Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2003 3:08:55 PM EDT
From what I understand, one of the changes to the M-16 that occured in the '60s was the redesign/alteration of the buffer in the stock. Can somebody please explain this to me?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#1]
According to “The Complete AR-15/M16 Sourcebook” by Duncan Long, the buffer was changed in 1966 in order to lower the cyclic rate. “Colt engineers....devised a new buffer assembly that incorporated steel weights along with rubber pads inside it’s body rather than the hollow compression rings that had been used previously. This new assembly, coupled with a polyurethane bumper on the end of the buffer, lowered the cyclic rate of the rifle to 850rpm.... and had the added benefit of lowering the abuse on the action during recoil.  It also improved the chambering of cartridges due to the rebound of the polyurethane plastic off the rear of the buffer tube, making automatic fire more reliable.”

If you’re interested in the history and evolution of the AR-15/M-16 Duncan Long’s book is, in my opinion, a great source of information.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You referrign to an "edgewater" buffer?

[img]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/buffers/Edgewtr1.jpg[/img]

I just happen to have one of these for my SP1. Really light.

[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/buffers/[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top