Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2003 9:32:31 AM EDT
I have what I think is a DPMS kit upper on my Eagle Arms preban and it looks like who ever assembled the rifle before I owned it did a job when he was torquing down the barrel.

I can place one hand on the upper and the other on the barrel and twist left and right and there is the tiniest amount of play. It doesn't effect the accuracy at all but I was wondering if I should worry about this?

I really don't have the funds to correct it, and I plan on just buying a new upper if/when I sell my dirtbike, so does it sound like a safety hazard?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, it sounds like the barrel didn't get tightened enough during assembly. But as long as the headspace is correct then you'll be okay, and the gus tube will prevent the barrel nut from moving further.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of dirt bike are you selling?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Is your hand on the barrel or on the handguards?

Handguards shifting is no problem and is normal.

Barrel shifting is NOT normal and will effect accuracy (especially if you are using iron sights).

If it is the barrel IS loose then you need to get it tightened.  I'd bet a local ARFcomer would do it for free.  If you in MD I'd say come by my place and we could fix it in no time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all of the replies, I think that is what is stopping the barrel nut from moving more, the gas tube. I've never had any problems with this upper so I think I'm not going to worry about it until I can link up with some ARFCOMers with the knowledge and tools to take care of it.

Thanks for the offer Forest, if I lived in MD I'd definitely take you up on it.

The dirt bike I'm selling is a 1979 Suzuki PE175, it's a 2 stroke bike. In running condition. The clutch cable needs a little stop on the end. Other then that the bike is great. These are bulletproof bikes which you'll see if you do any kind of research. The plastic on this bike looks nice and has a brand new fender on the back. Comes with a Vega helmet that is almost new condition, and  a set of Oakley goggles (scratch free). Oh did I mention it also comes with an almost complete second parts bike that is simply disassembled. All of this for a mere 500 dollars [;)]

If you're in Ohio we may be able to arrange something for delivery as well.

Come on it's going towards a new upper [:D]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is your hand on the barrel or on the handguards?

Handguards shifting is no problem and is normal.

Barrel shifting is NOT normal and will effect accuracy (especially if you are using iron sights).

If it is the barrel IS loose then you need to get it tightened.  I'd bet a local ARFcomer would do it for free.  If you in MD I'd say come by my place and we could fix it in no time.
View Quote

My hand is on the carrying handle and the other is one the barrel.

It's he barrel moving the tiniest bit.

Once again thanks to all of the replies, sorry about the "Sales ad" [;)]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top