Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2003 6:03:19 PM EDT
I'm 15 years old and have been messing with a bushmaster carbine A2 (full A2 stock, 16"bbl) mainly to familiarize my self with with the M16 type platform.  Any tips for reaching my goal of being able to certify expert when i join the Army?  In other words... how do i teach myself to shoot this gun.  I can only afford about 50 rounds of M193 a week.  Right now I hold a consistent 6.5 inch group at 100 yards off sandbags with no optics and a standard battle zero.  Any pointers?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Practice, practice, practice. Try starting off at 50 yards first.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My local .22LR Civilian Marksmanship Program is supposed to be starting soon.  Maybe if I'm lucky i could find a local AR buddy to help me out.  Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
familiarization is really all you need, the military will teach you how they want you to shoot
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#4]
get your hands on a decent 22 rimfire or even decent target airgun. The more you can shoot, the better you will shoot your AR.

Try reading, thinking, practicing
[url]http://www.targetshooting.ca/reframerize.cfm?redirect=http://www.targetshooting.ca/train_manuals.htm[/url]

The Army Marksmanship Unit puts out an outstanding pistol manual; I expect their rifle manual is the same.

You don't want to just qualify- set your goal at total domination! Hey, you have 3 years to practice! Use that practice time wisely.

See if you can join a club, or get some instruction in competition.

Good luck,

Pete
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Save up a little money and get some instruction from somebody who knows. Especially someone taught by the marines.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
E-mail me your address and I'll spring for 200 rounds of .223 as a donation to your "education" - no strings attached.

(Edited to add - it's Guatamalan - good all around ammo.)
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#7]
First off as I'm sure you know you won't be using the M4 platform to qualify with.  At 300 meters you will experience a bit off difference between the two.  You will have plenty of time to practice in basic before you do you BRM qualification.  If you're serious about going in just keep youself in shape so you can get promoted before you leave.  (Promontions are given for passing a PT test and memorizing ranks and such before you leave and/or getting someone else to join).  I'm leaving for Fort Benning Georgia in November.  I believe 2 miles in 16 minutes (track), 42 push-ups in 2 minutes, and 70 sit-ups in two minutes qualifies you for the PT promotion.  
     As far as practice, well practice makes perfect.  Take notes of what you do differntly when you shoot and how this affects your patterns.  Include your "cheek weld, trigger pull, and breathing patterns"
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not worried about any of the PT.  I've been working on that for the last few years.  I guess I should have mentioned i plan on entering ROTC and finishing up college instead of going straight in at the age of 17 and I do know I won't be using a carbine but I figure if I can adequately shoot a carbine, moving to a 20 incher can only make me better after i get used to it.  Thanks a lot for all the replies and good information.  I'm an ambitious kid and this will help me meet and excede my goal I am sure of it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Shoot, shoot, shoot. Then shoot some more. I would also try to pick up a .22 due to the economical nature of the round.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Everyone has given you good tips, shoot as much as you can, take your time, and get a good .22.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Rion, 240 on the way UPS tomorrow.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Go here:

[url]http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/[/url]

and order Fred's Army Qualification Test course.   It's set up for 25m (82 ft) covering all 4 firing positions.   Costs $16.  Should be good practice.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#13]
THANK YOU XANADU!  (and of cousrse everyone else, this was very informative.)
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Where are you located in KY Youngone?

I used to live near Fort Campbell

I just got into ARs this year and it's the first rifle I've shot for accuracy that had open sights, it took me awhile to get used to sight picture and everything and after I got my rear sight squared away groups really started to tighten up, all I can say is practice, squeeze, and sight picture that's the key. I've also found with my not so perfect eyes if I focus on the target groups are normally much better.

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Try    http://www.nationalmatch.us/
Go to the states section and find a local CMP/Nation Matches affilliated club in your area
usally a junior club will be there also.Get great free[almost]ammo and a loaner rifle.
plus great instruction and a good time .

Now as to enlisting,,I'm gonna burn
If you got good scores in academics,and want to learn a career orintated field,,try the Air Force ,awesome school for zero's [offifers]
in BEAUTIFUL Coloradro Springs CO
Or the Navy

This from a [former ] Recon Marine Sgt 7yr
2 yr with 10th Mtn

By time your ready there maybe even more options like Border Patrol, and Coast Guard

BEST OF LUCK  
SEMPER FI
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Save up a little money and get some instruction from somebody who knows. Especially someone taught by the marines.
View Quote

Or maybe even the ARMY!  [sniper2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Where are you located in KY Youngone?

View Quote

I currently live in Independence, 15 minutes from ohio but i travel to visit family that lives within an hour of fort campbell quite often.

oh... and JPC,
I am actually going to my first CMP meeting tomorrow night (the 8th).  And about my service choices... i plan on going into the Army through ROTC and making it a career (I WILL be an Airborne Ranger!!!  Anyways, its a family thing.)
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#18]
You will be shooting human size flip-up targets out to 300 meters in the m16 qualification. You have to shoot fast or it drops down and counts as a miss. You only get 40 rounds and 40 targets.

To practice, just set up human size targets at ranges from 50 to 300 meters.

I believe 36-40 is expert.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#19]
So, with a battle zeroed A2 my point of impact and point of aim are the same at 300 yards?  I used the 25 meter zero and checked and adjusted windage at 100, shouldnt i be something like 5 inches high?  (the "8/3" mark on my rear elevatio knob is one click left of the indicating mark as the 25 meter zero said to do)
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't worry about it, they say the people who have never shot before do the best, they have no bad habits. Believe me you will get plenty of practice. Oh yeah, I ETS'd in 1999, and I have never heard of PT promotions, maybe they are new, or maybe your recruiter is feeding you a line of bullsh*t. I remember the guys who talked the biggest show in basic training shot NO BETTER than the guys who had never handled (or were even afraid) an M16 before. If I could give any advice (about basic training), it would be bring the least sh*t you can live on for a few days (you will be carrying it a lot of places), and do everything you can to get E-2 or E-3 before leaving for basic (you make alot more money).....Just a few thoughts from a Paratrooper
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#21]
82nd's on to something here.  The just shoot thing is ok but you will probably pick up some bad habits and keep trying to adjust them to fit.  Then they will be real hard to shake and you will always want to revert.  Go over to the competition forums and at the very least pursue the DCM/CMP course of competition.  These will teach you sound basics and a lot of "theory" that you can put to practical use, for instance you'll get to know your site adjustments in CMP competition for different ranges.  You'll learn what MOA is and what it looks like through your sites.  When you qualify you'll shoot at different range targets at the same time with no time for site adjustments but you will have the experience to know what MOA of adjustment is required for different ranges.  You will also be familiar with what an MOA looks like through your sites.  With a little practice and your advanced knowledge you will know how much to "hold over" when shooting the prone target at 25 yards to the half human siloett at 350 yards with out much thinking.  

Pay attention to this stuff in your CMP competitions.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Hey, great to hear you're thinking ROTC.  IM me if you have any questions.  I work as an ROTC recruiting officer so I can give you pointers about what to do to prepare for your time in the program.  #1, apply for the scholarship early.  The earlier the better.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top