Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2003 4:21:30 PM EDT
This (great) rifle has a curse on it.  I mean it.  Have you noticed that you could never talk about it at work?  You can't show any neighbors your new toy?  Yep.  I live in the suburbia of common America and people just don't understand how much fun it is to own one of these things.  "Why the hell would you want to own that thing?"  My brother thinks the rifle is for people who are destined for a psychotic episode.  I can understand his view.  I once thought the same thing after years of misinformation and bad publicity from the main stream media.  Things really are quite different.
Have you ever met someone that mentioned they are a firearm owner?  They dropped a hint that they go to "the range" once and a while?  Yep, suddenly he/she's a friend for life, you can talk all night about your hobby.  Why is this sport so secretive?  Why do some people who have no clue about the responsibility and ownership of a firearm have the majority opinion?  Relax!  It's just a rifle for god's sake.  I'm preaching to the quire, but I'm sure you have a story that sounds similar.  (Unless your from Texas)

Does anyone else feel like they own a secret?

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
actually i go out of my way to keep it a secret, too many noisy ppl. I talk to the ppl that are "like-minded" other wise i keep to myself.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep digital photos of my two "babies" as the screen background of my PC's desktop at work.  No complaints yet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
i know what you mean.

i blame the movies and the media. every time they show a ar-15 it is always used to spray down a group of good guys or bad guys. they never show it being used in a competition or hunting.

i try not to tell anybody about my guns because you know how people are. they find out that you have more than one gun and they think you are nuts, and if they find out what kind of gun it is then they think your going to shoot up the place

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I tell everyone!

I refuse to live the life of hiding in the closet and everyone else walks and talks about what ever they wish. I will and do make it OK to own guns with anyone I meet. If they do not like it then I do not want to know them.

I think alot of it is the fact that most people think if they tell anyone that someone my come and steal them or that they will be looked down upon. Me I just do not want to know you unless you are willing to take responsablity for your life and those around you. as to getting them stolen, any damn fool who wishes to die may come to my house and try to take them.

Just my .02 if you think that its not OK to own them or feel that you have to keep it a secret then you have already [b]lost your freedom![/b]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't keep my hobby a secret ; on ocassion I will talk about it at work ; but not too many people at my workplace are "into" black
rifles. [:D]

I work for local govt. , worse even , it's
the local "welfare" office [:p]

Of course , this may be the reason I haven't
been laid off yet . [BD]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a few I've heard;

"Holy shit"

"What the F, is that legal!?"

"Getting ready for WWIII or something?"

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
i never get tired of hearing this......

"is that thing auto?"
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Well last year for deer hunting I used my FAL and guys who saw it are like "What IS that thing?" I'd tell them and they go "OOOOH"  Then months later one of the guys asked "Are you hunting with that UZI again?"  Some people are just "unaware".
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I tell everyone as well.
I would read my gun magazines at work, and the next thing you know people are asking me questions on how they can own an AR-15. After they find out you just need a clean record, they would ask me to take them to the gun store. Every time someone shows interest, I take them shooting. I've got dozens of people hooked on the black rifles. Why hide it? Be proud!
Steve.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
i blame the movies and the media. every time they show a ar-15 it is always used to spray down a group of good guys or bad guys. they never show it being used in a competition or hunting.
View Quote

Do you really want to show soccer moms exploding prairie dogs?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you really want to show soccer moms exploding prairie dogs?
View Quote

Honestly?  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty well everyone at my "day job" knows what I do for entertainment and to finance personal projects.  Admittedly, I live in a "gun friendly" state and the area where I live and the folks with whom I work are definite "gun friendly" (we have a hard time scheduling folks when deer season starts, heck, my own boss will come in wearing his RealTree because he just came from stalking deer with his bow before work ...)

That said, some folks still ask questions, typically "Are those legal?"  Best thing to do is to educate them, or take them to the range.  

Funny thing, I cannot park "on property" when I have toys in the car.  But the statements that have been made show how folks feel about it: "If some bunch of [terrorists] ever attack this facility, hope they do it on the days you're parked across the street, they won't make it past the gate" and after a recent incident "So, have they awarded the site security contract to you yet?"

While they may not all be equally comfortable with the idea, they still like the thought that at least some of us are willing to defend ourselves and them as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My wallpaper is a 1919 with 50 cal grips, but I work with like minded hicks mostly. The people who don't understand have the biggest problem with the black powder cannons.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#14]
If like me people see you as a gun nut don't hide it flant it! you might as well dress the part.: [url]http://www.sogsales.com/[/url] = I wear mine to walmart,out to dinner,you anywhere I want to dress nice and mingle with liberals.

No.323 is what you need ( You Say PSYCHO Like It's a bad Thing )
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i never get tired of hearing this......

