Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2003 9:18:39 PM EDT
When reading manuals about cleaning barrels, they only mentioned "to use" CLP, both for cleaning and lubricating? Does this applies only to chrome lined barrels? What if my barrel is not chrome lined, can I use HOPPES for scrubbing and wet patching the barrel and CLP for the final lubricant? Can I also use TETRA bore cleaner and conditioner for chrome or non chrome lined barrels?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use Hoppes on either barrel.  You can use Tetra on either barrel.  The Tetra will probably work much better on removing copper fouling, but the Hoppes works fine for most cleaning.

Tetra makes a good product.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#2]
The way I do it is such:

I use CLP for general cleaning like inside the receiver, cleinaing the BC, and wiping down.  I use Hoppes solvent for the barrel, It is a poweder solvent so I use it as such, I also soak my Bolt in it to dissolve the carbon baked on.  Then I use Hoppes copper solvent to clean the rifling after extended use.  Then I use Militec-1 as a lube.  I do not trust CLP as a L (lube)  It is a good general purpose cleaner but does not do all perfect by any means, but I still buy it and use it as a general cleaner.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I use good old Hoppes No. 9 for swabbing down everything, and then use CLP (usually the stuff w/o the solvent in it) for lubrication, although I have used Hoppes oil on occasion and it seems to work just fine too.  

IMHO, CLP w/solvent is trying to do too many things at once- it was intended so the personnel in the field would not need two or three different bottles of stuff to clean their weapons.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
CLP can get gummy if mixed with other products.  If you use CLP, use nothing but CLP for cleaning, lubricating, and protecting.  If you want to use Hoppes #9 (which I still think is a fine bore cleaner, despite the raves over Shooter's Choice, and I like the smell, too) fine.  Just clean it all out well after with a good degreaser, such as Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber.  Then lubricate and wipedown with Breakfree.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the Pro-Shot solvent, and either the Miltec or Pro-tec oil/grease.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Mass cleaning and MG's, I soak in Ed's Red and parts cleaner, ultrasonic for suppressors. (edited to clarify not with aluminum suppressors and only with mild solutions, no solvents!)

I like Butch's Bore Shine and JB Paste for bores. Hoppe's #9 (older formula) for general cleaning only because I have gallons and gallons of the stuff, but it's not the my first choice.

When I only have one bottle/traveling light: CLP, winter temperatures I lube with: Rem Oil,
-40degF or colder, nothing, or a hint of Hoppe's #9 (as a lube). M11 with .22 conversion kit, or other really quick dirty guns: Dri-lube.  1919A4: motor oil.

Whew!  You should see my cabinet, I have let overs from trying near a hundred different cleaning products...

Edited to add:  Final/general lubricant Miltec, which I also use on suppressor QD mounts.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I use CLP almost exclusively on every gun I own. After excessive use, I blow the CLP out of the bore with GunScrubber and hit it with some Hoppes Copper Solvent... blow that out of the bore with GunScrubber... and reapply the CLP.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I use the theory that a dry gun is a clean gun--
Genrally i use hoppes to clean everything then dry with compressed air. The only lube i use is Bore-tech teflon dry lube. I've never had a problem in any of my firearms with it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I was told by a very experienced armorer that any bore cleaner that has a high ammonia content e.g. Hoppes #9 will do harm to SS barrels as there is always copper impurities in SS and the ammonia solvent will attack those impurities and creat a rougher surface in the barrel.
My choice will be CLP only in a SS barrel.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use CLP almost exclusively on every gun I own. After excessive use, I blow the CLP out of the bore with GunScrubber and hit it with some Hoppes Copper Solvent... blow that out of the bore with GunScrubber... and reapply the CLP.
View Quote

I agree. You can look at a part and tell if it's cleaned or not. I personally think people are brainwashed into putting too much emphasis on minute details. After all, this is the the same gun that thousands of troops fought with in jungles, fighting in mud, and now we are bickering about which two solvents will work together best. Are we looking for things to talk about? Our AR's are reliable, and common sense will keep it that way. My gun has never malfunctioned and probably never will.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top