Why? In this scenario your gonna loose money big.. Unless you have a provananced papered Colt or rare colt that is complete box to papers.

#2: The ban expires for a new tougher ban that grand fathers every AR in to any preban config......

What to do: Sell your current prebans for as much money as possible buy post bans and as many as you can possible buy.. WHy cause there price will jump high as hell and you may make a retirement for your self......

#3: The ban stays as is.    Sell your preban now in order to protect your self from the great gamble of loosing your shirt..... turn around buy them back or buy others at a marginal loss....Doubtfull the prices of prebans will skyrocket much further any ways. I think we have seen the most we will ever see for prebans... for god sakes its just a flash hider and folding stock..big deal.

Well the burritos were great.......

I am going on the ban leaving. or a much harsher ban coming in. I doubt the houses will let it just stay because it can be very well argues that the current ban is a waste of time.

I also would buy as many post ban lowers as one can afford.....Even if there is a continuance of the current law doubful you will loose any money if you resell.....to many people out there that are picking up Ar lowers to build exactly what they want......

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#1]
If the ban went away, why not get other things as well?

Like Mini-14s and get some decent side folders...

Get a few Eagle AR10 lowers for building into wicked little carbines in the SR25K configuration....

FAL receivers as well as others.

Seems there's a lot more than just AR15 goodness that could keep a person busy, besides most of us already have 3-4 ARs that are likely to go through conversions if the ban goes bye bye.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#2]
You might do better buying preban configured uppers.  If the ban goes away, an awful lot of people are going to want to convert thier uppers to preban config at the same time.  The companies might not be able to keep up and you could make a few bucks selling into the frenzy.  If the ban gets worse, who knows, maybe they'll restrict the manufacture of those "evil" features and you'd still be sitting pretty.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Beowulf,

Interesting thought on restriction of preban uppers.  That would be a good tactical move on their part, and probably be written so as most Americans really wouldn't care.

I think in order to do that, it would be a VERY wide and far reaching ban, and I don't think they have enough clout for that right now.  However, we really don't know what they have up their sleeve.  

I find it very hard to believe that they are willing to let it die quietly, it isn't the liberal way.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, the more I read the more I'm beginning to think the ban will die.  The dems got their respective clocks cleaned in the last few elections and even they agree the gun control issue hurt them.  Despite what a lot of people say here on the boards about the preban featuers not being that big a deal, I think you are going to see people converting their post ban stuff in droves the day after it dies.  Salting away a barrel or two now might pay dividends later on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I also think your gonna find droves of people that dont do a thing to there supposed preban because it was a post ban with preban features.....But NO nobody does that!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I also think your gonna find droves of people that dont do a thing to there supposed preban because it was a post ban with preban features.....But NO nobody does that!
View Quote

Yup, but it would be illegal, and would be a good reason not to discuss it.  I have to agree that a lot of people will be getting muzzles threaded.  I also forsee a lot of discount prices on "target" barrels.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I want a suppressed AR, pre-ban is the only way to go then, so its not just a flash hider and telescoping stock.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I will throw out some thoughts of my own on how this will turn out:

Best Case:  The ban expires and is not renewed.  GWB wins re-election, Republicans maintain control of Congress.  We have 4 years of happy times before having to worry about anything.

Most Realistic Case #1:  The ban expires and is not renewed as of election time.  If GWB loses or control of Congress is lost, we may have at most a few months of happy times before new legislation is introduced.

Most Realistic Case #2:  GWB is bogged down in a serious election fight, with the economy still in the dump and the US still mired in Iraq/Liberia/wherever else we go.  He cuts us loose as an appeasement measure to the Dems.  We end up with a permanent ban just like now, either by passing replacement legislation or tacking an amendment to remove the sunset clause on some 'must-pass' legislation such as a Medicare prescription benefit.

Worst Case Scenario:  We lose the presidency and Congress to the Dems.  We end up with a permanent ban, NFA registration of current weapons as destructive devices, possibly even a ban on civilian purchase of new lower receivers similar to current machinegun regs.

