Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2003 11:36:11 AM EDT
I want to attach the sling to the front sight base, so that the sling comes off the side instead of the bottom.  I've seen/read a couple of methods:
  • Put on a hardware thingy that mounts inside the front sight base and has the sling loop on the side (like the GG&G "sling thing.")
  • Tie some para cord around the inclined part of the base, and loop the sling on that.
  • ?? WHAT ???
I don't really like the sling thingy.  I think it looks clunky, and I like simple.

Can someone describe a good way to do this?  Do you have any pics of a setup that works?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, no flame intended but the sling thing and KAC's similar product are about as simple as they get and still have a rock solid METAL mount, one that uses a quick detach swivel I might add.  Parachute cord is not as strong as metal methinks, and doesn't quick detach/attach.  These mounts are just two slim small plates, two screws, and a hole (the swivel stays with the sling)- pretty simple I think.

Still, if you want to go that route (which is cheaper at least), why not just loop the end of your sling around a leg of the sight tower, or just use the paracord trick, or how about a carribeaner giving you QD capability, and wrap it with tape or something to keep it quiet and from scratching your rifle?
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...sling thing and KAC's similar product are about as simple as they get and still have a rock solid METAL mount,...
View Quote

I 2nd GG&G, just picked up a SLiC Mount. Side sling swivel on one side, rail on the other. Rock solid, great quality.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I removed the front swivel under the base and put through a 10"piece of para cordloop around the handgaurd cap put a knot then loop again and tie and burn so it looks like a figure 8 threaded through the swivel holes then attach a GI sling you can carry in ready posistion cheap I loop the telestock the same wayif I want to carry in a 1 point sling posistion Ill atach the rear loop of the stock onto the carabiner on my web gear suspenders,Htype,real simple and cheap,sling thing $30 paracord$2.50
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are two other options.

#1 - Get a Sling Systems Sling and it comes with paracord front and rear sling attatchments for both M4 and A2/A1 stocks. Here is a pic of the front and rear attatchments.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054117.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054119.jpg[/img]

#2 - Get a Surefire 659 and the Z36 side sling mount. Remove the standard lower sling swivel and attatch using the Z36. You now have a side sling swivel and a surefire light on your rifle.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054120.jpg[/img]
NOTE - This light is on my department gun. That is why the lower sling swivel is not removed. With it removed and standard carbine handguards, not M4, the light sits about an inch further back.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top