Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2003 7:54:00 AM EDT
Ok here I am with one of my buds goin to our favorite shooting lease 9:30 PM dark as hell Car light on until we get loaded and mark our down range and set rules.. then FIRE.

A1 A2 Flash hiders dont hide crap Q3131A ammoe through 7.5 barrel 11.5 barrel 14.5 barrel 20 inch barrel..Nothing.

The all shoot flame and are bright.......

So actually these are flash suppressors?

I thought then I removed my FH only to see the same damn flash signature...........

What did work? Hell the post ban SPR NM Armalight upper with there comp had nearly 0 zero flash! Whats up with that?????

let alone the flash from the ejection ports

This FH shit is for the birds.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Flash hiders, etc... are only effective at longer ranges, and they only reduce flash not prevent it.

That's why you act like a firefly dude.

The idea is to shoot and move, fast.

Sittin' in one spot and firing alot of unaimed and inaccurate rounds downrange has a tendancy to draw alot o' fire. Nothing like picking mortar or RPG fragments out of your ass.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#2]
[BS]
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Flash suppressor, not flash eliminator.

As powder burns, it creates a light. No way around it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Phantom on an 11.5 does a pretty darn good job.

Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I thinks that is what I will do next is try some other brands....

Do our boys use other brands in the military?
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, and BTW...flash hiders don't hide the flash from the people in front of the muzzle, although they may reduce it slightly. They are designed to reduce the flash as seen by the shooter so that the flash doesn't destroy his night vision. They don't work all that well on short barrels for obvious reasons, but they work fine on 16 & 20", at least from the shooter's perspective.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps ya should get yourself a Smith Enterprises "[b]Vortex[/b]" FS, believe you'll get consistently better results from one of them.

Added link: [url]http://www.smithenterprise.com/vortex.html[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Phantom on an 11.5 does a pretty darn good job.

View Quote

Yes the Phantom does a damn good job!! It was worth the money.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thinks that is what I will do next is try some other brands....

Do our boys use other brands in the military?
View Quote

The A2 birdcage is standard issue but that doesn't mean there aren't a few others being used by our troops.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#10]
buy a vortex!
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Why dont most people get that the [b]primary[/b] job of the flash [b]suppressor[/b] is to limit the ammount of night vision lost by the operator when firing in dim light?

You want no flash showing down range, buy a can.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
buy a vortex!
View Quote

What he said!  The vortex will virtually eliminate the flash.  It is the best F/H I have seen, it truly is amazing.  It makes the A1/A2 look like a fake accessory, just a joke, in comparison.

However, Lumpy's right, a suppressor is the ultimate F/H!
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#13]
In the two carbine classes I have taken, the instructors had everyone individually fire their weapon so the rest of us could see the flash signature.
EVERY carbine that had something on the end of the muzzle had far less than a bare barrel. The bare barrels put out a huge fireball. The two Phantom I saw exhibited absolutely no flash at all. If there wasn't a report, I wouldn't have known he fired the weapon. One was on an 11 1/2" M16, the other was a 16" Bushmaster.
The standard Colt flash suppressor was not bad, but not nearly as good as the Phantom.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Anybody know how the vortex and phantom compare?
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anybody know how the vortex and phantom compare?
View Quote

The vortex suppresses flash a little better than the phantom, and both are better than the A1 or A2.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Absolutely going to buy the Vortex....thanks for the REC.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#17]
You do have the paper work for those SBR right?

7.5 barrel 11.5 barrel 14.5 barrel
View Quote

I thought then I removed my FH only to see the same damn flash signature...........
View Quote

Busted - I'm calling BS too!

[:D]

[bs]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Anything probably works better than no FH at all- my M4 has a "naked" end on the barrel, and Q3131A gives off a 2 foot long fireball during the DAY. FWIW, it does impress everyone at the range when that happens [;)]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a 7.5" AOW with a "Fabio" compensator screwed on for looks.

