Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2003 4:15:22 PM EDT
Would someone identify the carbine used by Al Pacino in the movie "Heat." I think it is an FAL.  I'm looking to expand my horizon beyond my mouseguns and am trying to choose bewteen either an Imbel FAL or DSA version and an AR-10. Please share your opinions as there is no substitute for experience.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
FAL mags are plentiful & relatively inexpensive, adjustable gas piston system is a nice feature that all gas-operated rifles should have, IMO. Plus DSA makes a killer FAL /w lots of options.

As to "Heat", the gun looks like a Galil-derivative, but I think it's actually a French design. I can't ID it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://world.guns.ru/assault/fn_fnc2.jpg[/img]

At least you didn't include the word HEAT in your topic title. That gets everyone crazy. It is neither an FAL or AR10. It was made by FN but it is the FN FNC.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
DSA FAL, its a better rifle. Its combat proven, mags are cheaper and avaliable in 20 round form. AR10 mags have issues unless you use converted M14, but they don't lock the bolt after the last shot. Armalite sells 20 round conversion or complete mags but many need fine tuning befor they are 100% reliable and they are not cheap.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
FAL mags are $4-$9 while AR10 mags are $50. Since you NEED at least 20, you're looking at $180 vs. $1,000 !!!!! Also friends who own AR10s report lots of jams, shits where it eats gas system (Like AR), and not battle proven. DSA is the way to go
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO, The FAL is a better bang for the buck!!  Give Ohio Rapid Fire A call, since they build a great 308 for the money.  Mags are much cheaper as well!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#7]
No consideration for the SR-25?

Edited to say:  Ooops, didn't read your post very well, SR-25 is not a first .308 type gun (very $$$).  I really like the FAL.  I don't think it's accuracy potential is that of the AR-10 though.  I once attended a lecture on the FAL from Peter Kokalis himself, and they found that point of impact changed from round to round in relation to the rounds position in the magazine, though the first round placement was always the same.  The FAL is more versatile I think, due to the adjustable gas system, magazines are cheap and plentiful as are spare parts.  Heck, you can buy FAL/STG-58 kits and build your own on the cheap. AR-10 gives you more prestige. I have the FAL and SR-25, but still want the AR-10, naturally.  My ultimate fun .308?  A DSA built select fire paratrooper FAL with folding stock and 12" entry barrel.

For your first .308, get the FAL first, then go for the AR-10 later in consideration of affordability and availability/utility. Come into a lot of money then you can get the SR-25 and tease the AR-10 owners.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely the FAL.  The AR-10 is a very accurate rifle, but honestly, just about everyone I've shot ahs had reliability issues, many times related to their very expensive magazines.

The FAL is one of the most battle proven weapons on this planet, and is more than accurate "enough" for the job it was designed for.

As for HEAT, as previously mentioned, Pacino was using a cut-down FNC.  

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=3901[/img]
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The CETME are kinda cool as well.Very little kick.Have to use G3 magazines from H.K. for reliability.An Imbel is easy to use/clean as the Ar15.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#10]
The AR-10 will be considerably more accurate and vastly easier to scope.  Right now AR15.com has a deal with ArmaLite on the SEBR rifle and carbine - the prices are unbeatable.  The ArmaLite AR-10 is in use now with components of the US military as well as the militaries of at least two allied countries.

I don't want to start any flames but DSA FAL is NOT a battle proven gun.  The preban FN FAL's are battlefield proven and you're looking at about $2000.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Me like both, will probably always have a FAL around considering they were at one time the right arm of the free world, and as such the most important Western rifle of the Cold War era.

This is not 1957 anymore though, so now days I prefer the modern AR-10 family for practical use(as in actually use the thing for something other then advanced plinking or a safe queen)for the following reasons:

scopes and irons can be mounted in the same plane
scopes or irons can be removed with out tools
trigger can be single or double stage match grade, off the shelf
for sub-minute accuracy no voodoo is needed
the receiver will not rust
rear sight and front sight mounted to the same assembly
same manual of arms as current standard US GI rifle
less/straight recoil = faster target acquisition
faster mag changes
the gas adjustment knob can not be set incorrectly
an SR-25 won at Camp Perry (the only gas gun to do so)
can be charged in the prone while the left hand is in a sling
duel aperture sight, and windage/elevation adjustable in the field with no tools
Sight are set up like as God intended from right side – clockwise for right – from above – clockwise for up
lighter weight of the action, allows use of a heavy barrel while weighing less then a light barreled FAL
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Go for the FAL ...DSA SA 58.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top