"is that thing auto?"
View Quote

I used to hear the same shit all the time at my former place of employment when I told them about my AR's. People were like "How can a civilian own one of those?"

I finally talked two co-workers into going to the shooting range with me one day. A month later one of them was a fellow AR owner and the other bought an SKS. Oh well, I can live with a 50% success rate. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#16]
i live in a decidedly unfriendly state(well at least downstate) and i have take=n about 30 people to the range with me so far. some love my ar but the first comment i always get "hol sh!#, is that full auto?"

it usually leads to a discussion but ive never had anyone refuse to be my friend afterward, i am reasonavbly stable(i think) and ive always liked guns much to the chagrin of other family members.

ive created 5 new shooters so far and exposed about 50 people to firearms. its a fun hobby and i cant see why people are so afraid of it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I pretty much flaunt it at work as well.  I've converted 2 with one becoming a certified gun nut.  He even got his C&R when he saw the stuff I was getting with mine (especially the prices) so I view it as a positive thing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#18]
This discussion illustrates one of the many reasons I chose to move to Texas once I got out of college.  I don't think I could stand to live in any of the liberal meccas (east coast and left coast).  

It's really rare to get even a mildly shocked reaction from someone when you talk about any type of firearm or shooting (including ARs).  Most of our discussions take place either inside the county courthouse where I work or at church.  Just about everyone here (a medium-sized city) has someone in their family who hunts and/or shoots.  Lots of people carry weapons (at least in their cars), some of us all of the time.

Thanks for reminding me how blessed I really am.  I'm teaching my teenage sons right so it will hopefully stay that way.  They both want a little black rifle of their own someday.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm pretty sure I've converted a few in my lifetime. Anybody wanting to shoot any of my rifles at the range is more than wellcome. I give'm a run down on the specifics and controls and let'm have at it. I've found out most people come away with a smile and say something like DAMN THAT THINGS PRETTY ACCURATE!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I received a call from a co-worker the other day.  Since I am the "gun guy", he wanted me to help him with a new pistol he had purchased.  After we adjusted the sights on his pistol and I gave him a few pointers, I broke out a couple of my toys.  He took one look at the suppressed Colt 9mm SBR and uttered the classic anti-gun line: "Why does anyone need something like that".  I loaded a magazine and told him to "let R' rip".  He turned to me with the biggest "shit eating grin" and said "I've got to have one of these", to which another friend of mine replied "Why would anyone need something like that".  We all had a good laugh, but the point, and a new convert to the black rifle, was made.  The key to making someone understand "us" is to let them see for themselves how much fun this hobby can be.  Never hesitate to introduce a shooter to one of your toys, it can make all the difference in the world.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Yea, Sarah Brady has probably never even shot or even held a black rifle!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Ever since I moved to Virginia I have been a "PROUD" gun owner.
Before that living in NYC and RI I was unfortunately seen as a 'peculiar' individual with a non traditional hobby.

Go home ya' DAMN YANKEES, and leave us be!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I tell everyone I meet, they can judge me later
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Funny story

My Forman and I were discussing what we were going to do over the weekend. I said That I am going to go shooting.

Well during the conversation, The type of firearms we own came up. As I get to telling him about my ARs the super intendant walks by. He says like a smart ass " what you in the militia?" So I say yeah every male over 18 is.

He goes off on how he new a wacko that packed Aks in grease and burlap to bury them, so when all guns were banded he would have one. So I say that is not the way to do it. You have to Grease them up, vacuum seal them put them in a PVC tube and bury them with barrel pointing straight up so they look like a coin to a metal detector.

He gave me the funniest look I had seen in a long time. Every day since he has asked me if I killed anyone today. And I say no but the day ain't over yet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Propaganda tends to push "undesireable" ideas underground. Welcome to the resistance!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:08:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Every day since he has asked me if I killed anyone today. And I say no but the day ain't over yet.
View Quote

You put up with that?
I could not handle someone blatantly insulting me just because of a legal hobby. IF my supervisor kept saying that shit I would threaten him with going to the EEOC and filing a harassment case.

Have you killed anyone today is something I don't think should be joked about in the workplace. Your boss sounds like  a narrow minded prick.

Just my 2¢
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This (great) rifle has a curse on it.  I mean it.  Have you noticed that you could never talk about it at work?  You can't show any neighbors your new toy?  Yep.  I live in the suburbia of common America and people just don't understand how much fun it is to own one of these things.  "Why the hell would you want to own that thing?"  My brother thinks the rifle is for people who are destined for a psychotic episode.  I can understand his view.  I once thought the same thing after years of misinformation and bad publicity from the main stream media.  Things really are quite different.
Have you ever met someone that mentioned they are a firearm owner?  They dropped a hint that they go to "the range" once and a while?  Yep, suddenly he/she's a friend for life, you can talk all night about your hobby.  Why is this sport so secretive?  Why do some people who have no clue about the responsibility and ownership of a firearm have the majority opinion?  Relax!  It's just a rifle for god's sake.  I'm preaching to the quire, but I'm sure you have a story that sounds similar.  (Unless your from Texas)

Does anyone else feel like they own a secret?

