Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2003 11:16:42 PM EDT
Couple weeks ago i asked if it was possible for "them" to confiscate our precious ARs without compensating us; the answers i got were grim...But still thanks anyway for the replies.

Now here is my question:
I want to expand my AR collection, but i'm afraid "they" might acctually come for them, come September 2004. [>(]
Is there acctually any significant chance confiscation may happen in the near future? What are the odds of this ever happening...Didn't this happen to california and New Jersey? What's the story on those states with strict assult weapon regulations?
Please no smartass "HAVE YOU CALLED YOUR CONGRESSMEN YET?!?".

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:13:43 AM EDT
[#1]
"No officer,I sold them ALL at a garage sale last week!!"

That WILL be my response!!

(Private sales are NOT regulated!!)
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#2]
You didnt buy your AR just to shoot at paper targets did you?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:53:33 AM EDT
[#3]
what assalt rifle?
these little semi-auto hunting rifles?
how could even a mindless liberal
think these are assalt rifles?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:05:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You didnt buy your AR just to shoot at paper targets did you?
View Quote

I did.

I have yet to shoot anything else with mine, unless you count pop bottle tops and used shotgun shells. But you never know.

Pete

I bought an extra AR because I figured that it might cost me much more down the line.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:24:16 AM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://home.nc.rr.com/blueshockey77/ar_shirt.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:39:51 AM EDT
[#6]
ARs???? i thought this was a meet and greet singles forum, my bag.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Is there a possibility that they would confiscate our Black Rifles by next? I doubt it seriously, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen. If the political winds shift against us, I could see it within 10-15 years.

The trick is that they will probably let you keep the ones you have, but you can't buy anymore. Then they will make you register them, and then tell you that once you die, they have to be turned into the state. Just make sure you do what you can to keep that from happening.

I myself would much rather fight to keep my rifles by trying to work within the system. I would hate the idea of keeping my rifles by depleting my ammo reserve. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#8]
TEN RULES OF A GUNFIGHT

1. Bring a gun. If you're smart, you'll bring at least two.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.

3. Only hits count.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

5. Keep shooting until the threat no longer exists; then stay sharp until somebody with a badge tells you to freeze.

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gun fight, bring a long gun and a friend.

7. In a relatively short time, nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be reloading or running.

9. Accuracy is relative: most hits will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than on the skill of the shooter or the inherent accuracy of the gun.

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it's empty.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow...

Lets just hope no politicians read the replies on this post...If they did we could kiss our ARs goodbye right now.

I don't want to kill anyone, who comes to take my guns. I was asking if pending legislation was heading towards confiscation.
Did any confiscations occur in California?

Also, i like the reply about having sold your ARs when they come for them...however wouldn't they just come in and search your house if you said that? - I know it's against the 4th amendment, but with the patriot act in place, the constitution is fucked.

Edited to add: blueshockey, where'd you get that shirt? I want one!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ARs???? i thought this was a meet and greet singles forum, my ba[red]d[/red].
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#11]
This is going to sound rude, but if the only reason you're worried is because you may lose $$$, then you've got bigger problems and need to read a few history books.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#12]
IF and WHEN someone comes for ANY of my guns, I will be safe and hand it to them EMPTY!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I think if it was bought before another law was passed it would be grandfathered in. Then again, who knows with this country lately. 50cal’s might be a problem to buy, but AR10’s and AR15 owners should be safe. The other point is well taken. If you are worried because of $$$$$ then there is a bigger problem.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Lockedon- The longer youy wait, the higher the price may get, roll the dice and take your chances. Better to have it in hand and risk it's loss than to wish you could afford one later. Is a ban/ confiscation possiable? Yes. Is it probable? Yes. Do what you can to help the cause. Enjoy it while you have it and get it while you can, 'cause you might not be able to tomorrow. Which do you want, happy memories or blue balls?

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Lockedon, your paranoia is amazing. Living in fear isn't worth it. Sell all your firearms now and take up golf, then you don't have to be scared anymore.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is going to sound rude, but if the only reason you're worried is because you may lose $$$, then you've got bigger problems and need to read a few history books.
View Quote

I'm far more worried about losing my dear AR's than $$$... Naturally i wouldn't want someone to forcefully take whats dear to me, without any type of compensation. Obviously C-4, if i cared about money more than my ARs, I wouldn't have spend any to buy them now, would I???
And btw, I minored in history, and i know all to well the course that this nation is taking.
Combine that with my love for my ARs, and you'll understand the source of my paranoia.

