Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2003 5:49:19 AM EDT
I understand that they can be sold or transferred without an FFL because they are useless chunks of unfinished metal. But aside from that, Finishing one  off and using it to build a new rifle, How LEGAL is that? Are there any laws to prohibit this? Do you have to give it a serial number and keep records on it? And what keeps people from building them as Pre-ban? Or can they built in a preban configuration? Ive have alot that i wonder about as far as doing some, but I was concerned with the legal aspects. If its too much, Ill just start with a stripped lower from RRA or someone.  I think it would be awesome to totally build my next rifles from start to finish, but If its that big a hassle Ill pass!

Thanks
Chrism101
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 5:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can legally buy and own an AR type rifle in your location, you may build your own from an 80% lower.

Example: It is not legal to buy a standard post-ban AR in California, so you may not build one either.

If you are looking at cost only, it is cheaper to buy a RockRiver lower and build from there.

But, if you like to tinker, and want to learn all about what makes an AR tick, the 80% is the way to go. The added plus is no yellow form. There is no federal requirement to put a number on a homemade gun, but you can't sell it without a number.

As to finishing one, you will have to drill/finish 11 holes. And finish size the magwell.  All can be done with hand tools, but a drill press makes life easier.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:00:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Finishing one  off and using it to build a new rifle, How LEGAL is that?
View Quote

Very

Are there any laws to prohibit this?
View Quote

Federal: No
State Laws may vary.

Do you have to give it a serial number and keep records on it?
View Quote

Federal: No
State Laws may vary.

And what keeps people from building them as Pre-ban?
View Quote

Time travel. To be a pre-ban it must be completed and built prior to 9/94.

Or can they built in a preban configuration?
View Quote

No

Go to the Build it Yourself forum and read previous posts.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not positive on the legal aspects of serializing them but I do know that you can NOT finish a 80% lower and then configure it into a Pre-Ban configuration because it will be manufactured after the AWB.  That is for sure.  No way to do it legally.  You can put a collapsable stock or FH or bayo lug ONLY if you do away with one of the other features such as the pistol grip, or detatchable mag.You cannot finsiha  lower and then make it a true preban configuration legally.  I personally would not undertake this job due to the fact that I do not have the proper equipment.  You would need some good equipment and skills IMHO such as a good drill press, and probably some other stuf I do not have access to right now.  it is easier to just pay $99 for a stripped lower and drop the parts in.  If you dont want to have to register it, just buy one at a fun show.  or locally face to face.  As for serializing and legality there I am not sure so someone else will have to field that one.    
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#4]
For serial # info; [url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=162562]here[/url]

and other info; [url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=148435]BIY lower build sites[/url]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#5]
How would anyone know when you build it? For example before the ban?
Do you have to register it?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:17:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a receipt showing the lower was purchased prior to 9/94? Do you have receipts showing that you had the barrel with flashhider and bay. lug prior to 9/94?

No? You lost them? Oh, well...post ban!

You don't have to register them with the Fed, but may have to depending on your state requirements.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you dont want to have to register it, just buy one at a fun show.
View Quote

Nope, still have to fill out the form and they call it in.

I don't think that you need a serial number if you finish an 80%.

Haven't I read that you can only do one a year, for personal use only?

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you dont want to have to register it, just buy one at a fun show.
View Quote

Nope, still have to fill out the form and they call it in.

I don't think that you need a serial number if you finish an 80%.

Haven't I read that you can only do one a year, for personal use only?
View Quote

For 80%, no papers, no forms, no serial, no limit. The point is that because its only 80% of something, its nothing

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top