Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2003 2:08:35 PM EDT
howdy, im new here, just bought what i thought was a .223 bushmaster, but i noticed the barrel was way too wide to be .223, so after come calls, the guy suddenly remembers it has a 7.62x39mm upper, anyway, i was wondering how good these things are, and how accurate they are, anyone has opinions on em? and could you identify the maker, the only marking i found on it was a weird "A" with a line thru it. and ".310" on barrel
thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The only bad thing about the 7.62x39 jobs is that it's hard to find reliable high capacity magazines for them. The "Frankenmags" that look like an AK type welded to a straight top have the reputation of being the most reliable. If you only load 4 or 5 rounds, the standard 20 round AR15 mag will work ok, but you can't put any more than that in them and get them to feed properly.

On the plus side, you can create a two caliber piece by just getting a barrelled upper in .223, and a .223 bolt head.  The bolt carrier, and everything else in the piece is the same for both calibers.

Finally, if you just don't want the 7.62x39 upper assy, advertise it for sale on the equipment exchange section of this site, take the money you get by selling it, and get a .223 caliber barrelled upper and bolt head[:D]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah, it came with 1 30 round , what you call "franken mags" and a 5 round mag. so whats the maker? i just see an "A" with a line thru it on the carring handle. thanks!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The split A on the carry handle is the emblem of the forge that turned out the raw blank, Anchor Harvey. It tells you nothing about who took that forging and finished it into an upper, because nearly all the aftermarket makers have used Anchor Harvey forgings at one time or another. I'm assuming that the lower is Bushmaster, since that's what you thought you were buying.

I not sure if Bushie has made any 7.62 uppers or not. I do know that they have used the AH uppers though. The most visible suppliers of the 7.62 barrels in recent years have been DPMS and Olympic, and my first thought would be that the upper came from one of them. They both have also used the Anchor Harvey uppers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top