Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2003 11:26:16 PM EDT

I find the standard A2 stock ok but I'd like to try something shorter, however, the fixed shorty buttstock offered that is said to be "just long enough to keep your rifle legal" is a little on the short side.  I could probably make either work but I'd like to really get a nice fine tuned fit...that said...I'm confused about the AWB....I understand that the stock can not be to short however, can it also have no adjustment to it?  What is stopping a company from offering a adjustable stock what does not dip below the miniumum allowable length?  Why no CAR-15 style adjustable stock that would keep your rifle length legal?

Any explanation on the AWB ban and a way to fine tune a buttstocks fit would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The stock can be any length you want it to be as long as the total length of the rifle is 26" or greater, with a barrel 16" or greater. On an AR the buffer tube would be the limiting factor. However, if the rifle is a post-ban (manufactured after Sept 1994) then the stock cannot be adjustable/collaspible unless you are willing to get rid of another one of the "evil" features listed below. As I recall the AWB says that you can have only TWO of the following on a post-ban rifle: Pistol Grip, Detachable magazine, Bayo Lug, Flash Suppressor, or Collaspible Stock.

So what it boils down to on a normal post-ban rifle, is you would have to either get rid of the pistol grip or the detachable mags in order to install a collasible stock. So, lets say you found a way to get rid of the pistol grip and still have a functional rifle.  Then I believe you could add a collaspible stock.  However, the total length of the rifle with stock extended would still have to be 26."

There are two laws that govern this, the 1994 AWB with says you can only have two "evil" features and the 1934 NFA with dictates  rifle and barrel length, among other things.

Something you may wish to consider: Leave it alone until we know what will happen with the AWB.  If it sunsets then you can go ahead and add a collaspible stock, but the length rules will still apply.

Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't direct you to it(maybe someone else can), but try adding those 1-inch spacers between your lower and the shorty buttstock.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll bet you'll find an idea or two here: [url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/stocks.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Not meaning to hijack the thread here, but I am a little confused.  Can you not have a post-ban rifle with a fixed stock and an adjustable buttplate?  If you can, would a fixed "entry length\shorty" stock with an adjustable buttplate not be legal as well?

I am not sure of the exact wording of the 1994 law, but a fixed stock with an adjustable buttplate and a collapsable stock are not the same thing from a sane rational (i.e. non-governmental) viewpoint.

James
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top