Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2003 1:06:06 PM EDT
Well I'm just about to buy a ciener 22lr conversion for my PCR 16 (1:9 twist) and was wondering if any of you guys have experience shoting the kit threw a regular ar barel and know what to expect as far as acuracy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I never got any real accuracy out of my 1 in 9 until I went with the proper Agulia SSS ammo. Its designed for the 1 in 9. the typical .22 ammo is designed for 1 in 16, although if you have a 1 in 12 AR barrel it works pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, thanks for the info man. Next time I get something I need to look into it alot more befor I buy. Anyways, thats good to know. I got the impresion yesterday that for good acuracy you would need a .22 upper with a 1:16 twist in it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually get "soda can at a 100 yds" with mine....I have a Essential Arms J-15 with a Colt 1/7 20" HBAR with A2 sights...I've also replaced the front sight with a NM one. When I was in college my roomate (a very good shot btw) could consistantly hit foamy type ear plugs at 75 feet with my 11.5" SBR with "normal" A2 sights....so basically put in the time, you'll get good results.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The Aguilla SSS rounds will not function reliably in my Ciener. Those little cases get stuck in the receiver.

The Ciener will give you adaquate accuracy in a regular AR barrel. It should be good enough for short range practice.

I stick with the plated high velocity bullets in mine and it works pretty well.

Your Ciener will probably need a good polishing and deburring. Mine was a functional nightmare until I cleaned it up.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Your Ciener will probably need a good polishing and deburring. Mine was a functional nightmare until I cleaned it up.
View Quote

Please tell us how and where to polish and debur our Cieners!
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Something I rarely see anyone mention about .22's and twist rates is that the faster the twist the more the bullet is deformed when fired. In The Black Rifle they have pictures of .22 bullets that were fired in I believe either a 1/7 or a 1/9 that looked bad. What this means is serious barrel leading, I believe this is the reason why the govt no longer uses conversions.  For a .22 conversion I would pick a M16A1 style 1/12 which is closer to a .22's 1/16 and dedicate it for .22.

Mack
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I polished the feed ramp (wasn't necessary), the slide rails and the rail grooves in the bolt.

I used my Dremel with a soft polishing wheel and some white polishing compound that came in a Black and Decker polishing kit that was made for their version of the Dremel.

Prior to doing this the Ciener would jam constantly. I also had a few instances where a round would fire out of battery and rupture the case. Reliability is probably 97% with ammo that it likes and there are no more ruptured cases.

I stick with plated bullets like Remington's Golden Bullet and have experienced no fouling problems.

A dedicated upper would be much better but as it is the Ciener works well enough for my purposes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top