Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2003 8:25:21 AM EDT
I'm about to order an AR from RRA either on-line or by phone, and I was wondering what the procedure is. I keep hearing about FFL's, do I have to buy one somewhere before I order, do I have to order my gun through a gun shop, is this a major hassle, etc.? Could someone run me through the process? I'm almost done with my newbie questions, thanks in advance for any help.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The whole FFL thing is a hassle.  FFL = Federal Firearms License.  Before ordering guns online or by phone, the seller will need to have a copy of an FFL's license, signed in blue ink, on file.  The rifle then goes to the FFL-holder, and you get it from him/her.  

There's a couple ways to find an FFL.  Check out your state's forum in the Hometown board, and maybe put up a post asking if anyone knows of an FFL in your area.  If so, get in touch with that person and find out if they're willing to do a transfer for you.  Usually, they'll charge a $15-25 fee for the service.  If you can't find one that way, go to your local gun shop and ask if they're willing to do a transfer for you.  Many gun shops are reluctant to do this, since they're rather you bought the gun from them instead of just doing the paperwork for you.

Either way, when you order the gun, you or your FFL will need to send the ink-signed copy of their license to the seller.  The seller ships to the FFL, who does the background check and stuff on you, and has you fill out the 4473 form.  Then the gun is yours.

As an example, the FFL that I use is a buddy of mine.  When I found a gun that I wanted, I would order it online or call the place up and order it over the phone.  Then I'd go see my buddy and get a xerox copy of his license, which he would sign in blue ink.  I'd send that off to the seller along with payment for the gun, and they'd send him the gun.  Then I'd go see him after he received the gun, fill out the paperwork, give him $25, and [i]viola[/i], new gun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#2]
BTW, this method of buying guns is getting strained, a lot of gun dealers (read gun shops) who used to do transfers, now are less and less willing. I even found that many who would do a transfer would NOT do a lower only. This is due to econmics of guns sales, there is about a 35% profit margin on a typical gun sale. On a $500 gun that would be a gross profit of $175 vice the transfer fee of say $25.

Of couse, my favorite saying is:
"The greatest impediment to gun ownership is gun dealers"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top