Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2003 12:38:42 PM EDT
"Good evening everyone."

"My Name is Mike Linded and I'm an AR addict."

I come to these groups to tell my story in hopes it will help others.  You don't have to agree and you don't have to listen, but you do have to come to face your own addiction.
It all started harmlessly enough.  A conversation with my wife about being able to fire a handgun if we needed to.  What types of training did we need.  What identifications were required.  Where we could practice.
"Maybe I should go down to the shooting range and try a few models.  What do you say hun?"
"Go ahead.  What could it hurt?"
Months later, my first pistol purchase startled her.  "Well its cheaper than renting a handgun at the range!" I said.  Only six months and three thousand rounds later I needed a more serious fix.  I had always convinced myself never to walk over to the long gun section at "that" store but I had a free pass this time.  My brother-in-law had 40 acres and it was time to go hunting.  Yep.  Gotta be prepared.  Hmmm.  I need something aggressive.  I don't want to purchase an expensive grandfather's rifle.  Nope, I need something technical.  I need something that can handle.... "Hey.  What's that black thing?  Does it come in other calibers? Hmmmm.  It comes with the Red Dot and bipod?  I could never afford..  What's that?  Yeah, that is a good price.  (pause)  Wrap it up man.  I'll see you in a couple of days."

Here is where the lying started.  I had to come up with elaborate stories to keep my shooting addiction up.
"Honey, did you get the brakes fixed on the Nissan?" she said.
"Uh, yeah." I shouted back.  CLP can do wonders for squeaky brakes when Vector Arms had a special on cases of ammo.
"Did you go to the range today?" "Did you go to the range today?" "Did you go to the range again today?" she kept asking.
"No." The lies kept coming.  The addiction seemed to have no need to stop escalating. I knew deep down that the end was near.  After months of Brownell's bills, Stacks of Shotgun News and tools of every kind laying about the place; I received the best accessory for my AR.  A family intervention.  My mom, dad, sister and brother sat me down in the center of the family room and started to cry.  My father looked at me with a disappointed look.  "Mike.  Look at yourself.  Your loading thumb is purple.  The bruises on your shoulder show obvious signs of heavy AR use.  Its time you took some 'steps' to help yourself.  You can shake this disease Mike.  I know you can."

Ever since that day I have turned around and never looked back.  Its been 327 days without an AR.  I take it one day at a time.  I have too.

"Thanks for coming everyone.  Keep up the good work and remember to call your AR-A member if you ever have an urge.  One AR will wreck all the work you've done.  Just one."
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Only quitters quit!  

[sniper]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Step 1:  I am powerless over ARs, and my life has become unmanageable.  [:D]  No last names please...we have to insure anonymity lol.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I tried these AR15 support groups before but after talking with everyone I end up buying more stuff for the AR.  My last group turned into a gun club. [;D]  Well maybe it will work out next time.

-William
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Did I read this correctly?  your shoulder bruised?   wtf????   I only get bruises from my .300 WSM(Browning A-Bolt Medallion)aka a grandpa's gun.  try putting 20 thru that and walk away with a smile on your face  [8D]
Rule #1: always have a back up plan and or a back up rifle. I have a few AR's to chose from, my wife seen 3 of them out in the open one day and I looked at her and deep inside I went "OH SHIT [:O] my ass is grass now"
Rule #2: keep all tools and likewide toys of the trade in the garage, preferably in a locked cabinet or tool box.  hmmmm   tool boxes  there is another support group in the waiting....how many of you guys have a loaded down "Snap-On" tool box?    black rifle disease is nothing compared to that!!!!
Rule #3: keep ammo and magazines out of the laundry room, I keep my ammo under the basement stairs.out of sight - out of mind!!!
thats all for now  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea I got that snap-on disease too.
Between that and this damn AR addiction I have no money left for my crack, or even cigaretts.

I think I need help....
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to tell the Snap-on guy to stop coming by the house after I got him paid off...........damn I miss them calanders
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
It has been a bad couple weeks. Got my Colt 6520 blue label, a Trijicon TA55 and am impatiently waiting for my Colt 6720 lightweight 1/9 upper. I hate spending money I don't have. Thank God for credit cards.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
It has been a bad couple weeks. Got my Colt 6520 blue label, a Trijicon TA55 and am impatiently waiting for my Colt 6720 lightweight 1/9 upper. I hate spending money I don't have. Thank God for credit cards.
View Quote

We're here for you 4weelin.  You can count on us.  The first step to curing your addiction is to admit it first.  When you need a friend, just call the hot line.

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I broke the habit!

I bought a single action pistol made by Ruger.  I went to the range wanting to put some rounds through the AR and to try out the new pistol.

