Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2003 9:32:36 AM EDT
I'm shopping around for a Bushmaster 16" barrel with an A3 upper. Today I saw one with an M4 barrel for $800. At another store, I can get the same gun, minus the M4 barrel, for $780. Besides the notch, what's the difference in the barrels? The guy at the store with the M4 said it was superior, built to military specs or something like that. Should I buy it? Is it worth it? Anything else I should be looking for? This will be my first AR-15, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Devin
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#1]
What's twenty dollars worth to you?
The M4 barrel will be lighter.
The M4 barrel will allow you to mount an M-203.

FWIW, for 20 bucks, I'd hit it.
Oh, and 800 looks like a good deal. My bushy shorty cost that much w/o the M4 profile.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I just did the same thing with Olympic Arms, the difference the M4 barrel was $60 for stainless steel. I don't know if BM offers stainless.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Stryfe, what's an M-203?
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#4]
For the $20 you get a lighter - better handling carbine.  Definately do it.

FYI an M203 is the military's 40mm grenade launcher.  There are 37mm flare launchers patterned after it (which are compartively inexpensive and fairly easy to purchase).
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The M-203 is a US military grenade launcher mounted mainly under M-16s and M-4s. 40 mm, I believe. Also shoots flares and buckshot.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess for something that you will be using for so many number of years, you cant go wrong with USD 20! Go get the M4 profile barrel, you will be happier with it!1 even if you won't have the need for the relief cuts, it looks good!! Do you know that here from where i am M4 barrels by DPMS w/o the hider, sights and anything.. Just the BARREL is around USD 450!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Ahhhh, but does the M4 barreled rifle have the mini-y compensator? If so, you may want to consider going with the bare muzzle 16" hbar.  In the end, the mini-y cost me over $300 dollars to rectify, and I promise you you won't like it any more then me.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:56:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:39:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, the barrel doesn't have a compensator, otherwise I wouldn't have wanted it. But I ended up buying it. I'm going to shoot it in a couple days. I've never shot an AR-15, so I'm pretty pumped. Thanks for the advice guys, I doubt I would've bought the gun without it, I might've had a shiny new winch for my jeep instead.
Devin
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top