Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2003 12:34:14 AM EDT
I noticed that my buttplate on my A1 stock has three cracks. Two small ones only noticeable on the inside and on large one that can be seen externally. At first i though it was just a scratch, but got curious and took it off to see.

Whoever had this Colt abused the hell out of it it seems. I am ordering from Special Armament Warehouse-Colt parts. I dont really understand why the A1 buttplate costs more at $12.50 and only $7.50 for the A2. The A1 slip ring is cheaper then the A2 delta ring so it might not be because it older.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#1]
The A2 buttplate will fit some A1 stocks, especially the "newer" A1's that were solid plastic, not the rubber coated really old ones.
As far as cost, if the A1's are that much cheaper they may be recycled old/new parts.
However, real A2's should be molded from a stronger more expensive Du Pont Super Tough Nylon, and that could accout for a higher price.  At least if you get a real one, it should be the last one you should ever have to buy.
Cracking of the A1 buttplate was a real big problem in the 70's.  That is why upgrading it was on our "to do" list for the A2 program.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#2]
My oldest daughter shoots my old SP-1, and she used to complain about the buttplate sliding off the shoulder of her SAS smock.  I changed the A1 piece over to an A2, and it fit perfectly.  The stippling on the buttplate provides a non-slip surface that is much nicer than the old A1 plate.  

Oh yeah, I also added A2 front handguards and an A2 front sight post on it, as well.  Not original, but very nice......
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually its the A2 Buttplate that is cheaper. When you mean solid plastic, do you mean the original M16 buttplate with no trapdoor? Mine has the trapdoor like on the A2.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the reason i want the A2 buttplate.-slippage.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes it fits
GG
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone. I'll put one on the order.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top