Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2003 7:03:27 AM EDT
I guess I have had problems After removing it to install the Gemtech sup then going back to the FH. I couldnt get it indexed properly.....That was a problem because the A2 made my POI go way off because It wasnt indexed.

I will be goin to the A1 FH for that reason.....

Any of you have that problem?
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Use a crush washer.  You'll be able to index the FH properly.  I have to say I don't understand why the FH would change the POI.

HTH
Max.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#2]
If you screw it on too tight it will deform the barrel a little bit I would think.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I am surprised you all havent run it o the problem because the A2 has a closed 1/2 or the fh. at longer distances it will drastically change the POI Thats why using a supressor will change POI and in most cases increase its accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Ditto on the crush washer.

If you overtorque the A2 or any FH this will negatively effect accuracy. I don't know about POI, but I know from experience that accuracy is effected.

A crush washer will allow you to index properly and torque to spec.

I think any uniform FH, A1, vortex, phantom will cause fewer of these issues, I have heard of other issues with the A2 as well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I think your sup will alter accuracy more than your FH will, but how much of a long distance shot are you going to take with a sup anyway?
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Putting anything on the end of the barrel will affect POI:
http://guns.connect.fi/rs/impact.html

Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
No problems here.

Stay within torque specs and have an assortment of crush and peel washers handy for indexing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
How does the crush washer work.  You just crank that muther on until your FH is at TDC???
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How does the crush washer work.  You just crank that muther on until your FH is at TDC???
View Quote

Yep.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]
The silencer changes the Point of Impact because it is like adding a 2 lb weight to the end of the tuning fork.

You are not a good enough shot to tell the difference in indexing of an A2 flash hider.

I don't believe your story at all.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#11]
The way I indexed my A2 Flash Hider was to use a peel washer, and I peeled away one layer at a time unitl it indexed right to TDC. I guess a crush washer is something new. AMOS
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree, the index of the A2's slots should not affect POI, but swapping flashiders has always changed my POI, but not by much.  I guess I just like an excuse to re-zero. :)

Looking at the data from my cite, it shouldn't be a large POI shift.  1ar4me: how large is it for you?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#13]
David Hineline....Maybe the problem is that your not good enough to "sell the difference" Nice spelling!

Now STFU!

Who are you anyways...what background do you have in AR's or my personal shooting ability to make a dumb ass statement like that?

Sheesh go take your prozac and abuse somebody else today Mr Hineline

My POI diff. is about 4+ inchs at 400 yards aprox....

We have a shooting lease here that has old compressed air tanks as markers down range...which is about 400-500 yards

Given the tank is about 10 inchs wide, I can,  on a very regular basis gong the cylinders at will with Iron sights.....After changing the the Sup. out and not indexing the A2 I couldnt hit the cylinders at all.....until I moved my sight accordingly..Well after that after adjusting the FH I was back at ground Zero...
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#14]
If you are shooting 10" targets at 400-500 yards "at will", you are better than 99.99% of the people on this board.

From your post I take it you are also shooting that target & distance with your Gemtech Sup as well as without it?

Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Nope cant shoot that accurate with the Gemtech at all thats why I was asking to begin with about POI and FH not being indexed.. M4 will reach out and ping the cylinder nearly each and every trigger pull. bench shooting mind you...standing up and free shooting I am not that accurate.

It didnt even seem like I was getting even close to my target with the Gemtech on....as a matter of fact I noticed a drastic reduction in 100-200 yard accuracy....with the Gemtech. maybe not accuracy because Gemteck states that suppressors will make bullets a little more stable.

I am not better than 99.9 percent of the shooters on this site.......

I doubt that many of these shooters have a chance to do much past 200 yards with an AR.....

An if it true then 99.9 percent of these shooter suck or dont take the time to shoot anything past 100 yards.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#16]

I got my information direct from Mel Gibson and he says only 10 shooters in the world can make that shot and you are not one of them.

Also Gemtec does not reccomend Boat Tail bullets because thier baffle design induces yaw and can cause baffle or end cap strikes.

Please let us know what ammo you purchase or your handloads so we can shoot less than 1moa groups also.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
q3131A..

Come to gunstock in Waco let me educate you, or again STFU.

Have a Nice day [:)]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#18]
No, I would have to say that hitting 10" targets with the shorter sight radius of the M4 at 400 or 500 yards is good shooting.  I would again say it is beyond what most shooters are capable of, aside from fishing stories.  

I was wondering how you were doing that with the Gemtech, it didn't sound right, and it wasn't.

I'm sure there are a few people who will be at Gunstock would like like to watch, and would be willing to post.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Frankly, I'd just go with a G-6 Vortex.  No indexing, no washers, just 10 lbs of torque and you're done.  Remember: the design is self-tightening.  Also as far as accuracy goes, in a recent test I read on the system conducted at JRTC, a number of M-24 clones were tested with the Vortex and the accuracy actually improved.  Same goes for recent test at APG on the M-249. In earlier testing they incorrectly installed them with washers with dreadful results. I have three of the systems: G-6, M-14 and a .300 RUM Rem-700 -- all superior by every measure over OEM unit/bare barrel.    
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Frankly, I'd just go with a G-6 Vortex.  No indexing, no washers, just 10 lbs of torque and you're done.  Remember: the design is self-tightening.  Also as far as accuracy goes, in a recent test I read on the system conducted at JRTC, a number of M-24 clones were tested with the Vortex and the accuracy actually improved.  Same goes for recent test at APG on the M-249. In earlier testing they incorrectly installed them with washers with dreadful results. I have three of the systems: G-6, M-14 and a .300 RUM Rem-700 -- all superior by every measure over OEM unit/bare barrel.    
View Quote

Mach6,

I looked on Smith Enterprise's website and didn't see anything about the G6 model. I did see the G5 (which I bought a few months ago and really like), but nothing about a G6. Is there some other site that has info about the G6? Also, you mentioned having one of these on a Rem 700. Where did you find that. I would love to have one for mine. Did you have to have your barrel threaded or does it attach some other way? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Since the best ARs made shoot 1/4 MOA. With the best ammo made. That leaves less than 3/4 MOA of mistake between your less than the best AR made and military spec ammo no where shoots that good.

Poser Poser I call you a poser.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Mach6,

I looked on Smith Enterprise's website and didn't see anything about the G6 model. I did see the G5 (which I bought a few months ago and really like), but nothing about a G6. Is there some other site that has info about the G6? Also, you mentioned having one of these on a Rem 700. Where did you find that. I would love to have one for mine. Did you have to have your barrel threaded or does it attach some other way? Thanks. [/quote]
------------

The G-6 for the M4/16/249 is very new. The G-6 variant has a skirt at the rear going over the barrel.  It is also designed to work with the new AT LTD QD suppressor buuilt for USSOCOM.  Currently, you must either call up Smith Enterprise and ask for it by name or wait until the Brownell's catalog comes out in a few days.
The one for the Rem 700 is in the current Brownell's, IIRC.  If not, you can ask about that one as well.  They'll be more than glad to tell you about some recent testing by some Nat'l Guard types at JRTC.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top