Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2003 1:57:16 PM EDT
It would appear that many, if not most, of the participants of this forum are high volume shooters. Is that the reason that I've noticed no posts on reloading ammo? Does the time spent in such an endeavor make it not worth the effort compared to the relative expense of the surplus ammo available?

Does anyone reload the .223? For what purpose - accuracy, cost savings, etc.? Has anyone done a cost comparison of reloads vs. a decent surplus?

I don't plan to do a large volume of shooting (probably 200 - 400 rounds per month after an ititial break-in / sight-in period) and was wondering if re-loading was the way to go given that the brass would be essentially a no-cost aquisition. What do you think?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a reloading section on the General forum. I reload and buy bulk. You can save money is you bulk buy bullets and use surplus powder. I reload for accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Back when I had the time to reload I did it more for accuracy reasons. I haven't ever upgraded to a progressive reloader, so for me the time it would take to load bulk ammo is outweighed by the cheap russian ammo I can buy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Several years ago, I standardized my firearms due to the ammount of shooting that I do.  I keep at least a couple of thousand rounds of ammunition on hand for each caliber, and keeping that much ammunition for 8-10 different calibers was tough.  I shoot military calibers (9mm, 5.56, .308), because the cost of the ammunition.  The savings over factory ammunition does not justify the time and effort involved.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I reload .223 and .30-06 for accuracy. I will try and buy all components in bulk. Cost savings? I do not know, don't care. I just enjoy putting the stuff together on rainy days so I can shoot on sunny days. Relaxing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I reload for cost savings.  I shoot home brewed M193 for .o6 a pop.

Bought 1000 m193 bullets for $20
8 lbs of powder for $64
1,000 primers for $20
Cases are free for me at work ; -)
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I may get into reloading as a hobby after I retire.
Right now it doesnt make sense for me to reload. My overtime rate is over $50.00 an hour.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top