Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2003 10:07:44 AM EDT
Are there different kind of supressors i see some ppl say flash supressors but does it also make the  rifle pretty quiet, im pretty new to AR's so i dont know much about it
thnx for the help
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#1]
There are 2 types of suppressors, one which only reduce flash, and have no effect on sound, and sound suppressors, which also eliminate muzzle flash. From what I have been told, the .223 cartridge is not a very good candidate for a sound suppressor (I still haven't used one).
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]
HKUMP45 is right.  here are the differences.  
a sound suppressor (or also known as a "silencer" or "can") looks like this
[img]http://www.gem-tech.com/Images/m496d-1S.jpg[/img]
a Silencer is made to reduce the noise or report of the rifle or host weapon
a Flash suppressor which is used to reduce muzzle flash and or muzzle rise on PRE_BAN rifles looks like this
[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/Images/Defaul1-small.gif[/img]
this is meant to reduce muzzle flash and also to launch grenades on the birdcage flash suppressors.

Does that answer your question?  There are also many various muzzle breaks that are meant to be cosmetic and also tame the wild muzzle rise of the .223 round  [rolleyes] like this one
[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/Images/yhm-259.jpg[/img]

edited to fix my fat fingering.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Sound supressors are very effective on the .223 shot through an AR.

Ppffft, clack rather than KABOOM! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Good AR suppressors work great!  I recently got back from an unpleasant place where people were crazy (and good) enough to shoot m4's out of moving aircraft.  .556 is loud enough to get quite annoying even with helmet and earplugs.  Screw on the Knight's suppressor and and you could barely hear the pops over the rotors.  

Sound suppressors are for stealth, but their secondary job is comfort for the operator and the poor saps who aren't shooting. (my personal theory)

They may not be James Bond silent, but they are still pretty amazing.  Search some old threads on silencers/suppressors.  There are plenty of owners/operators on this board!
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Sound suppressors suck on AR's You will always get that Crack from one they are much quiter but no movie fart sounds. The only time I have heard a suppressor sound like that is on a AR that is running 22LR
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#6]
great info thnx guys, does the sound supressor also help with recoil or no
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't notice any dramatic effect on recoil.  If anything a can would make it kick a bit harder since more gas is being forced back into the system.  I don't think you'll notice with 5.56.  Some good cans actually improve accuracy too.  I don't understand it but its proven!

Quiet is subjective.  You may still be annoyed at the supersonic crack, but trust me its dramatically quieter than unsuppressed 5.56 or god forbid one with a compensator.  Some of those designs are obnoxiously loud.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sound suppressors suck on AR's You will always get that Crack from one they are much quiter but no movie fart sounds. The only time I have heard a suppressor sound like that is on a AR that is running 22LR
View Quote

DUH!!  You will get a sonic crack down range with any super sonic round .22 rim included.  I have shot 308's with John Norrels can on it and all you heard was the crack down range.  Plus the thing I like about the 5.56 suppressed is that it displaces the sound, hence you hear the sonic crack but you will not be able to tell where the shot came from.  Plus there are rounds out there in 5.56mm that are deadly quiet and still cycle your weapon on full auto.  Check out some Extreme Shock rounds expensive but all you hear is the whoosh and bolt slamming shut sound.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
They do make subsonic ammo for 223 and 308.  It may or may not cycle your bolt.  And it WILL change POI of your scope.  But, it will be movie like quiet with a quality can and ammo.

Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I think barrel length has a lot to do with how effective the suppressor is at reduceing the sound. I have a Gemtech M4-96C (predator) on a 10-inch Colt; the suppressor is very effective but the report from the weapon remains fairly loud, some people still elect to wear hearing protection when firing the weapon. I have also had the can on 20-inch barrels and notice that the report is considerably quieter.

Also, a suppressor will considerably reduce recoil. Have fired a 300 Wby Mag with a Thundertrap on the 22-inch barrel, recoil was similar to a 308 Win. Just to make sure we weren’t shooting anemic loads the owner pulled the can off and sure enough, it was a Wby Mag.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#11]
is there a good link to go to for rules and regulations on cans in different states?????
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
is there a good link to go to for rules and regulations on cans in different states?????
View Quote

Yes, right here on this site. Follow the link:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=108482[/url]

Sorry, but if you are in NJ you are out of luck on suppressors.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I am pretty sure California passed local laws against anything fun that you might want to do. Check local laws first before wasting your brain cells on such matters.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are there different kind of supressors i see some ppl say flash supressors but does it also make the  rifle pretty quiet, im pretty new to AR's so i dont know much about it
thnx for the help
View Quote

[b]Let's see here.  Per your post of 7/29/03 you should now be in boot camp - Marine Corps boot camp by now.[/b]  What happened to that little deal ????
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]
.300 Whisper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top