Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2003 7:13:19 AM EDT
I bought a Bushmaster M4 look-a-like a while back and while I liked it quite a bit, I couldn't stand the Mini-Y comp.  So I decided to change it out before I went deaf, and ended up replacing it with a Bushmaster 16" superlight barrel.  I haven't had a chance to fire it yet as I just installed it last night, but it does handle nicely.  I forgot to weigh it before I installed it, but the superlight barrel, upper, and handguards (no carry handle, bolt/carrier, or charging handle) came in at 2LB 4.8oz

Many thanks to KY-Bob for allowing me to use his tools and talking me through the install.

My AR with the 16" Superlight barrel.

Comparison of the two barrels.

Another view.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]
How hard was it to install the new barrel? Did it take long, and what kind of tools were needed?
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm with you on the lighter profile barrels, I just like the way they handle better than the HBars.

I don't know if you're looking to put another comp on there, but if you do I'd look into  Kurts Kustom... he does a great job and has a really nice brake that looks like a birdcage flash suppressor.

Here's a pic of my lightweight with the KKF comp:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=1536[/img]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Good choice, it looks very nice, you won't regret it. I love my superlight.

I don't mind the plain muzzle either.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice.  Want to sell your M4 profile barrel?
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Well done, Wildcat...you've just answered a VERY important question for me..I'm trying to build a lightweight gun, and I needed to know the weight of the light barrel.  Thanks!  Nice rifle, BTW.

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How hard was it to install the new barrel? Did it take long, and what kind of tools were needed?
View Quote

It was easier than I had anticipated, and took around 30-45 min, I didn't really keep track of the time.

You'll need a hammer/mallet and a punch to drive the gas tube pin it/out, an amorer's wrench for the barrel nut, a pair of snap ring pliers for the delta ring assembly, and a action clamp to hold the upper reciever in a vise.  When trying to remove the handguards an extra pair of hands would help too. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very nice.  Want to sell your M4 profile barrel?
View Quote

Nah, I think I'm going to keep it.  Eventually I'll get the Mini-Y replaced with something less obnoxious, and use the barrel for a new project AR.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks very nice; but I wonder how or what does it look  on a side by side comparison with the HBAR (with no handguards), how durable is and how many rounds before it gets too hot. I guess it is not intended for long shooting sessions.

I have a CAV15 lower that I want to build into a super light rifle, and will be looking into this barrel.

BR
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks very nice; but I wonder how or what does it look  on a side by side comparison with the HBAR (with no handguards), how durable is and how many rounds before it gets too hot. I guess it is not intended for long shooting sessions.
View Quote

The military only used that contour for what, 15, 20 years?  Including VietNam.  [rolleyes]  Even now they are using the contour he replaced which isn't that much heavier.  

As for durability, that's what 4150 steel and hard chromed barrel and chamber are for.

I've been using a Colt 16" lightweight barrel for several years now and have never had any problems even after bump firing a couple of mags at a time through it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top