Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2003 3:48:16 PM EDT
I know that when you sell a gun to a fellow member you have to send it to a FFL and you need to get a copy of the FFL signed in ink. My question is do you have to  have a other FFL send it to the buyers or can you send it to there FFL your self?

Mt Hunter
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If i am selling a firearm to a non FFL holder, I would request that an FFL be sent to me (for legitamcy purposes) and then i would send the firearm to the FFL holder (gunshop). I would maybe, even get the phone number of the gunshop and make sure they know what is goin on, so it isnt a STRAW purchase or that sumthind wierd is goin on. ya gotta protect YOURSELF first, and make sure that ppl are being shaddy or asking wierd requests or things like that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
No you don't have to send the rifle from an FFL to another FFL. Now if your state has some kind of law covering this, then you would have to follow the state law.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, state laws may require you to do so.  i would check local and state laws just to make sure.  Also, some FFLs don't like to receive firearms from individuals due to local laws or liablility reasons.  Ask the buyer to make sure their FFL will take a package from you if your own state laws allow it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
cool i will check local laws I am from montana but a Kali inplant due to uncle sam.

If need be I will send out my gun from my home in montana when I go on vacation.

Thanks,

MtHunter
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no reason any FFL should provide you a non dealer with his FFL license copy. It is not required and not appropriate.

He can provide you with his FFL number and you can verify that it is valid from ATF's website.

Your rules in California probably vary.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
David, I think your wrong about that. If you were to give a gun to your FFL dealer to send to another FFL dealer they would require a signed copy of the license. My FFL dealer gave me a couple of signed copies when I told him I was going to use him to have a couple of guns shipped from out of state. Answering the original question you don't have to use a FFL dealer to send to an FFL dealer in most cases. I did find out that if you use a pawn shop as your FFL dealer they can't except a gun shipped from a non FFL dealer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
David, I think your wrong about that. If you were to give a gun to your FFL dealer to send to another FFL dealer they would require a signed copy of the license. My FFL dealer gave me a couple of signed copies when I told him I was going to use him to have a couple of guns shipped from out of state. Answering the original question you don't have to use a FFL dealer to send to an FFL dealer in most cases. I did find out that if you use a pawn shop as your FFL dealer they can't except a gun shipped from a non FFL dealer.
View Quote

Read what David said; "non-dealer" is the operative word. If you ship from dealer to dealer, both ends will get a copy of the other's FFL so that they can log the gun into their bound book.

Non-dealer to dealer; the ATF prefers that dealers not provide copies of their license to non-dealers. I just aks for the dealer's FFL# and run it on the ATF EZcheck site [url]http://199.196.145.75/FFLeZCheck[/url] and ship only to the address provided by that site.

As far as a pawn shop (presuming they are an actual 01 FFL) not being able to receive a firearm from a non-licensee, that's just BS, or the pawn shop's attempt to claim that their internal policy is actually law. Another FFL who doesn't know his own business regs.

All sorts of answers to these questions can be found on the ATF FAQ site.

[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/[/url]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top