For looks, cuz it dont do much other than look cool.  I put it on to protect the threads untill I get the Feds off their butt for the suppressor stamp.  Something about a war on terrorism distracting them from processign NFA paperwork.  blah blah blah.... ;)

Even with a Gemtech, my rig is still louder than I would like...but no flash.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a 7.5" AOW with a "Fabio" compensator screwed on for looks.
View Quote

Got any pics?
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#21]
What can I use to reduce the flash signature on my Bushmaster 25th Anniversary Edition rifle?  It has a huge flash signature with the plain barrel end.  Will the flash damage my nightvision sight?(Aries Mk II 7750-3rd gen.)  Any help will be appreciated.[8p]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#22]
52,  try federal ae in 55gr. 223rem.  May settle better after 20" 's of barrel time. at least until the ban is expired. Then apply one vortex type device of your choice and go back to the nato type ammo if you want.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What can I use to reduce the flash signature on my Bushmaster 25th Anniversary Edition rifle?  It has a huge flash signature with the plain barrel end.  Will the flash damage my nightvision sight?(Aries Mk II 7750-3rd gen.)  Any help will be appreciated.[8p]
View Quote

Black Hills ammunition has had some of the lowest flash signature Ive seen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Since no else has given them a plug, I'd say get yourself a Vortex. [:D]

Mine virtually eliminates flash on my 14.5" M4. All that can be seen in the dead of night when bumping off 30 round mags is a dull orange glow between the tines.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Odd.  I was manning a [b]Night Livefire[/b] range at AT about two weeks ago ... with and without NODs there was hardly any noticible flash, and we were using M4s and SAWs.

In fact, I specifically remember thinking "Wow, those flash suppressors really do a good job.  I wonder what they look like from downrange?"

Of course, I never went downrange while it was hot in order to find out, though ...
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Paul with a RDIAS I can have any Damn Upper I choose so piss off!

Yes I do have can.. and obviously that works perfectly......However id does change the poi on every barrel I have SO I leave it to one upper only...

Why do people like Paul call "BS" to some things...Holy shit Hard to beleive there are asshole abound with weapons......Paul has a hard time beleiving I have several uppers to choose from ....Geez get a life Paul.

I call BS to Paul being a decent human being.

Paul.......STFU!
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I've never done this before, but this seems to be as good a time as any to get my first one in:

[BS2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Tate: Kiss my ass......Prove me wrong your in Texas, SO come on By and let me educate you. I would be more than Happy to do so.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Ahhhh...

Yet another interesting topic ruined by name calling...

Any way, I understood that flash hidsers were supposed to keep the muzzle flash out of you sight picture, not to make it invisible.

To get rid of the flash totally, you'd need somthing like the intergral suppressor/flash extinguisher on the MP-5SD
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Notso: YOu are correct about name calling.....I personally connot understand why somebody would call BS to a post without knowing the individual.......

Ther are about 6 individuals who are complete tyrants who love to act like jerks....post negative comments about people or posts.....The must have been beaten as small children and husbands.

As for flash hiders  yup you bet SUpressors obviously are the best thing.. I will be trying the vortex next to see what type of flash signature they produce...I was just shocked at the amount of flash that can be seen behind and from the side of the weapon during firing.....I know it would be extremely enhanced if you were wearing night vision and viewing from the other side...Not good in Combat. I see now why the xm177 had a special supressor/FH to try and hide those signatures....
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why do people like Paul call "BS" to some things...Holy shit Hard to beleive there are asshole abound with weapons......Paul has a hard time beleiving I have several uppers to choose from ....Geez get a life Paul.
View Quote

It is a Freudian thing, like penis envy. The idea that you might be one of the folks that actually owns NFA weapons, and he does not, irritates the hell out of him, to the point he has to make you "whip it out" and prove you really are the man you say you are. Then there are the folks like Tate, who just call BS to follow the crowd. Instead of drivel, why do they not just go dump some rounds at night and post their real-life experiences instead? Guess it is easier to sit at your computer and be an armchair expert instead.

I too have the same observance with FHs. It seems to me barrel length has the most to do with it, not the FH.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#32]
ammo selection, suppressor type, and barrel length ALL determine flash.

I had just the opposite occur during a night shoot.  We all had FS except for one guy, everyone had 16" except for a couple of 20" M16s with no flash at all. The instructor had the guy with no FS shoot while we all observed, no flash.  In that case it was obviously the ammo he was using (no i don't remember what it was).
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#33]
very true I am certain has a lot to do with it. I my case I had q3131a, Wolf and Winchester 223r1 something or another.....

The wolf seemed to make big yellow fire balls.

Dont know why.......Funny also a buddy of mine was shooting a GLock 17 with wolf 9mm ammo and he had serious flash signature.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#34]
so which of these that reduce muzzle flash will still allow the use of a bayo. on a pre-ban????
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top