Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2003 9:29:41 AM EDT
And of course, signed up on this site.  Been surfing for a couple of days, reading through topics...and please, forgive me on what can probably be considered ignorant questions over the next few months...at least till I get somewhat up to speed...Laugh.

So she's a pretty XM-15, a2...nothing special with a NcStar 4x illuminated scope.  I haven't even gotten a chance to take her to the range.
Her previous owner only had her for 3 months, and fired maybe 20 rounds downrange.  

This beauty even put me in the mind to go ahead and buy a gunsafe yesterday.  

So I've ordered some 223 ammo and some Orlite clips I found for cheap...and can't wait to see how she shoots.

Now I'll be posting up a couple of questions I haven't been able to find the answer to on this site, or others...

But for now, I'll let you know I'm familiar with pistols and shotguns, but this is my first rifle.  I wanted one that I could modify and that there would be support, and spare parts for, everywhere...

So what should a rifle newbie be aware of with these weapons?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#1]
You mentioned wanting to modify your new baby.  What do you have in mind?

As far as newbie advise, keep her clean and feed her good ammo and she'll spit lead like a champ.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I'm trying to figure out what exactly is legal, and what's not...

I'ld like to make it more accurate...but not to an insane degree if you know what I mean...

My primary reason for owning this weapon is for target practice...and just incase SHTF...I'ld like to have something to protect myself with at a distance...

Eventually I'm planning on getting another that runs the 5.56 or maybe a 7.62 SKS or the like...

But for now this 223 for target will work...

So it's mainly accuracy mods....and slowly, new scope, and whatever else is involved...

Bipod is a definate...I really want to put one on this weapon...just trying to find the right one...

Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Get some [s]Orlite[/s] USGI [s]clips[/s] magazines. [;)]

Welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, if you want accuracy then you'll eventually want to have an A3 upper.  That way your scope mount will be as close to barrel center as possible.  Probably want to put in a 2-stage trigger group as well.

What are you thinking of that might raise a legal issue?

If you're looking for a bipod then take a gander at [url=www.impactguns.com/store/harris_bipods.html]Harris Bipods[/url].

Oh, and welcome to the board.  [:D]

E-95
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Rowdymon, your Bushmaster should eat 5.56 ammo.
If you have the M4, there is a designation mark towards the end of the barrel. I know my BM M4gery post ban w/mini y comp brake has this designation in that location. Get comfortable with the iron sights for a while before you worry about optics. USGI 20 & 30 rounders are legal in Texas and preferred overwhelmingly around here. Never enough mags. Get ready for consumption of treasury notes. You are done!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:51:26 AM EDT
[#6]
So what should a rifle newbie be aware of with these weapons?
View Quote

Stick with USGI magazines for reliability.  Orlites or Thermolds are OK for range use, but avoid all other aftermarket magazines.  The equipment exchange on this site is an excellent place to get USGI mags.  Read the AR15 Magazine FAQ found in the magazines forum.

Use good ammo and keep it clean and you shouldn't have any problems.  Welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I just purchased a Bushmaster A2 Shorty a little over a week ago, spent the first week at the ranch, ran 1000+ round  through her.
She ran like a champ, didnt exsperience any problems.
Did great on paper, also killed a few varments.
So far, I have Colt 20rd mags and  one 30rd  mag made in England, oh and the politically  correct 10rd mag that came with the rifle.

Just got here cleaned up  & ready to go again. :D

TG

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations.  Welcome to the sight and the addiction.

Get in the habit of using CLP (a lot of the guys, including me, like Breakfree CLP) for your cleaning.  Like others have mentioned, stick with USGI (not USA Magazine) magazines.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to everyone for their responses...

I've been wondering about breakaway...I'll have to see about a local supplier here in Houston.

On the mag's..well, I was impatient, and the day after I ordered them I was on this site...

I figure they'll do alright for range use, since that's what I'll be doing mostly anyhow...but I'll be looking for some USGI mags shortly I imagine...

ON the Harris Bipod's...do I need to get the Harris AR-15 adaptor or will those mount on the sling stud I already have?  I guess I should ask them...but wanted some opinions on people who have already done this...

I thought the 5.56 loads were a bit too 'hot' for a regular 223 weapon...but I'll check the barrel markings and see what it says...and get back to y'all on that one.

I'll have to see when the Houston boys are going to the range and see about meeting some more local 'black rifle' owners...

Thus far I have no complaints...my pocketbook does, but hey it's only money right?  I'll make more...(and right now I don't have a wife to answer to either, I'm sure that helps)...LOL

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#10]
if you have this rifle [img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/Images/pcwa2s16.jpg[/img]
it's chambered for .223/5.56
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2s16.asp[/url]
congrats btw!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#11]
If I didn’t have a wife, I would own multiple belt-fed machine guns.  But now that I have her, I wouldn’t trade her for the world.  [;)]

The CLP you want is called Breakfree.  There is a Harris bipod adapter, which provides a swivel stud to attach the bipod; can’t think of the number though.

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I didn’t have a wife, I would own multiple belt-fed machine guns.  But now that I have her, I wouldn’t trade her for the world.  [;)]

View Quote

I'm guessing she was next to you when you wrote this.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope.  (But she might read this later tonight.  [:D])
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Good choice on the Bushmaster.

ON the Harris Bipod's...do I need to get the Harris AR-15 adaptor or will those mount on the sling stud I already have? I guess I should ask them...but wanted some opinions on people who have already done this...
View Quote

You do need the Harris ar-15 adapter, it is the #5 adapter or HB5 adapter.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top