I shot the pistol and loved it!  I forgot about the AR.  First time to ever happen.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I often tried to involve my girlfriend (now my wife of 9 years) in my addiction to arms. I never thought she was listening. I tried to tell her how they operated, how it felt to have a good day at the range, etc.......

I made the big mistake when she happened upon me admiring my RRA 20" heavy barrel all tricked out. She said "did you buy another [explicative] gun"

I said....." well' no honey, thats that old 20 guage shotgun that PaPa left me when he passed"

She said...." you have got to be kidding me....did you think I wasn't listening (at this point I thought I was going to be killed with my own gun), that's a rifle, not a shotgun you dumbass....."

It hasen't been the same since...
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I admit I have a problem.  My problem is that I found this damn site and since have spent so much money on new guns, mags, ammo, etc that it's ridiculous.  

My life would be alot better financially if I had never discovered this site.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]
....." well' no honey, thats that old 20 guage shotgun that PaPa left me when he passed"
View Quote

ROTFLMAO! [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I know dammit....Here I had just told Ladyloathing "baby, I'm tell'in you, I'm not buying any gun stuff this check, honest baby"...

And then along comes that Frick'in pimp Buck-Naked, like some sleazy street corner crack dealer, saying "Hey my brother, Come check this out man, Blackhawk vests $49.00, You know you want it man, can't live without dude"

I tryed to be strong, I tryed to live without it, really man. My hand were shaking when I typed in the credit card number to Galls like a whore in church.

Damn the pusher man!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:01:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I tryed to be strong, I tryed to live without it, really man. My hand were shaking when I typed in the credit card number to Galls like a whore in church.
View Quote

We're here for you Loathing37.  Let it all out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I only shoot my Ar a few times a year socially. I do shoot a lot of ammo on these occasions though. I do not think I have a problem. Do I?
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I only shoot my Ar a few times a year socially. I do shoot a lot of ammo on these occasions though. I do not think I have a problem. Do I?
View Quote

As nicely as I can put this; your in denial J3.  BINGE SHOOTING is the first sign.  This AR repression will only get worse.  You can make excuses and lie to yourself that you have control.  I've been there.  Only six months later I was on a psychiatric couch, talking about my mother.
Just ask yourself one question:  Why do I "think" I have a problem.

We're here for you J3.  Strength in numbers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Just got my first AR, RRA 20" A2.

I am building a CAR in a few months.
Then I want an AR-10.  but that should be the satisfaction point for me.  Yea....sure....just like I said I was pretty satisfied when I hit gun purchase number 10.  My AR just became my 25th firearm [:)]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Hi my name is colt_5_5_6, and I am an addict it all started when I started working for the state prison 10 years ago. Prior to this point I had only used bolt action rifles and pump shot guns for hunting purposes. After being told I would have to learn how to use an AR15 or I would not be able continue my employment. Since I needed the job I complied with their request, what could it hurt right? Today Iam suposed to go and shoot clay piegons with friends. And I am trying to resist the urge to take an ar to shoot as well. I won't even go into the money problems and relationship troubles this terrible addiction has caused me. I once walked off a date with a girl when she told me I did not need any ar's well several years later I now have a wife who tries dearly to understand my addiction and help me cope. She has gone to the extent to buy me a reloading set up for our first anniversary after she relized the cost of ammunition. Hopefully in time I will be able to beat this addiction. I have been resisting the urge to buy another gun, while appeasing this terrible addiction with accesories one of my addicted friends helped turn me onto ar accesories. I have to go now and get ready to go shoot my ar oh I mean clay's at the range.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#19]
For weeks before I bought my Bushy M4, I agonized over whether I really wanted one.  Up to the day I drove out to pick it up from my dealer I was still hesitant, but my credit card flew out of my wallet on its own and that was the end.

I tried FALs.  I tried AKs.  Anything to break the spell of the AR.  No slam on the FAL or AK, they were EVERYTHING they were reputed to be, but...   I read all the slams on .223.  All the good thngs about .308 and more FAL and more AK.

No good.  I still want an A2, maybe I'll stop when I get an A1.  But then maybe I should have an RRA for comparison.  And of course I should have an Armalite.  And what about the satisfaction of making my own?  Is it true I can mix and match to my heart's content?  Why, that means an almost infinite number of combinations!  I gotta have chrome-moly, chrome lined, heavy barrel, lightweight....oh D%mm

What keeps me from going over the edge?  Either I truly love my wife, or I just hate it when she's havin a connipshun.  But there's the Eternal Tension.  Too bad Dostoyevsky never had an AR. Zoloft, anyone?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#20]
There is an easy solution to your addiction.  Get her addicted to the EBR and you will never have to lie.[}:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top