Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2003 10:23:19 AM EDT
See the troops in paper everyday with there rifles and was wondering if colt is still making the G.I. M-16 or if they use a different company such as Knigths?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#1]
FN is making them.  Colt makes the M-4
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The 'Run of the Mill' M-16 A2 and A4 is manufactured by Fabrique National in South Carolina.

Colt makes the M4 and M4 SPMOD weapons as they have the pattent for the various "technologies" used to make these weapons.

As far as all the DMR, SPR, BMW, VIP, MOD, whatever variants, I haven't the slightest clue. As such, could I add a question to this thread and ask what all the various, in-use, versions of the M-16 there are for things like the DMR?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#3]
The m4 patent is held by colt and I don't believe it is licensed to anyone else.
In the past one of the mfg's for the m16 was possibly Beretta although I am just reaching back into my sometimes shakey brain.Seems someone here
should have better info.
NHSPORT
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#4]
COLT manufactures the M4.  SOPMOD is a different matter.  KAC at this time is the main supplier of the SOPMOD features concerning forends, etc.  Though other companies are in the running for the  Block II requirements.  Companies like Aimpoint, Insight Technologies, etc.......also play a part in the SOPMOD program.  Colt does make an M4 Bolt upgrade for the Sopmod enhanced carbine mods though.

DMR...designated marksman rifle
SPR...special purpose rifle
etc.......
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Then WHOM is bushmaster making m-16s for?

My Dad was at the BM factory, and they had M203 combos comming off the line in boxes geting ready to be shipped.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My Dad was at the BM factory, and they had M203 combos comming off the line in boxes geting ready to be shipped.

BISHOP
View Quote

maybe various other governments around the world.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone have a pic of the receiver stamping on and FN made M16A2. I have never seen one in person.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget, Lewis Machine and Tool makes the CQBR (Close Quarters Battle Receiver) with the 10.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Colt, Hydramatic (General Motors), and Harrington & Richardson made M-16A1's.

Colt made the first batches of A2's, they lost the bid to FN a few years back. As stated, FN makes the A4's now, too.

Bushmaster made some M-4's for the US gov in the early 1990's, but Colt has made the majority, and AFAIK all of them since it's Army wide adoption for Airborne, Air Assault, and other units.

other sompanies, like BM, will still be making and selling rifles for approved purchasers.

How many remember when the M-4 was called the "Abu Dabai Carbine"?

Tim
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Troy. I've seen the FN web page just never seen FN receiver stampings.

Do they have the FN trade mark like this on them?
[img]http://www.fnmfg.com/fnlog1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

BISHOP
View Quote

Certainly not the US military as Bushmaster isn't even a recognized military manufacturer.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#15]
My M16A2 is a Colt. When did they stop making them? How could I find out how old it is?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My M16A2 is a Colt. When did they stop making them? How could I find out how old it is?
View Quote

Colt lost the U.S. contract around 1986, about the same time as the machine gun ban and the time the Army adopted it.  The A2 was adopted by the Marine Corps in around '82/'83.  That leaves a very brief window in which it was made and was available for sale to a civilian.  Most likely, it is not more than 20 years old, unless you are LEO and your M16 is a duty weapon.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top