Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2003 8:48:27 AM EDT
I am curious what the general opinion of the A.S.A. AR-15 rifles is on the forum. A friend of mine has a bull barreled  Lothar Walter stainless upper on an A.S.A. lower. Looks nice enough and seems to shoot accurately but he's had hi share of problems. Like the bolt coming apart recently. Seems the screws were peened properly where the gas nipple fastens.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#1]
This should be of some help, [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=165789&w=searchPop[/url], same question, different day.....

BTW, [b]Seems the screws were peened [red][b]im[/b][/red]properly where the gas [s]nipple[/s] [red][b]key[/b][/red] fastens, [red][b]to the bolt carrier[/b][/red]. Common problem, not exclusively occuring on ASA rifles, tho.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Ask the guys in the Arizona forum, see what they think of them [;)]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Avoid them like the plague!
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had one that I bought new, just over two years ago.  Second time out to the range it started jaming.  Called them up and explained the probem.  Guy I talked to was so concerned, he offered to wait till I could get there after work.  He told me to come get him in the haircut place next door.  They went ahead and exchanged out the upper and explained to me the proper way to lubricate it.  This was my first AR and I didn't know you shouldn't use Remmington Dry Lube!  Got about 4000 rnds through it now.

But, from what I hear on this site, I may be the exception to the rule, as far as service goes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Topics like these bring back memories of threads containing words like ASAhole, asshole-bob, and no gas port hole. Those were the days.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
ASA, and hesse/vulcan arms make what they laughingly refer to as "firearms",  are nothing more then pieces of shit....do not buy either product.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]
JUNK DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT .ONE OF THE WORST PIECES OF SHIT THERE IS .
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've go a 20" that I built.  Works great, shoots very well.  I stopped by their store when I was in Phoenix once, they were nice folks to talk to.  I have to wonder how may real 'data points' all the trash talk is based on.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've go a 20" that I built.  Works great, shoots very well.  I stopped by their store when I was in Phoenix once, they were nice folks to talk to.  I have to wonder how may real 'data points' all the trash talk is based on.
View Quote

A lot of data points.  There are few people in the AZ area that call Bob a friend.  Quite a few who call him an asshole.   Some of his employees over the years have been OK.   But the family owners are not.  And they will decide if you will be treated right in the end.  

Look at it this way.  Why do business with ASA?

1)  Is their service good?  No.  Their reputation for customer service sucks.  They earned it.   MANY data points.

2)  BIG price difference from the major players?  No.  Their prices aren't much different than the major players.

3)  Resale of ASA rifles is much lower than one of the bigger players.  

It really is simple.  There is no benefit to doing business with ASA.  You have a higher percentage chance of getting a problem rifle, and a lower percentage chance of being treated properly.  And you lose money the minute you buy as your resale is way lower.  Stick to BM, Colt, RRA, Armalite.  You are doing yourself a favor.

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#10]
 Precisely what jimmybcool said.  I will also add that I shoot at a VERY busy public range here in AZ very, very regularly and I see LOTS of AR-15's and by far and above ASA's are the worst.  In fact I have seen only ONE that worked for any length of time at all....and THAT one had been back to the factory TWICE.

PASS, dude!  PASS.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#11]
jimmybcool can speak from first-hand experience when it comes to ASA customer service, not a happy story.  Oh if only someone had cached all the old threads on their industry forum when it used to exist.  The horror, the horror...
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#12]
While I haven't had a lot of experience with most AR makers I have checked all threads on all of them and asked a lot of questions. From what I have seen here is a list of the best dealers with the best products at the lowest prices.

1. J&T distributing = lowest price & grate customer service.

2.RRA with Adco or pete's legal transfer as the dealer.=grate products a little higher than J&T and grate customer service.

3.Dmps with CMMG as the dealer I here no bad reports on him or what he sells.

4.Bushmaster high price but most people like them.

Depending on what I wanted these are the companies I would most likely do business with
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#13]
But do they grate cheese?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#14]
The forward assist notches on the bolt carrier should be able to, yes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The forward assist notches on the bolt carrier should be able to, yes.
View Quote

[ROFL] Good one.

Explain the cheese in your AR to the ASA Customer service dept.! [nono]

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:21:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my ASA. As for customer service, I have never used them I purchased a strippedrcvr and then built it myself in about 20 minutes..Never not once ever a problem.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Remember that most of the small parts ASA uses in their kits are Chinese. The problems with most ASA rifles center around the gas port and the chamber. They are notorious for cutting bad chambers and incorrectly drilling gas ports. The rifles are hard to give away locally.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Come November when the case goes to trial ASA will probably no longer exist as we know it. ASA offered it's assets to Armalite to drop the suit and Armalite said no.

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=190497&w=myTopicPop[/url]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#19]
About four years ago when I first found this site, ASA had a section and their own moderator.Every time I logged on, I would go to the ASA section the same as I would go to the Comics in the Sunday Paper. It was a guaranteed laugh to read all the problems, the universal bitching about ASA, and the generally nasty replies by ASA (when they bothered to reply). When the heat got too hot, ASA (the moderator) deleted all threads. However, in no time at all, new problems and especially rotten customer service stories got posted. Yes, there have been hundreds of data points listed here that all point to ASA being THE bottom feeder in customer service and uppers. Strangely enough, there never were many complaints about lowers. When I saw this set about ASA, I just had to read and get my daily laugh. Good one, Not-A-Llama.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top