Thanks for everyone's responses.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#17]
First, in september 2004 if they passed a law to take away the guns it would be until the next year for it to become law. Second with all of the registered guns out there it would would take forever for them to actually come to your home and take them. The expense and man power would be prohibitive. Third is I would assume that the (I sold them awhile ago) line wouldn't work, they would have some kind of search warrent or thats what everyone would say. Last is I think it would be just way to much work for the government to do. Just think of all of the shooting every year and think about if the police were going up to peoples houses where everyone of them was armed. Most gun people are great but the police would also go up to crack houses (not knowing that is was one) or other high risk places. Would also run into gun fire from people protecting there constitutional rights. I could even see large gatherings of gun owners in public with there guns saying they won't give them up and having show downs with police. All in all, too much money to enforce to dangerous and to much hassle.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARs???? i thought this was a meet and greet singles forum, my ba[red]d[/red].
View Quote

View Quote

It used to be the other way.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
First, in september 2004 if they passed a law to take away the guns it would be until the next year for it to become law. Second with all of the registered guns out there it would would take forever for them to actually come to your home and take them. The expense and man power would be prohibitive. Third is I would assume that the (I sold them awhile ago) line wouldn't work, they would have some kind of search warrent or thats what everyone would say. Last is I think it would be just way to much work for the government to do. Just think of all of the shooting every year and think about if the police were going up to peoples houses where everyone of them was armed. Most gun people are great but the police would also go up to crack houses (not knowing that is was one) or other high risk places. Would also run into gun fire from people protecting there constitutional rights. I could even see large gatherings of gun owners in public with there guns saying they won't give them up and having show downs with police. All in all, too much money to enforce to dangerous and to much hassle.
View Quote

Thank you, this is the answer i was looking for!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
First, in september 2004 if they passed a law to take away the guns it would be until the next year for it to become law. Second with all of the registered guns out there it would would take forever for them to actually come to your home and take them.
View Quote

Congress is in session, they could pass a ban today and be signed tonight if they had support for it.

They do not have to take your guns, for most people, if you cannot take them out and shoot them, they are useless.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I have suffered a great loss... I was out on lake Okeechobee in my canoe and the darned thing flipped over... all of my ARs were in that canoe (was heading for a hunting lodge, ya know). I didn't have my GPS with me so I really have no idea where it happened.

Sad... really sad.. I was heart broken.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Is it 'possible'?  Absolutely.  Is it 'probable'?  Eventually, yes.  Even though we currently have the rare opportunity to witness the demise of one of Billy Bob's indiscretions, we [b]will[/b] eventually face another administration supportive of the anti's.  Its not a matter of if.

All it would take is another pencildick taking potshots out of a car trunk to get them banned, sunset provision or not.  The only thing preventing a replacement ban right now is the backlash at the polls following the 1994 ban.  Call your reps and remind them of this.

My take on when it happens:  Further sale or transfer may or may not be prohibited.  Those already in civilian hands will probably be registered.  If it is a federal scheme, they will most likely be declared NFA items and an amnesty period declared to register them.  If they are declared transferrable after this then the process will be very similar to current NFA machinegun transfers.

What can you do?  Enjoy having them and don't worry excessively about the future - put up the good fight though.  What will I do?  I will register them and continue to enjoy them.

One thing to think about:  A few of those $100 Eagle Arms lowers that Quantico Arms offers may be a wise investment.  For the cost of a decent AR, you could have 5 or 6 brand-new lowers stored for the future.  Registration or a ban will affect the lower receiver, not replacement parts.  A lifetimes worth of lowers in storage is comforting.  Sure wish I was old enough in 1986 to do that with M16 lowers - seen the price of a registered receiver lately?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One thing to think about:  A few of those $100 Eagle Arms lowers that Quantico Arms offers may be a wise investment.  For the cost of a decent AR, you could have 5 or 6 brand-new lowers stored for the future.  Registration or a ban will affect the lower receiver, not replacement parts.  A lifetimes worth of lowers in storage is comforting.  Sure wish I was old enough in 1986 to do that with M16 lowers - seen the price of a registered receiver lately?
View Quote

My thoughts exactly, though, I am upgrading to Bushmaster lowers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#24]
i was going to say the same thing as above.
i would hope all my AR brother and sisters would ban together in the streets and say "no your not taking our guns" i dont think they could arrest us all and would see we finally drew the line in sand instead of just giving in all the time!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#25]
i was going to say the same thing as above.
i would hope all my AR brother and sisters would ban together in the streets and say "no your not taking our guns" i dont think they could arrest us all and would see we finally drew the line in sand instead of just giving in all the time!
View Quote

I would hope so too, but unfortunately it wont happen.  My gut feeling is that NFA status will be our ultimate fate.  The problem is we are a politically incorrect minority even among firearms lovers.  Don't count on Cletus out in the deer stand backing us up.  The NRA abandoning us on NFA machineguns in 1986 should be kept in mind.

