Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2003 3:28:19 PM EDT
Does anyone know if it's OK to simply grind the locking surfaces off of the sides of the bayonet lug rather than cut the whole thing off when using a pre-ban barrel on a post ban rifle?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#1]
yes, it is.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I should clarify a bit.

The bayonet only locks onto the two front teeth of the bayonet lug. The rearward protrusions can't hold the bayonet on.

Should I cut off the rearward ones also? There is no way for the bayonet to even go over them. It's actually a stop for when the bayonet locks onto the two front lugs.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is non functional, it is no longer a bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Just remove the front ones and it will be impossible to mount a bayo.  Shouldn't take more than a minute to do with a dremel.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:24:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Did that. Then touched it up with some cold blue paste. Looks nice and it still preserves that original AR sillouette. A CAR-15 just doesn't look right without the bayonet lug in the profile.

I wonder why more people don't do that instead of just cutting the whole thing off?

Put on a CavComp muzzlebrake. From a few feet away, the CAR-15 looks like a pre-ban. If AWB sunsets, I'll just Dremel out the welded pin, remove the CavComp, and install a Vortex flashhider.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top