Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2003 2:47:47 PM EDT
This may have been hashed out before but could not find anything on it.I was wondering why it states in the owners manual (the one I downloaded from this site) "DO NOT exchange or switch bolt assemblies from one M16A2 to another doing so may result in injury to. or death of, personnel"  I got both of my AR's without instructions. I happened to do this once because while at the range I found my ejector pin missing so instead of driving 50 miles home I just switched bolts and carrier around! Was this a close call? Thanks for the help!!!    

DrB.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as the head space is okay, you should be fine.  The military does it all the time.  If you make it a regular thing, be sure to get a set of headspace guages to always keep yourself in check and make sure you don't have  kaboom.  If you don't have the guages, the best thing to do is avoid swicthing them cause you never know.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The military does it all the time.
[/qutoe]
No they don't - not since Vietnam.

Prlblme is the bolts will wear a bit to fit the barrel.  Swapping the bolt between barrels accellerates the wear - and you can get into a condition of excessive headspace.

Doing it a few times isn't a big deal (especially on new bolts) but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

BTW it is SPECIFICALLY warned against swapping bolts in the military manuals.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top