I dont see enough people rising up to vote from the rooftops to matter, and the few who do will suffer the fate of Weaver and the branch davidians.  Most of those who boast of it on boards like this one will, in the end, lay down and grovel just like the rest of us.  Thank God I live in an NFA state.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#26]
They won't have to send local law enforcement or even federal lawenforcement out to take guns.  I'm sure there are many countries willing to send U.N. "peace keepeers" over to do it. Over 1/3 of our military is overseas.  If a real war like North Korea pops up, none of our boys will be home.  If a sudden string of "domestic terrorism" occurs we will have "no choice" but to ask the U.N. for help. Hide and watch.

P.S. I know I listen to too much Alex Jones

[url]www.prisonplanet.com[/url] or [url]www.infowars.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is it 'possible'?  Absolutely.  Is it 'probable'?  Eventually, yes.  Even though we currently have the rare opportunity to witness the demise of one of Billy Bob's indiscretions, we [b]will[/b] eventually face another administration supportive of the anti's.  Its not a matter of if.

All it would take is another pencildick taking potshots out of a car trunk to get them banned, sunset provision or not.  The only thing preventing a replacement ban right now is the backlash at the polls following the 1994 ban.  Call your reps and remind them of this.

My take on when it happens:  Further sale or transfer may or may not be prohibited.  Those already in civilian hands will probably be registered.  If it is a federal scheme, they will most likely be declared NFA items and an amnesty period declared to register them.  If they are declared transferrable after this then the process will be very similar to current NFA machinegun transfers.

What can you do?  Enjoy having them and don't worry excessively about the future - put up the good fight though.  What will I do?  I will register them and continue to enjoy them.

View Quote

Another wonderful answer! I most certainly will invest in at least one of those eagle arms receivers! Are those any good? They're basically Armalite lowers right?

And if all else fails: Fuck this, i'm moving to canada.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And if all else fails: Fuck this, i'm moving to canada.
View Quote

It will have to get really bad before I would consider that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Are you nuts?  Move to Canada???  You think our gun laws are bad!  While I forget the exact issue, a few months ago American Rifleman had an article on the complete f'in disaster that is Canadian gun ownership...  I suggest you check through your back issues.

Scot
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#30]
The complete disaster is how they tried to do gun registration. An old man with a non-functioning .22 stood up as the "sacrificial lamb" and is/was being tried. The provinces are refusing to support the central government on the issue and are doing little/nothing to uphold the law.
Sure, they can have flash suppressors and colapsable stocks, but only limited round magazines.
That covers just the little bit that I know about our neighbors to the north, or south for those in Detroit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I AM AN AMERICAN!!I Was born here,I live here And Ill die here but not without a FIGHT,We have an obligation as americans to also "Protect and defend our way of life,the constitution and our rights,No one is taking the things I work hard for,Im a good man and good citizen and Im not giving up Life,Liberty,or property without a fight,I play by the rules,seems to me if the rule breakers.ie the repeat crimminals were dealt with we wouldnt be having our rights assaulted because of the morons who commit the crimes.And I dont want fair compensation my "RIGHTS" are worth more than that,My principals cannot be bought.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I imagine it’ll eventually (some day) be legislation making them all (semi-automatic, fed by a detachable magazine, center fire) NFA weapons. Have a brief amnesty, and then probably like Machine Guns, there aren’t any new ones. There will probably still be transfers, just like there is now; all the hoops and $200 tax stamp.

Question though: if they do say turn them all in, what happens to the ARFs registered as SBRs?

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wow...

Lets just hope no politicians read the replies on this post...If they did we could kiss our ARs goodbye right now.

I don't want to kill anyone, who comes to take my guns. I was asking if pending legislation was heading towards confiscation.
Did any confiscations occur in California?

Also, i like the reply about having sold your ARs when they come for them...however wouldn't they just come in and search your house if you said that? - I know it's against the 4th amendment, but with the patriot act in place, the constitution is fucked.

Edited to add: blueshockey, where'd you get that shirt? I want one!
View Quote

If a politician reads this (and you can bet some do) one of two things will happen:

1) Knowing laugh, little shake of the head
2) Pucker factor increases by a factor of 3 followed by cowardly indignation.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wow...

Lets just hope no politicians read the replies on this post...If they did we could kiss our ARs goodbye right now...
View Quote

... Fuck that shit!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Look, forget what the lawmakers in Washington do. Their activities have been totally meaningless for years, if not forever.
They can NEVER collect all of them. Even if 80% just handed them over, there would still be millions to give them trouble. As soon as you let them have control over you-they do; they are control freaks like a lot of a-holes out there. Get over it an get on with your life.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top