Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2003 7:56:45 AM EDT
Gents,

I have a confession, I am addicted to ARs.  To date I have owned 14 AR15's.  I have sold some and kept some.  I even went to the AKs, SKS, Shotgun mode, Assault Pistol, Bolt Guns, and the M1A and I still look for more AR15s to buy.

I have also got some of my buddies into shooting as well.  But at the cost of me selling some of my ARs to friends.  But it is a small sacrafice to make to make the shooting community grow.

In fact I just sold my preban oly to my buddy, but luckily I have found a replacement.

Has anyone else done the same?

Max
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi, my name is XenaduKhan, and I am an AR15 addict.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
maxwell27
       I haven't owned 14 AR's but I'll tell you the two I have make me get morning wood in the afternoon, they give me a steel blue veined diamond cutter , all a man really needs is a good dog and an AR15 , and if anyone tells my wife I said - hey its' on ...ha ha
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Gents,

It's pretty sad when I go into our PX and the first thing I check is the guncounter to see if there are any guns worth buying.  I even do that at Walmart.

My weeks have me cruising through the local pawnshops looking for preban ARs.

....... I need a new hobby.  Maybe start with a magazine collection?

[marines]
[sniper2]

max
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, but what about the even more sinister side of this disease.  AMMO!!  They're like kids, it's one thing to have them, but feeding them is another whole issue!!

Everytime I find a good deal on some ammo, I just can't help myself..I've lost the ability to just NO to more ammo.. GOD HELP ME!!

[>(]

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah they might be like kids , but we feed these when we want , not when they tell us !
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah they might be like kids , but we feed these when we want , not when they tell us !
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Ammo... hmmmmmmmm.....  Very interesting.  How would one keep a large stash of ammo fresh?  I mean do you use a safe or something.  I know about the ammo can bit, but how to keep it out of childrens hands and stuff any ideas.

Also what other good places are there to buy bulk ammo?  I know about ammoman and JG Sales.  Where do  you guys get your stuff?

What also constitutes "alot" of rounds?

You guys are a bad influence.  But I am glad I am here.

[marines]

max
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm worse not only do I love black ARs but AKs and now black CETME.  Whooops, do have one AR with green furniture. I know I'll burn for that.

Tj
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Maxwell27
     I keep a stash of 500 rounds which I dont allow it to get any less than that and I rotate the boxes since I only use Black Hills moly-coated hp's and fmj , I figure 500 rounds is enough to make a guy look like a psycho on the news which -please GOD never let me be on for any reason at any time, but in the event of SHTF I will wish to GOD I had several thousand rounds , I get BH straight from the factory it was initially a case I split with a friend-and have bought a couple boxes here and there. If your looking for bulk and 'your girl will eat anything' try a gun show those guys give it away there or so it seems.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I keep 1200 rounds on hand and rotate that # usually wolf or south african wich is 20 years old already,the wolf will probaly last 50 years,and the new stuff there is no sealant on the case neck where it meets the bullet,I guess this was the source for the laquer problem with some rifles so wolf dosent do it any more,my gear holds 20 mags +1 in the carbine so 600 rounds to load and then a reload so I never go below 1200.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Where do you guys get your ammo?

max
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I make mine, custom jobbers made specifically for MY AR, it's another disease just like the black rifle one.

Before I reloaded, I always waited on a sale from wholesalehunter.com.

I'm thinking they are getting out of the sale ammo game, I think they had too much trouble last time making promises they couldnt keep and pissin off their customers. It was always 'tomorrow' or 'whenever Winchester sends it'

That got old FAST!

It is actually about time for them to have a sale, it's been a long time. If they do you'll see it on the board. My suggestion is if you have less than 2000 rounds on hand and you see a case (Q3131A) for less than $170, get it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where do you guys get your ammo?

max
View Quote

If you can count your ammo, you don't have enough!  An AR can spit it out fast.

I get mine from Ammoman.com delivered to my door or whoever has bulk ammo on sale say at gunshows etc.  Show before last a dealor had M193 for $160 a case.

Tj
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys.  I am going to try ammoman.  I have heard a lot of good things about him.

In regards to reloads, what do I need?  I shoot 9mm, 45, 308 and .223.

What kind of press do I need?

What kind of powder?

I have no idea about this stuff.

Thanks again

Max

[marines]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I only reload .223 right now and this is what I have.
Dillon 550B press...their cust serv is beyond reproach, GREAT people. Used for $300+/-

Dies - one for EACH caliber, 40 bucks each +/-

Powder - Rifle and handgun powders ARE different. 15 bucks for 7000 grains or 1 lb.

Bullets- cheap $5.00 for 100

Primers - cheap $20.00 for 1000
Flip tray - another must have accessory $5

Gauges & Calipers to check sizes $30+/-

Case Trimmer - I never use it $160

Lube - so your cases wont get stuck in the dies, much more important than most beginners to reloading expect.

Impact bullet puller - to unload your mistakes. $10.00

Scales - to check powder charge occasionally

Case vibrator to clean your brass $50

Time & patience

That's about it. It seems like  mucho dinero but it is a great hobby. after your first few thousand you'll start saving $$ and have custom ammo to use in your firearms. Something else I like is that you can experiment with different bullets without having to shell out big $$. I just got several hunderd tracer bullets that I loaded up last night for almost nothing, those cost a BUNCH if you buy them loaded. You should realize a 10 cents per load after everything is paid for, that beats 17-20 cents I have been seeing around... that's half price ammo AND you can make your money back selling ammo to your friends! btw, I don't know the legalities on that, check it out if you think about doing that.

Check out the Reloading Forum under General Forum and you can post specific questions. You'll find the majority of folks use or suggest the Dillon 550B. www.dillonprecision.com

Feel free to IM me for more info or suggestions if you'd like.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top