Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2003 3:15:58 AM EDT
Have any of you tried Brownells TEFLON molycote finish? It is a ready to spray paint can that needs oven baking. Is this a lot better than ALUMAHYDE, which is too thick that it almost "hides" the stampings on the lower.Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:10:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm wondering about the same product......can you use the oven at home, do I need to wait for the wife to go out of town....the smell? vapors? what to bake on.....thanks...
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used it on a couple of home AK47 builds.  It seems thick also, but very durable.

I used the kitchen oven for the first one, but reconsidered because the fumes were so bad... don't want my kids to grow teeth out their foreheads from contaminated food.  So, I bought a used little toaster oven for $10 to do it outside.

Generally, I would only use paint for a cheesy project like AKs or some POS shooter.  For my real builds I do home blueing, anodizing, or parkerizing.  Its more work but the finish ends up professional.

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I just refinished my pistol with the OD yesterday, as a matter of fact. Here's a link to the thread I just posted.

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=5596[/url]

To answer an above question: It beats the absolute shit out of Alumahyde II.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I use it all the time. Follow the directions and it works awesome. Order extra spray nozels.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#5]
The teflon/moly finish can be a bit difficult on some finishes.   For best results it is wise to have something with a rougher finish, bead blasted steel or cast steel usually is okay.

But I had a problem getting it to stick to anodized aluminum like that of uppers/lowers or magazine bodies.

Alumahyde II really was better if doing aluminum parts or parts that were a bit more smooth in surface finish.     The teflon/moly is a tad bit thinner finish than Alumahyde II but surface prep is a bit more critial.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used it with great success on anodized aluminum. You absolutely need a sand blaster.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top