Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2003 12:11:37 PM EDT
I have a Colt lower that still has the sear block in it.  I was told that a standard bolt carrier will not work unless the sear block is removed.  I placed my bushmaster upper onto my Colt lower and cycled the bolt a few times and never noticed any contact between the carrier and the sear block.  Also, there was no noticeable wear on the surface of either piece.  From what I can tell there is just enough clearance for it to work.  Was someone just pulling my leg when they told me this or is it true?  I have not attempted to fire it in this configuration yet because I wanted to find out from you guys if it can be done first.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The sear block Colt lower will only prevent installation of a drop in auto sear.  It will function with normal AR parts like you described.  The Colt "half-moon" bolt carrier normally associated with this lower was designed to prohibit use of the AR-15 to M-16 bolt carrier converter device.  The sear block which is easily and legally removed has no effect on any "full-circle" bolt carriers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
It should work fine.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  That's what I wanted to hear.  I didn't really want to remove it unless I had to.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#4]
My M4 colt upper with the M-16 carrier will not close onto my pre-ban colt lower with the sear block. Put the ar 15 carrier into the M4 upper and no prob. So check first. Just my experience.
Spooge Out!
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My M4 colt upper with the M-16 carrier will not close onto my pre-ban colt lower with the sear block. Put the ar 15 carrier into the M4 upper and no prob. So check first. Just my experience.
Spooge Out!
View Quote

Bingo!  We have a winner!  You just discovered why Colt put in a sear block with a piece of it protruding up into the upper receiver.  The block serves two purposes, you cannot use a sear or a M16 carrier.  If you ever looked at a Colt AR15 in 9MM with a sear block, you would notice that this part of the block is cut off because the 9MM carrier is the same for semi and full auto.  Go figure!
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#6]
What did I win!?[bounce]  What did I win!?[bounce]

I'll take door number........ [thinking]

3! [party]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top