Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2003 7:21:17 AM EDT
What is the difference between milspec and non-milspec buffer tubes on an AR15?  

Is there anyway to tell the two apart?

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:53:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of non-milspec buffer tubes.  Where did you hear that?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#2]
BTW, welcome to the board.  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you!

Good question though.  

The reason I ask is because I've been to several websites that sell AR15 stocks and they always list "milspec" as one of its characteristics.  So I just starting wondering, "is there a NON-milspec" out there?

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Not that I've ever seen.  So far I've used Bushmaster, Colt and Rock River Arms tubes and can't tell the difference.

Not to hi-jack your thread, but are you planning a build or changing a stock or what?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I would like to try out one of those new VLTOR Modstocks...but I read that will not fit on all buffer tubes.  Problem is, I don't know what kind I have.  It's one of those "no-name" brands.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not familiar with that particular stock.  But, here's a link to it.

[url]http://www.vltor.com/home.htm[/url]

This the one?

From that page it says::
"Unlike any other stocks available the Rifle Modstock fits both the [b]standard AR-15/M16A2 rifle receiver extension[/b] and the CAR-15/M4 carbine collapsible-stock receiver extension."

The "receiver extension" is the buffer tube.  So, this stock should work fine with your no-name tube.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Super!

Thank you very much for all of your help and input!

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I stand (well, I'm sitting, but you get the idea) corrected (well, maybe).

Here's a link to a thread about these stocks.  I didn't read it all, but there is a part that talks about difficulty installing the collapsible stock and they had to use a Colt tube.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=153526&w=searchPop[/url]

Hope this helps.

Mark
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmm,

Well that's a little disconcerting.  
I guess it's back to my original question then...
How can one tell apart a "Colt/milspec" buffer tube from one that is not?

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Heck, at least I bumped your thread?  [:D]

After reading that link I provided, it talks about the 6-position stocks from BM and RRA as being the out of mil-spec ones.  If you're using a 6-pos BM or RRA stock, it sounds like it won't work.  All others sound like they work.  You might want to call the company and ask them.  

Let me know what you find out.  The stock looks really neat.  Thanks for helping educate me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#11]
No sir, thank YOU.

I've already spoken with one of the vendors on these boards (CoalCreek I believe).  If I purchase one and it doesn't fit, I may return it.  

I'll keep you informed...
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hmm,

Well that's a little disconcerting.  
I guess it's back to my original question then...
How can one tell apart a "Colt/milspec" buffer tube from one that is not?

View Quote

The real difference between MilSpec and non-MilSpec carbine/collapsible receiver extensions is the diameter of the tube. Non-MilSpec tubes are wider in diameter then MilSpec tubes. The non-MilSpec measure 1.170-inches and the MilSpec measures 1.150-inches. The Vltor carbine stock will fit only the MilSpec tubes.

Rifle length buffer tubes are a complete different topic. There is no difference between the different rifle buffer tubes, other then quality.

According to Vltor dealers, Vltor is coming out with a Carbine tube of their own. I wrote Vltor an email to Vltor yesterday and requested the status of their tubes. According to Eric (general manager of Vltor) the new tubes will be available within a week. Plus the tubes will be flat black in color and offer 5-locking positions. Retail price should be $43. I've already per-ordered one. I'll let you know how the look when I get it.

ls
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top