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I see the following possibilities:

1) The ban expires - Pre-ban owners lose money, but the ability to buy full-cap magazines at decent prices, and add evil features lessens the pain.

2) The ban is renewed - Pre-ban owners have a solid investment, but it will not appreciate much more from where it is, as it has reached full elasticity. Full-cap magazine owners have a great investment, that will probably rise over time.

3) The new ban is worse - It groups pre-ban and post-ban into a new category of completely banned weapons. Full-cap magazines are done, none to be made, none to be imported. No clones, nothing. The AR-15 is no longer made PERIOD. Pre-ban & post-ban owners have a great investment.

I think it is going to be 1 or 3, not 2. One side is going to have the votes to do what they want.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Be prepared to register NFA...that could happen in a heartbeat with a new president and the stroke of a pen.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Renegade said nothing about the Burritos! They are tasty and the Eye candy was pleasing!!

Freebirds Dallas
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#12]
What kind of burrito's?
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I will throw out some thoughts of my own on how this will turn out:

Best Case:  The ban expires and is not renewed.  GWB wins re-election, Republicans maintain control of Congress.  We have 4 years of happy times before having to worry about anything.
View Quote

Ummmmm....bush and ashcroft BOTH have stated that they are IN FAVOR of the assult weapon ban and further restrictions...now if you excuse me, i have a knife to pull out of my back.

I just made a post out of this: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=168052
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Ummmmm....bush and ashcroft BOTH have stated that they are IN FAVOR of the assult weapon ban and further restrictions...now if you excuse me, i have a knife to pull out of my back.
View Quote

I havent heard any statements about further restrictions, but agree otherwise.  This does not matter if no legislation lands on his desk, and that depends upon Congress.  I also don't recall hearing GWB requesting action from Congress on the issue, so I will cautiously believe he is simply avoiding debate by making that statement.  I may get bit in the ass before its over.

Look at it this way, we could be dealing with President Gore, and Feinstein as Senate majority leader....

[b]We do have a chance.  Make it count.[/b]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Renegade said nothing about the Burritos! They are tasty and the Eye candy was pleasing!!

Freebirds Dallas
View Quote

Hey, If that line gets any longer, I will have to find another place to eat. Rather pay 2x for a AR-15, then have to wait in that line!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Neither one is on record in favor of further restrictions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Neither one is on record in favor of further restrictions.
View Quote

I could have sworn that i read about that too...oh well, i guess i'm wrong about further restrictions, but they're still in favor of the AWB...
But hell, anything is better than The bitchness herself (a.k.a. hillary  ewwwww)
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#18]
We are all worried to death about the ban and what it will do to our beloved hobby.
View Quote

Hobby, it is a lot more than a hobby to me personally. I would hope that it was more than a hobby to most of us.

Bush might not be in favor of more restrictions but Bush actually stated several times during the elections that he was in favor of the AWB. No one was listening due to the fact that he was running against Gore but he didn't sell us out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:22:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I think (hope) GWB is just playing it safe.

I believe he’s figuring a new ban won’t ever reach his desk (get out of the house).

He probably figures by making the statement that he supports the ban he’ll get more votes from the left than he’ll loose from the right.

If the ban does go away I think there will indeed be a lot of gunsmiths threading a lot of barrels. I know right where mine are going…

If they do classify “assault weapons” under the NFA there will probably be an amnesty, but does this mean that they can all have any barrel length? Also can I re-register my SBR’s as AW’s and all those $200 checks back?

I hope it just all goes away…

Sweet dreams, J    
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:35:00 AM EDT
[#20]
quick question, If you have post bans and they are configured legally, and you have a few pre-ban uppers socked away in a closet, wouldn't that technically be illegal if you didi not own a preban?  Since it is readily converted?  
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:46:32 AM EDT
[#21]
800mtrs - yes, it would.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top