Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2003 3:17:34 PM EDT
Have 20 round mags and 30 round mag pouches? Hate how it's hard to get your fat fingers on them? Well with 10 minutes, some duct tape, scissors, and cardboard, we can fix that problem!

First cut about nine cardboard rectangles about the right size...easiest way to do this is measure with 3 mags standing feed lips down on the cardboard. They don't have to be exact but get close. Then stick them all in there and make sure they fit flat against the bottom. Stick in your mags and add more or take out layers to get the right height. You can always do this later after you do a field evaluation too.

Duct-tape it up like so. Use lots of duct-tape, it is very tactical. Make sure your insert fits in there snugly, wouldn't want it coming out. That wouldn't be very tactical at all. An added bonus of this is that your mag pouch doesn't collapse when you take out mags.

Voila! Here is the finished product. It closes easily; if you want them to stick up more you could add several more layers of cardboard.

I have yet to take this out in the field (aka range) and test it. If anyone does, please let me know. I think this should stand up for a while, but if it doesn't, I'm only out about $ .20 and 10 minutes. Hell, I cut the inserts while on the crapper! Let me know how you like it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Or you can cram a rag into the bottom of the pouch.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
or buy 20rd mag pouches.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
lol..what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
 Boy, you guys sure know how to piss in this kid's kool-aid.  Don't listen to them, little man, your idea isn't bad.  

IM sent on another cool idea...
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
or buy 20rd mag pouches.
View Quote

Do you mean bandoleers, or something else? I don't like bandoleers, they are flimsy as hell. Plus I only have 3 20 rounders. And this keeps it simple. All I need to do is insert/remove this little thing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#6]
no, what he means is get a 20 rounder mag pouch , just like the 30s but shorter.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
no, what he means is get a 20 rounder mag pouch , just like the 30s but shorter.
View Quote

Never seen them. I like my free way better, partly because it's my idea, partly (mostly) because it's free.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Good idea, not knocking it, but try the same w/ "trau-medic" packs, always good to have extras and watertight, so no "soak-up".

S2
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Good thinking on the watertight. I hope my duct-tape (lemme put it this way...there are at least five layers) holds up and is watertight too. Not sure though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#11]
How do you get the cardboard assembly past the pouch's two divider strips-  Did you cut them out?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine already had them cut out when I bought it, but you could simply turn it sideways, assuming your insert was small enough. Or you could make a two-piece.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Good job SW, I like it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I think SW has a great idea which not only works well but also accesorizes quite well with his red miniskirt....
BTW, could you leave one end of the cardboard open in order to store a few slugs in there?
[:D]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think SW has a great idea which not only works well but also accesorizes quite well with his red miniskirt....
BTW, could you leave one end of the cardboard open in order to store a few slugs in there?
[:D]
View Quote

That's what the grenade pouches are for!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't pick on the boy... he had to take the "little bus" 50 miles, up hill both ways, just to get to shop class and build this fix with cardboard and duct tape...  They even let him use the safety scissors all by himself!
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Or you can cram a rag into the bottom of the pouch.
View Quote

Way back in the day circa 1982, we were told that 30 round mags were for paratroopers and Rangers. All us 'regular' grunts had was 20 rounders. We were told to put the first aid bandage in the bottom or each magazine pouch. Not only did it work, but it increased our bandage supply by a factor of 3x.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:35:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I personally like the idea.  One bag for either, if your takin 20rdrs insert block (i would cut up some rigid insulation and wrap for water proofing) or take em out when usin 30 rdrs.  Use the money you would have spent on buying two pouches to elect President H. Klinton.[;)]
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Good job S.W.. Here is another suggestion; find a box about the same size as your home made filler. That way you can put essentials such as tools, parts or cleaning items in the box and still fill up the excess space in the bottom of the pouch.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Use the money you would have spent on buying two pouches to elect President H. Klinton.[;)]
View Quote

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#21]
duct tape, cardboard, man where is the bailing wire, can't use duct tape without the bailing wire. J/k good idea making mine now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top