View Quote

HEY!!! I resemble that remark.

Take 'em out and let 'em shoot it. Suprising how many people change their tune when they get to play with it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#28]
this old guy that walks by my mothers house everyday stops in and talks to me if im there every once in awile. i was going deer hunting and was telling me about his gun collection and that he is pro gun. he asked me if i had a handgun license and i said yes. then he asked someday if he could see it. so i went to the car and pulled the glock out and showed him. it looked like he was going to faint :) he started stuttering you carry this? looks at my wife and says " will he shoot someone with this" . that pro gunner all of a sudden changed quick.
i just told him sit in on a pistol course. there are all kinds of people that go and get there license it will shock you, it shocked me so many women where there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
so i went to the car and pulled the glock out and showed him. it looked like he was going to faint :) he started stuttering you carry this? looks at my wife and says " will he shoot someone with this" . that pro gunner all of a sudden changed quick.
View Quote

I've got a co-worker like that.   Lived out in the country all his life, hunts deer every season.   You should've seen the look on his face when I told him that I had a Mini-30 and explanded that 7.62mm x 39 mm was the old Soviet caliber.  I thought he was going to swallow his tongue! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#30]
"Quoted: Every day since he has asked me if I killed anyone today. And I say no but the day ain't over yet."

"You put up with that? I could not handle someone blatantly insulting me just because of a legal hobby. IF my supervisor kept saying that shit I would threaten him with going to the EEOC and filing a harassment case."

"Have you killed anyone today is something I don't think should be joked about in the workplace. Your boss sounds like a narrow minded prick."

By all means, file a complaint.  Otherwise you stand to have entered into your employee file that "you talk about guns and killing people".  This can have serious repercussions on your future employment.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey I know how most if you feel. I work for a small office and they call me Rambo. There is one guy in my office that there is no reasoning with. To him anyone that owns any gun is a wacko. He says we are crazy people just ready to snap without warning. I tell him that I am not and then he asks why do you own any guns much less more than one. I tell him it is a fun sport and have offered to take him shooting with me. He is a bleeding heart liberal and will not even touch a gun. I just got fed up one day and told him I own a gun because the constitution grants me the right to do so. What a powder keg I set off. We argued for two hours on the Second Amendment.

Anyway I told him. If I ever was drafted I would be way ahead of the game by already being in shape and knowing how to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every day since he has asked me if I killed anyone today. And I say no but the day ain't over yet.
View Quote

You put up with that?
I could not handle someone blatantly insulting me just because of a legal hobby. IF my supervisor kept saying that shit I would threaten him with going to the EEOC and filing a harassment case.

Have you killed anyone today is something I don't think should be joked about in the workplace. Your boss sounds like  a narrow minded prick.

Just my 2¢
View Quote

He is not my boss. He is the superintendent of the construction job I am currently working on. He has no influence on my employment. And I do not believe it to be harassment. He says it in a joking way, and has never said guns should be ban. He however is a prick. But like most if you stand up to them they back down.

He is always giving my foreman sh!t about getting the job done, even though we are way ahead of schedule. My foreman went on vacation and I was left to get the job done on my own. One morning in front of a few other tradesman he made a remark about me getting something done, I quickly pointed out what was holding a particular project up and that it was his fault. He had to admit it was he holding me up not the other way around. He now talks to me privately, not in a group. And his demeanor has changed from superior to subordinate to me. It is quiet funny actually.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#33]
This subject is one I specifically have to deal with constantly.  I'm only 15 but recentley (had my father) purchase a Bushmaster shorty (saving that $900 w/o a job was hell).  If you think explaining firearm politics to an uninformed adult is hard try talking to one of my peers who's grown up in an extremely liberal and anti-gun household.  I personally have introduced at least ten peers to the world of guns.  I tell them if their parents arent open to letting them explore their interest to come visit me.  Start 'em young and give them proper ethics by all means.  I can't express how lucky I've been.  My father had me shooting his Yugo SKS at 8.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Move to East Texas.  You can own anythig you want, and when you talk about it people wont think you're a nutcase or postal or wierd.  They'll just wish they had one.

