Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2003 4:25:56 AM EDT
Came across a pre-ban Colt 7.62 x 39. collapsable stock, bi pod, five magazines, and some type of all weather Norinco scope. I don't know much about Colt rifles, but the asking price for the package is 1200.00. Low for a preban, I thought.

I've read some not so flattering reviews of the 7.62x39 Colts and am unsure if it is something I want to get involved with. At this price I thought about jsut dumping the upper and getting something else, or maybe giving the gun to my father as an xmas gift.

I've never been real clear on the Colt large/small hole thing and have avoided them in general. But if there is a chance to part this think out and get my self a cheap preban lower in the process, I'd be up for that too.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a steal at that price.  I have one and I have absolutely no issues with it.  It runs like a champ on USA 30rd Frankenmags.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It is a steal at that price.  I have one and I have absolutely no issues with it.  It runs like a champ on USA 30rd Frankenmags.
View Quote

I say the same.
GG
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys. i had a pretty hectic day at work, but was still able to get some research time in. looks to be an interesting rifle, and it seems to also have some collector appeal from what i can tell from around the web. i checked the ee here and it seems as if the 1200 is an excellent price - enough so that it seems as if i would be almost certain to get all of my money out of it even if i decided to unload it quirckly. usually, that is the deciding factor for my purchases.

will advise update. and also would appreciate some tips from you guys if i run into any difficulties. owner says it has alway been reliable of him. my impression is that this was more of a safe gun though, not a heavy shooter. we'll see.

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two of them now and second or third what Raptor said. I got into them by stumbling on a fantastic deal myself, assuming I turn around and resell it or part it out, but I found I enjoyed it so much that I wound up putting a second one together from parts as I came across them at good deals. Search these forums for "7.62x39" and you'll find a wealth of information on the 7.62x39 AR15.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]
well. so much for the great deal. at least the guy was only a few miles across town. as it is, it was complete colt 7.62x39 [b]upper[/b] on an [b]essential arms[/b] lower. the owner didn't even realize that the gun wasn't all colt. i decided to fill him in on the details, but did not get into the legal questions of essential arms. (he had bought it from a dealer in town with a less then steller reputation.)

the 1200.00 is what he paid for the rifle orignally, before adding the norinco 9x40 scope, and no name bi-pod. deal also would have included about 500 rounds of wolf ammo and five or so used 5.56 usgi mags. he just wanted to get his money out of it, but i couldn't see that i had any use for this and chose not to make a lowball offer.

now i'm left pondering my feelings and wondering if i said too much or too little. the thought that the dealer shouldnt have sold him the rifle without paperwork is bothering me, but maybe that is expecting too much. either way, i'm glad i took a look at it. learned a lot about colts in the process and got to think about some ethical issues too. not bad for a friday night. ...before heading out for a few beers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top