Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2003 8:44:24 PM EDT
I just quit my job today, and hope to land a new one on monday working for the college I will be attending.

Money is tight, and college is expensive.

Help me with this question: Should I build another AR15, or save the money and wait for the sunset to liven up my current rig? I wont be able to keep up my current reckless gun spending untill college is over, or I get a raise. (yea right)

The current rig needs a vltor stock, supressor, upper with the sopmod bolt assy, and a spare parts kit. If I buy... for example, just the stock (not for installation untill sunset) would it be illegal, ie constructive possesion to have this item in my home uninstalled on my rifle? I ask this because their will be one hell of a rush to obtain vltor stocks by everyone and anyone when (if?) the ban sunsets.
I recall a case where a man had a pre-ban upper and a post ban rifle. He was charged with violation of the assault weapons ban based on constructive possesion... Well if thats the case cant we all be charged with that if we own a preban and a post ban rifle? Anywho, onwards...

Do you guys think that the situation may escalate to the point where the black rifle would be made illegal anytime in the next 4 years? If so I would get another rifle, if not, I will be upgrading mine to godly status after the sunset.

Thanks for your time.
Oh yea, im gonna be a male nurse. (god willing)
What better? Work with tons of ladies, go to classes with tons of ladies...
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If I buy... for example, just the stock (not for installation untill sunset) would it be illegal, ie constructive possesion to have this item in my home uninstalled on my rifle? ...I recall a case where a man had a pre-ban upper and a post ban rifle. He was charged with violation of the assault weapons ban based on constructive possesion...
View Quote

Makes for an interesting story but there is no such thing as constructive intent with the AWB.

Quoted:

The current rig needs a vltor stock, supressor, upper with the sopmod bolt assy, and a spare parts kit.
View Quote

We all have financial choices to make. Maybe you should define the term "need" as it applies to your situation. My suggestion is that you can use the money for school to get an education now and buy accessories at a time when you can use and afford them. I'm sure everyone else will just say buy gun stuff now so I thought someone should be sensible.

Quoted:
I just quit my job today, and hope to land a new one on monday working for the college I will be attending.
View Quote

Maybe you can better answer this question after seeing how things go on Monday. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The current rig [red]needs[/red] a vltor stock, supressor, upper with the sopmod bolt assy, and a spare parts kit. If I buy...

Do you guys think that the situation may escalate to the point where the black rifle would be made illegal anytime in the next 4 years?

View Quote

Look at the bigger picture dude. I am a recent graduate from college. Finish school, that should be the #1 Priority. You already have the rifle, it's not like you have to have those things and you will more or less always be able to purchase the extra gadgets. If you dont finish school, it makes it alot harder to purchase whatever you want....

School is about sacrifice but the reward is definitely worth it.

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't buy a rifle, since you already have a shooter.  Buy a couple of stripped lowers and finish them out when your finances will allow you to.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Education first and foremost, always.  Get the education, get the good job, the guns will follow.  Probably not what you wanted to hear, but sometimes you have to get your priorities straight and delay gratification of current wants in order to fulfill current needs.  At this time in your life, you don't need more guns; you NEED an education, which, as you know full well, does not come cheap.  Take it from someone who has been there, done that, and has a son in college, nothing will make your family think you are a total space cadet than for you to run out and spend money on a toy when serious expenses need to be met first.  It is really hard for a parent to fork over spending money in March when school funds are starting to run low when in October (or whatever month) you spent a butt-load of money on a toy, be it a firearm, DVD burner, insert toy of choice.  If you are paying your own way through college, I find it hard to believe you are asking which you should spend your money on, you should already know, unless you thought here you would find a bunch of internet gun junkies that think one more gun is all that matters.  I'm not trying to be hard on you, but when it comes to questions such as which should I spend my money on, a new gun or an education, the answer to me is so obvious as to be laughable.  You have the rest of your life to get toys.  Don’t wind up some bitter old man working in a menial job for the rest of your life because you couldn’t meet college expenses and had to leave college “for a year or two to make some money” only to never go back.  I know too many people who have that story to tell.
  Like my son always accuses me of doing, I will quit preaching now.  Use you head, you know what you should do.    
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#5]
No no no...

I have enough for the college and a little extra for a *small* amount of rifle stuff over the 4 years.

What kinda rifle stuff should it be?

Upgrades or new rifle?

Im sad because I cant spend my $$ on tons of new stuff like I used too... obviously b/c of college. I will put college first, i think you all misread what I was writing... but my favorite hobby in the world is gonna be MIA for a while.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I would use the "small amount" to buy accesories.  I found that when I had only a few firearms, I seemed to enjoy shooting them more since there wasn't that agonizing choice to be made on what to take shooting every time I went out.  One rifle and one hangun is all you really need right now, spend the rest on ammo and accesories.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top