At least that's been my experinece with the Barrett.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There is one guy in my office that there is no reasoning with. To him anyone that owns any gun is a wacko. He says we are crazy people just ready to snap without warning. I tell him that I am not and then he asks why do you own any guns much less more than one. I tell him it is a fun sport and have offered to take him shooting with me. He is a bleeding heart liberal and will not even touch a gun.
View Quote

Send this to your buddy (anonymously):
[url]http://www.cruffler.com/Features/APR-02/legal-April-02.html[/url]

Once he realizes it's about him, he'll shut up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
 If you think explaining firearm politics to an uninformed adult is hard try talking to one of my peers who's grown up in an extremely liberal and anti-gun household.
View Quote

I have the added challenge of a liberal and anti-gun school system.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I am always amazed at how fast the naysayers change their attitude after dumping a 30 round "clip". The fact is, there are MANY folks out there who are curious about "Army Guns" but are afraid to admit it to others. As soon as I mention that I have an AR, many folks ask for an oportunity to shoot it.

Believe it or not folks WE ARE THE MAJORITY!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I would bet that 90% of the people who are ignorant about the shooting sports and hate and or are afraid of guns becuase "they kill people" would enjoy shooting if they tried it.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Okay I have to admit I was a tried and true AK fan..a couple of Maddi's (one pre) and I was good to go...but I went to an Instructor course for open sight rifle(AR15) sponsored by the State DPS for Law Enforcement firearms insturctors...I spent a week with this thing in the desert 8-10 hours a day/night and buddy buddy buddy..I am working on putting together my third AR for my wife...I think we really need an AR anony site...I need therepy on buying these black rifles..heah I am given a Colt A3 for duty...these things ROCK...aside from 1911 this is the most addictive thing I own.....good luck...
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#40]
We had quite the shooting group here at work but the numbers have slowly dwindeld because of different work schedules, people being transfered or quitting. And I get the usual comments from non-gun owners about being a "sniper" or a "gun nut". One plus point here is a fellow co-worker has his FFL and his own business on the side! He brings in his catalogs and magazines and leaves them in our break room. If I want a new toy I just go through him!

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Move to East Texas.  You can own anythig you want, and when you talk about it people wont think you're a nutcase or postal or wierd.  They'll just wish they had one.

At least that's been my experinece with the Barrett.
View Quote

My Grandpa retired to East Texas in the 70's. We would sit out in the back yard in the evening and shoot. The neighbors would walk over to drink a few beers and BS, never once even glancing at the guns laying on the table!

Ahhh....the good old days!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#42]
apparently I too am a psycho for owning a black rifle.
all my friends think different of me since I own one and the just found out about it.
however I chat with plenty of the local LE from the gym and they are now my friend even more since they love my rifle after seeing it at the range...Hell I let them shoot it.
One said it scares them to think that rifle is out there because it would outgun them in a firefight...hmmm 5.56 vs 12 Ga.
hell I even own 3 black pistols
does that make me 4x the pscycho.
Blame the media for that one
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#43]
It's nobody else's business of what I own or what I do----generally keep a low profile and have the knowledge that I'm prepared for most any event. More afraid of having them stolen than being looked down upon for owning them. Even though I have the big heavy safe and all.

That's also why there are no NRA or gun related stickers on the truck---either to have the local criminal follow you home or give the local gestopo a reason to stop and search---not that I'm doing anything illegal anyway.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Living in Texas I never thought I'd run in to any major issues at work.  

I mean some non-native Texans don't like the idea of taking a gun to work.  And I don't carry at work because of company policy.  Which is ironic since our security people once told us directly that if somebody came in with a gun and ill-intent that they (the security people) would be the first to run out the back leaving the rest of us to fend for ourselves.  

But last month we were issued a security bulletin stating 'warning signs for workplace violence'.  In the list of warning signs was 'Excessive talk about weapons.'

I thought... uh-oh

The whole thing is really kind of disturbing.  I mean I have always loved guns as a hobby and I keep a lot of firepower handy for self-defense, but I somehow get grouped by the 'Thought Police' as some kind of threat or murderer.

Being grouped with murderers is especially ironic for me since the part of the reason I have so many guns is cause in the last year I helped put 2 gangbanger murderers in prison and one on death row.

Fortunately, being in Texas I'm one of many firearms enthusiasts at work.  So I'm not alone in this.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#45]
keeping a secret? hell no, lol, everyone at my software company knows i own one, several firearms in fact, hell i even had a complete upper shipped to me at work [:D] most of them were like "cool, let me see that thing!" some of them were just kinda in a odd stare at me, but after the intial shock they even seemed interested after the usual, "why do u need that"
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#46]
The AR15 is not made for hunting or for competion although it does well in those roles. It was made to kill people and its very good at it. Thats not a bad thing. People have a right to protect themselves and guns are used for that role. The AR15 is excellent at that role.
PAT
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top