Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2003 2:37:18 PM EDT
First, I'm looking for the real Knights web site ( not knightsarmament.com!)

And a question for Troy. I'm working on a friends pre-ban Colt A2 HBAR, and he wants a M5 RAS, and a masterkey. I know the RAS won't fit without the barrel work, but I need to know if the masterkey is Kaliban legal(?), before I put the barrel on a diet.

TIA for expounding your knowledge.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
First, I'm looking for the [u]real[/u] Knights web site ( not knightsarmament.com!)
View Quote

[url]http://www.knightarmco.com/[/url]

Here you go.

The M5 RAS should fit the Colt heavy barrel, I had one on my Bush heavy barrel 20 inch awhile back, so the Colt HB shouldn't be heavier then the Bush.  I think you might get away with it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#2]
quarterbore.com
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Masterkey?

What is it?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[url]www.impactguns.com/store/media/kmc_masterkey.jpg[/url]

The MasterKey sysem is a cut-down 870 shotgun that is mounted underneath an AR barrel like an M203.  Knights sells the whole thing as a system for something like $1,800 or so (may be more these days), not including tax stamp.  It was intended for door breaching (hence the name: "MasterKey"), but the military quickly figured out that it sucks having all that extra weight on your AR when you only use the shotgun portion very rarely.  They went back to using 14" pistol-grip pump-guns for breaching, which they keep on their rucks when not in use.

-Troy
View Quote

I should not have asked.....what is the appropriate stamp you must possess and what is the ATF tax on it?

Is that one of the $5 ones, or one of the $200 ones?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#8]
But once you have your tax stamp for the SBS don't you still have to comply with having a shotgun mounted to your AR?  Are there laws about mounting the two?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]
If you actually go ahead with our Masterkey application on your HBAR, I advise you to have the barrel turned at the appropriate location for the M203 QD latch in a way identical to a mil-spec M4 barrel.  If not, you are going to need our Barrel Stop P/N: 97162 (and turn the barrel anyway, but in a different way) that is normally provided in the G.I. M5 RAS Pack-Out, not in the commercial m5 RAS package.
That being said, I agree with Troy.  I don't think you will like the weight and bulk this adds to a rifle.  I have tried it and i don't like it.  Seems to work ok on a carbine if you are a team breacher, that is then left outside covering the street, but not if you are going room to room.  However, on full auto, you can put all 30 rounds in one burst right in somebody's face as the muzzle is so heavy it "just hangs there" during the burst.  Of course, the target has to be holding pretty still for you to have enough time to bring this much mass to bear very quickly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Troy!  Coldblue!  

Thanks for the info!  Makes sense legally (since it's not a GL, etc.) but was unclear.  

I agree about the bulk, plus, and I could be wrong(not the first/last time) but it seems it would beat the bbl. to hell and back over time!
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Troy / coldblue
thanks for the replies and info. I'm sure this info will change the direction of this project.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top