Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2003 8:51:18 AM EDT
i'm from south dakota and this spring i put the new stainless barreled bushmaster varmitter upper on my preban colt and man did it shoot sweet.  It is one dog shooting gun.  I use a Hassis bipod with a Tasco 3x9x50 scope that has just failed me.  The cross hairs have moved in a clockwise direction about 30 degrees to the gun.  It's junk.  It has a Frank White trigger in it but will soon be changed to a Jewel.  It won't replace my bolt guns but it will be getting more than it's share of useage from now on.........we have our share and then some of those pesky dogs.....happy shooting guys
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#1]
AR15s make the ideal varmint rifle in my opinion, atleast for high volume shooting where you're out popping prarrie dogs or squirrels.

The assets to using the AR15 are numerous to a bolt action.    Ease of loading, ease of reloading(such as a 20-30 round mag for AR15 as opposed to having to reload after every 5th shot with bolt action), rediculously low recoil being able to spot your hits, faster follow up shots with the AR15 in event of miss or need to change targets quickly, and in  most cases an accurized AR15 isn't giving up much if anything to a factory bolt action in terms of accuracy.

Only downside in my opinion is the AR15s can quickly take off in terms of price leaving the bolt guns behind plus the AR15s can get HEAVY.    My accurized AR15 built soley for varminting weighs in at 15 pounds unloaded but I love that rifle dearly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had my Colt for about 3yrs now and I take it with me every time I go hunting. I have never had a complaint with that rifle.
Arguably the best all around ranch rifle ever made.
It can get a bit weighty after a 10 mile stalk, but it more than makes up for it when you need it. I popped up on a herd of hogs this past winter and took down 7. Only had to trail one and that was my bad shot. (My dumbass got in front of the spotlight)  

The more use it, the fonder of it you'll get.
[soapbox]

(Leaving again this Monday for a 2 day trip out in W. Texas [beer])
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Orddy,

You will quickly find that your AR will be the best platform for varmint hunting.  I have two and love them.  Both shoot 1/2 MOA all day long with various bullet weights.  I do; however, wonder why you would switch out a Frank White trigger with a Jewel?  Frank does a great upgrade on the AR trigger and turns it into a great two stage.  I wouldn't recommend replacing it with another two stage, especially if you plan to hunt coyotes and foxes.  You might want to consider a JP trigger.  Best of luck.

Blake
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an Olympic Arms Varmint AR that I built up and love. It has a 24" S/S barrel and a BSA 4-16X50 scope. It shoots 3/8 groups at 100 yards. I love to hit them dogs way out there at 500 yards. [xx(] But I have to admit I missed one the other day at 10 yards, ughhhh! [V]

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=53952&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/053952.jpg[/img][/url]

Happy hunting! [8D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top